Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Einstein's 'secret to happiness' revealed

UM-Bot

Is it chocolate? I bet it's chocolate.

• Like 4

Not bad for a drop out.

7 minutes ago, TripGun said:

Not bad for a drop out.

Well, he did get a degree and a doctorate.

1922 was the year after he won the Nobel Prize. I bet that made him happy, especially as he gave the money to his first wife who had been nagging him for years ... 

• Like 1

I think that's it. They've searched all his stuff and this is the last thing ever brought up.

Why not just quote the items, given they are hardly groundbreaking..?   Einstein's statements were:

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest.”

(which sounds a lot like my approach!)  and, with much less originality:

“Where there's a will, there's a way.”

The latter proverb has been around (in slightly different grammar), since 1640...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I never thought of Einstein as a "happy person".  

I always thought he was a happy person. I have read a number of anecdotes that mention how he was often in fits of laughter and his laugh sounded like a barking seal.

Einstein-Laughing.jpg

• Like 5

There are still plenty more mysteries out there.  For instance I note his secret to sadness was not revealed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, taniwha said:

There are still plenty more mysteries out there.  For instance I note his secret to sadness was not revealed.

Charlie Chaplin described Einstein as a "hopeless sentimental with an almost child-like belief in the goodness of humanity". What was happening in Germany from the 1920's onward saddened and then horrified Einstein.

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest.”

Agreed! :P

• Like 2

I read an anecdote that demonstrates Einstein's sense of humor. For the last twenty years of his life he carried out a "battle" with his friend Niels Bohr over the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Every year Bohr would visit Einstein and stay for a few weeks at his home in Princeton. Bohr liked to stay up on his own into the early hours, carrying on with his work, drinking wine and smoking his pipe. On one occasion he heard the floorboards behind him creak. He turned and saw Einstein, bare-footed and in his dressing gown, reaching for Bohr's tobacco pouch.

"What on Earth are you doing, dear Einstein," Bohr said.

Einstein replied: "My doctor and my daughter have told me I am no longer allowed to smoke. They said I must not buy tobacco or ask anyone for tobacco. But no one said I couldn't steal tobacco."

Okay, it's not the funniest story ever, but it made me laugh.   

• Like 6

17 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Is it chocolate? I bet it's chocolate.

aigner_lucien_342_1982_456148_displaysize.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

I read an anecdote that demonstrates Einstein's sense of humor. For the last twenty years of his life he carried out a "battle" with his friend Niels Bohr over the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Every year Bohr would visit Einstein and stay for a few weeks at his home in Princeton. Bohr liked to stay up on his own into the early hours, carrying on with his work, drinking wine and smoking his pipe. On one occasion he heard the floorboards behind him creak. He turned and saw Einstein, bare-footed and in his dressing gown, reaching for Bohr's tobacco pouch.

"What on Earth are you doing, dear Einstein," Bohr said.

Einstein replied: "My doctor and my daughter have told me I am no longer allowed to smoke. They said I must not buy tobacco or ask anyone for tobacco. But no one said I couldn't steal tobacco."

Okay, it's not the funniest story ever, but it made me laugh.   

I know another anecdote about Einstein and Bohr.

Once Einstein went to visit Bohr and the Institute for Theoritical Physics in Copenhagen* and Bohr went to pick him up at the central station.When on the tram they had one of their discussions, or "battles" as Derek mentioned, and lost track of time and place. This meant that they completely missed their stop. When the became aware of this they took another tram in the opposite diection, continuing their discussion, and they missed their stop again. The third attempt was successfull. :P

*) Today it is fittingly known as the Niels Bohr Institute.

• Like 3

If anyone is interested in Einstein, Geographic aired a drama on his life earlier this year called Genius. Apart from a few dodgy accents it was pretty good. It documents all his major achievements and his reaction to the rise of the NAZI party. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

If anyone is interested in Einstein, Geographic aired a drama on his life earlier this year called Genius. Apart from a few dodgy accents it was pretty good. It documents all his major achievements and his reaction to the rise of the NAZI party. 

Sounds good. I also like Geoffrey Rush. What a marvellous and interesting man Einstein was. I also loved his wild and crazy hair :P.. 

• Like 1

MonroeEnstein_AudeOliva2007.jpg

:D Anyone seen this image before? Freaky stuff (un-focus your eyes slightly and what do you see?).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

33 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I know another anecdote about Einstein and Bohr.

Once Einstein went to visit Bohr and the Institute for Theoritical Physics in Copenhagen* and Bohr went to pick him up at the central station.When on the tram they had one of their discussions, or "battles" as Derek mentioned, and lost track of time and place. This meant that they completely missed their stop. When the became aware of this they took another tram in the opposite diection, continuing their discussion, and they missed their stop again. The third attempt was successfull. :P

*) Today it is fittingly known as the Niels Bohr Institute.

Hee hee I was just about to post this story :)

Many Danes know this story.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

MonroeEnstein_AudeOliva2007.jpg

:D Anyone seen this image before? Freaky stuff (un-focus your eyes slightly and what do you see?).

Ok, so I cheated a bit and did a google search. It came up with Marilyn Monroe ?....seriously :lol:

24 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Sounds good. I also like Geoffrey Rush. What a marvellous and interesting man Einstein was. I also loved his wild and crazy hair :P.. 

Has that anything to do with Geoffrey rush being an Australian ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Ok, so I cheated a bit and did a google search. It came up with Marilyn Monroe ?....seriously :lol:

You can't see it? The pic turns into Marilyn, yeah. It's a weird one.

• Like 1

Just now, Derek Willis said:

Has that anything to do with Geoffrey rush being an Australian ...

Haha...well maybe just a teeny weeny bit. But he is a fine actor just the same, and I bet he plays the older version of Einstein really well :tu: 

1 minute ago, Astra. said:

Haha...well maybe just a teeny weeny bit. But he is a fine actor just the same, and I bet he plays the older version of Einstein really well :tu: 

He is a fine actor, and probably one of the few actors around who could bring out the humanity, modesty, and mischievous nature of Albert Einstein.

• Like 1