Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pterodactyls found to come from eggs

UM-Bot

Image credit: Mark Witton, Darren Naish
Image credit: Mark Witton, Darren Naish
Pterodactyls, or "winged dinosaurs," were born from egg cells, according to new research by a Chinese professor. The discovery, which was featured in the latest issue of the British magazine Nature, was made by Prof. Ji Qiang, at the Geo science Department College of Nanjing University in east China's Jiangsu Province.

It remains controversial among scientists worldwide whether pterodactyls, Mesozoic reptiles capable of flight, were viviparous or oviparous.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Xinhuanet.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• ROGER

• dnb420

• binderbird

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldnt it be obvious they came from eggs?

Thats what I thought...guess scientists hadn't confirmed it until now...though it's really not that big of a deal IMO.

Yeah, not to echo everyone else's opinion, but I didn't know this was even in question. Weren't pterodons and such known to be a type of reptile?

dinosaurs evolved from birds right? birds layed eggs, dinosaurs lay eggs i wouldnt doubt this critter came from an egg.

Edited by dnb420

I thought all dino's came from eggs, was there ever a question about the matter? hmm.gif

Yes, but the big question is which came first; the pterodactyl or the egg?

I thought all dino's came from eggs, was there ever a question about the matter? hmm.gif

444049[/snapback]

Pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs. It was generally believed that they gave birth to live young like bats. This news, while expected, is new.

• 4 weeks later...

Some snakes lay eggs - some give live birth. Many dinosaur eggs have been found but it's not certain which dinosaurs gave birth live and which laid eggs.

Birds are thought to have evolved from one group of dinosaurs, not the other way around.

Absolutely. The raptors.

I always just assumed they did come from eggs... i never knew that they thought they didn't.

• 4 months later...

It looks like I may have a pterodactyl egg. I am not the person who found it. I bought it in a box of junk, rocks and some fossilized bones that was rolling around in the trunk of a junk car. I seem to remember he said it was just laying on the ground on their farm somewhere in south west Kansas right on the Kansas border. He picked it up and thought it was just a cool looking rock and believed that even after I told him it was an egg.

I was hoping someone could inspect the minerals and determine the formation. I would also like to get a CT scan or MRI to see inside a little better.

My Windows picture and fax viewer blows up the x-ray images really good and shows a lot of other features. I also see what looks like fingers in one x-ray. I have examined hundreds of fossil egg pictures and none look like mine. The only thing I have found that matches is a description of a pterodactyl egg found in in Yixian County in northeast China in September of 2003. It measures 6.3 cm x 3.6 cm. It matches the dimensions of a chicken egg. Mine measures 4.9 cm x 6.9 cm and is in almost perfect condition.

I believe the significance of the discovery lies in its value in helping further research in pterodactyls' reproduction, evolution and living environment not to mention the monetary value.

You can see it here. The x-rays are stunning. http://community.webshots.com/album/251914063BnyFDM Tell me what you all think. I took it to my bank and put in a safety deposit box so the only pics I can give right now are on the Webshots page.

post-19110-1117978606_thumb.jpg

disgust.gif May not be worth much without a positive point of origin and research of the area to assess its climatic environment at the time of fossilization. Other wise you have a pretty rock. thumbsup.gif

The owner of the Museum Of World History here in Wichita told it to me this way. "There are people that go out and hunt Deer, Bear and such then mount the trophy on their walls. Then there are people with more money that go to Africa, bag their kill and mount Tigers and Rhinos on their wall". He went on to say "there are some super rich that spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Pterodactyls to hang on their walls". Then he said "you know what Brian? Not one of them have a Pterodactyl egg on their mantle or on their desk"! He said " you have an egg that is priceless".