Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sigil Magick.

Hermai

5 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I don't. They haven't. And 'magick' isn't a word...

Do you? How have they shaped your life?

Look out. It's the grammar police.

• Like 2

Gotta say... I don't do magick either... I find the spelling silly.

But I have cast sigils. Basic stuff like circles and such. Lots of folks make sigils when the cross themselves. Some folks get into more intricate sigils too.

• Like 2

Figure it best to define what it is first for those who don't know it:

A sigil (/ˈsɪəl/; pl. sigilla or sigils; from Latin sigillum "seal") is a symbol used in magic. The term has usually referred to a type of pictorial signature of a demon or other entity; in modern usage, especially in the context of chaos magic, it refers to a symbolic representation of the magician's desired outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigil_(magic

As for me personally, no. Not cause I'm not interested in it, merely because I haven't studied it thoroughly enough to try it.

It's always best to study up on whatever it is before messing around with this sorta stuff. Can be dangerous.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Invisig0th said:

Who have, apparently, never heard of Crowley.

• Like 5

I use sigils. 

Some people don't understand that magick is about affecting the subconscious. 

People who respect Crowley's work (and to do that, you don't need to respect Crowley, personally) often use the spelling with the k at the end. 

Has it helped me? Sure. Sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes I don't, but it always makes me feel better about things I don't have any control over. 

The L/S (Ellis/Linking Sigil) helped me with spider issues. I also had what some people might call hypnagogic hallucination of large "shadow spiders." And no...I don't use hallucinogens. 

Anyway, L/S Sigil + LBRP and no more hypnagogia (or other things that go bump in the night) ever since.

• Like 4

Here's L/S in case anyone else has arachnophobia issues...

Image result for linking sigil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Invisig0th said:

It’s got nothing to do with grammar.

Just now, Timonthy said:

Neither do I. 

And you don't do sigil magick, either. 

So...what's your point? 

As I said before, magick is about affecting the subconscious. 

Most people don't realize that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

And you don't do sigil magick, either. 

So...what's your point? 

As I said before, magick is about affecting the subconscious. 

Most people don't realize that. 

I was just responding honestly to the OP. You’re the one who mentioned Crowley, 

My point is; that’s exactly what magic is, nothing magical, purely psychological/physiological. 

We know each others positions on this so let’s leave it at that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timonthy said:

I was just responding honestly to the OP. You’re the one who mentioned Crowley, 

My point is; that’s exactly what magic is, nothing magical, purely psychological/physiological. 

We know each others positions on this so let’s leave it at that.

I mentioned Crowley because he was the origin of the revival of the magick with a k spelling. 

Since he is responsible for what most people know about modern magick, I use it as a nod to him. 

The term itself is an Early Modern English spelling for magic, used in works such as the 1651 translation of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa's De Occulta Philosophia, Three Books of Occult Philosophy, or Of Magick. Aleister Crowley chose the spelling to differentiate his practices and rituals from stage magic and the term has since been re-popularised by those who have adopted elements of his teachings.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUvL2o7IHXAhWJ2yYKHQgtAQsQFgg2MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMagick_(Thelema)&usg=AOvVaw1AGpVIjKDgeD-leEJ84WeU

It's a word and its a practice. It's also misunderstood by many people. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 4

On 10/20/2017 at 5:52 PM, ChaosRose said:

Here's L/S in case anyone else has arachnophobia issues...

Image result for linking sigil

How does it work/help, Rose?

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

How does it work/help, Rose?

It's a linking sigil, so it connects to an interconnected web of practitioners. A "current," so to speak. 

Since it's linking to a web, it has various ideas associated with it. Some envision it as a Red Queen, and some as a spider. 

It's like doing regular chaos magick, and then packing a huge wallop, because you tap into the current. 

So if you think of magick as being psychological, the psychological impact of all of those people linking together is even more powerful than usual. 

I just imagined Ellis as the Spider Queen. I charged the sigil and I keep it. In doing so, I have adjusted my subconscious mind. 

Who needs to fear spider nightmares or the average house spider, when you've got Ellis on your side? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

It's a linking sigil, so it connects to an interconnected web of practitioners. A "current," so to speak. 

Since it's linking to a web, it has various ideas associated with it. Some envision it as a Red Queen, and some as a spider. 

It's like doing regular chaos magick, and then packing a huge wallop, because you tap into the current. 

So if you think of magick as being psychological, the psychological impact of all of those people linking together is even more powerful than usual. 

I just imagined Ellis as the Spider Queen. I charged the sigil and I keep it. In doing so, I have adjusted my subconscious mind. 

Who needs to fear spider nightmares or the average house spider, when you've got Ellis on your side? 

I don't know much about magik, but to me it sounds interesting. 

Edited by Sherapy

I use the Futhark.  I've been working with thought/forms object/word/symbols much of my life.

Potent manner for consciously tapping into the underlying currents of awareness on the subtle level.

Tricky stuff though... but only as tricky as walking an unfamiliar path in the dark... take your time and be very present and connected and avoid problematic areas.

Sigils are a symbolic representation of one's will, wish, or desire. Used similar to affirmations to impress upon the subconscious one's will. This changes how you (the caster) thinks, feels, and acts. They are very easy to create and uses. However sigils like Ellis are more or less a memetic virus. Corporate logo's are sigils. 

• Like 5

Interesting discussion of what I know nothing till now.  Looking back, my brother and I saw, what after reading this I understand must of been a sigil drawn on the wall of an old cob hut we took refuge in during a rainstorm whilst the owner was absent. (We were uninvited)

From memory it was circular, like a dream catcher, it had bird feathers sticking out of some holes in it, and letters. I posted about it one other time.

It was fascinating but we mocked it, hard! It became the object of our humour, we had a great laugh at the weird 'birdman' art, like, why didn't he get a real dartboard etc etc...

The joke was on us, we both had the worst sleep, plagued by nightmares.

To top it off the next day we were pulled over searched and questioned by detectives for a crime we did not commit...

Strangest thing is, when we were asked where we slept the  night (we were from out of town) we both had a memory blank. We could NOT recall (We were questioned separately at the same time) and it turned out we both gave the same answer, that we camped down at the river...

Long story short, do I believe in the power of sigil?  Yes. For sure.  First hand on the opposite side of one.  As for mocking stuff like that, believe me it is real.  It did affect our minds and I'm glad I have read this thread.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:58 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I enjoy some Magick: The Gatheringk. 

This is the most underrated comment on this whole website. 10/10.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2017 at 4:29 PM, XenoFish said:

Sigils are a symbolic representation of one's will, wish, or desire. Used similar to affirmations to impress upon the subconscious one's will. This changes how you (the caster) thinks, feels, and acts. They are very easy to create and uses. However sigils like Ellis are more or less a memetic virus. Corporate logo's are sigils. 

Similar to reptilian projections, sigils may be used to manifest the caster's will. Once the will has become manifest in reality, the 'symbolism' of the sigil gives way to a concrete energy.

12 minutes ago, Invisig0th said:

Similar to reptilian projections, sigils may be used to manifest the caster's will. Once the will has become manifest in reality, the 'symbolism' of the sigil gives way to a concrete energy.

What? That sounds like some tabletop rpg garbage. Sigils are purely a personal psychological tool. They don't cast illusions on people. This isn't some Harry Potter magic. 

• Like 2