Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Comet from the Stars? [merged]

bison

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Waspie, how far out does the Oort cloud go?

It extends to at least 0.8 light years possibly further.

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If the sun was formed at the same time as neighbor stars from a single gas cloud,  would leftover gas and dirt concrete between stellar systems and form chunks of ice, (comets guess) ?

I don't really know, but I suppose it is possible. However if these comets were not in orbit around a star then they would drift of. In the more than 4 billion years since the sun was formed it's sibling stars have drifted far away from each other. Any other object formed from that cloud would do the same.

• Like 1

Thanks for your clarifications, Waspie Dwarf.  A rock from outside the solar system, that is exciting stuff.  What mysteries it must hold. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LucidElement said:

no one has seen anything PING/BOUNCE straight back up after watching it shoot straight down. I mean you gotta admit it’s interesting .

Effect of gravity, not the effect of some literal collisions which alter orbits of bodies.

SETIQuest Info, the SETI Institute's website for its Allen Telescope Array has the following Observer Note for October 30--

"Calibrating to observe A/2017 U1, the mysterious object that has entered the solar system."

The Allen Telescope Array is a radio telescope array  in northern California, intended to search for signs of Extraterrestrial Intelligence. 

Please find a link to the website, below:

http://www.setiquest.info

SETIQuest info reports that A/2017 U1, the hyperbolic object that has entered our solar system, will be observed again tonight at the Allen Telescope Array, in the radio range of 1 to 2 GigaHertz. Since asteroids are not known sources of radio waves, it appears that they may be considering the possibility that the object is something else altogether. 

"It's long been theorized that such objects exist -- asteroids or comets moving around between the stars and occasionally passing through our solar system -- but this is the first such detection..“  from article NASA

While they speculated, others have accurately calculated the absence of orbits and other possible consequences. It should just read.

Opposite to the process of rotation there is the approaching of an object to the poles of a central object, where there are no orbits created, but only collisions of the incoming objects with the central object. These objects also have a speed, just as the objects that approach straight or with an inclination towards the equator do, but these speeds neither create orbits, nor there are observations to support such claims. If there is no rotation, there is also no orbit, no matter what the speed of the incoming object is.https://www.academia.edu/26326626/Weitter_Ducksss_Theory_of_the_Universe

„One object becomes a nova and a large number (millions) of others with the same parameters just go on the same way. It is necessary to consider some very rare factors, like, for example, the impacts of large objects into planets, but even more rare – those that hit only a small part of the objects (one event in more than ten million of objects - stars).

Within the growth of an object, some smaller object is starting a reaction when colliding with a star. If that should remain a rare event, it needs to be a specific event under the specific conditions. The only possible specificity is for that object (the errant objects, incoming from outside the Solar system) to arrive vertically onto one of the poles and to hit the opening of a cyclone that exists on the poles of stars. That way, it would get an opportunity to break into the interior of an object. Comet ISON is the evidence that objects with vertical trajectories really exist in the Universe.“  http://www.svemir-ipaksevrti.com/the-Universe-rotating.html#12b

Comment posted on Facebook

Edited by Weitter Duckss

20 hours ago, bison said:

SETIQuest info reports that A/2017 U1, the hyperbolic object that has entered our solar system, will be observed again tonight at the Allen Telescope Array, in the radio range of 1 to 2 GigaHertz. Since asteroids are not known sources of radio waves, it appears that they may be considering the possibility that the object is something else altogether. 

That would be cool if it was something else. I can't imagine it being a natural radio generator to any great degree, being as it is relatively so small.

22 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I can't imagine it being a natural radio generator to any great degree, being as it is relatively so small.

Actually molecules present in the coma and tails of comets give off signals at radio-wavelengths, for example OH radicals give off a signal at 18cm wavelength. Studying this wavelength allows astronomers to monitor water production.

More here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631070516300767

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tracking the first interstellar asteroid back to its home star

An apparent interstellar asteroid is flying out of our solar system after being first sighted in October. Now, astronomers are trying to trace exactly where it came from, and what this brief visitor might tell us about how planets form.

The asteroid – now named 1I/ʻOumuamua, which means “to reach out from afar” in Hawaiian – sped through our solar system, steeply entering from above the plane on which planets orbit the sun. The gravitational pull of our sun adjusted its sharply curved path, flinging it back out of our solar system at a new angle, never to return again.

arrow3.gif  Read More: New Scientist

The astronomers are now saying that the hyperbolic object is 30 by 180 meters in diameter. This is based on the variable amount of light it appears to reflect, as it spins. This is a remarkably long, thin object, six times longer than it is wide. The longest, thinest asteroids  belonging to our solar system have length to width ratios less than half this.

Edited by bison
removed faulty web address
  • Like 1

The BBC article, linked below, reveals some interesting new details about the hyperbolic visitor to our solar system.  The 'fat cigar'  has become a thin one, instead.

Astronomers think that the object is at least 10 times longer than it is wide. This requires that the two ends line up with Earth, as it rotates. If they don't quite do so, the elongation would be even greater, they find. 

They have a good deal of trouble explaining how such an object could come to be, or hold together, while spinning. If it's a binary asteroid, like Hektor, made of two elongated objects joined end-to-end, it's spinning too rapidly to hold together, they report. Even less likely scenarios have been proposed to explain this object.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42053634   

27 minutes ago, bison said:

The BBC article, linked below, reveals some interesting new details about the hyperbolic visitor to our solar system.  The 'fat cigar'  has become a thin one, instead.

Here is a link to the original European Southern Observatory press release, which is where the BBC got their information from in the first place: ESO Observations Show First Interstellar Asteroid is Like Nothing Seen Before

7 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Here is a link to the original European Southern Observatory press release, which is where the BBC got their information from in the first place: ESO Observations Show First Interstellar Asteroid is Like Nothing Seen Before

I'm curious as to whether it is tumbling end over end or spinning on it's longitudinal axis.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, bison said:

The astronomers are now saying that the hyperbolic object is 30 by 180 meters in diameter. This is based on the variable amount of light it appears to reflect, as it spins. This is a remarkably long, thin object, six times longer than it is wide. The longest, thinest asteroids  belonging to our solar system have length to width ratios less than half this.

Because this is a camouflaged spaceship. Why do you think it absorbs 96% of light? It is not natural for celestial bodies to have shapes that diverge this much from a spherical shape.

We should land a very robust and extremely long range satellite on one of these interstellar objects and have it transmit data as it leaves our solar system. It could tell us whats really outside our solar system. I fear its the 'NOTHING'. Its coming to get us.

3 hours ago, Nzo said:

We should land a very robust and extremely long range satellite on one of these interstellar objects and have it transmit data as it leaves our solar system. It could tell us whats really outside our solar system. I fear its the 'NOTHING'. Its coming to get us.

We lack the technology to achieve the kind of velocity necessary to make such an intercept. 

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

We lack the technology to achieve the kind of velocity necessary to make such an intercept. 

Cant we just use the suns gravitational pull to sling shot the satellite into hyper speed? Or does that send the satellite back in time to 1986? Either way we win.

Edited by Nzo

15 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'm curious as to whether it is tumbling end over end or spinning on it's longitudinal axis.

Essentially end-over-end, they think, based on the radical (10 fold) variations in brightness. The ends probably don't line up with Earth perfectly at any point, so the implied aspect ratio of 10 times longer than wide is probably somewhat low, making it even thinner, and longer, in reality.

The trend in thinking, now, is that this object is quite high in density. It would presumably have to be hold together while spinning, given its strange shape. Spectra of the object suggested similarity to D and P class asteroids in our solar system. These are quite low in density, only about 1.4 times that of water.  

Reminds me of the beginning of "Evolution" - the funny B sci-fi movie with David Duchovny.

On 28/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, Essan said:

It's obviously an Arcturian Megafreighter en route to Kakrafroon.   The sooner they get that hyperspace by-pass built the better, I say! 

So, we should look at Alpha Centauri for the reminder of our demolishion ? :P

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 3:28 AM, LucidElement said:

Ya because it was an alien lol... just kidding, kinda. Who knows honestly what’s out in our endless UNIVERSE.. but I know one thing , no one has seen anything PING/BOUNCE straight back up after watching it shoot straight down. I mean you gotta admit it’s interesting .

unless it was "maneuvered" and the trajectory was intended using sun's gravitational spin to accelerate it's speed. Such "strategic" driving is taken in considered in future planning during interstellar travels. In fact if I recall correctly  Nasa has used moon's gravitational spin to accelerate one of their probes on its way to mars. 

Edited by qxcontinuum

30 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

unless it was "maneuvered" and the trajectory was intended using sun's gravitational spin to accelerate it's speed. Such "strategic" driving is taken in considered in future planning during interstellar travels. In fact if I recall correctly  Nasa has used moon's gravitational spin to accelerate one of their probes on its way to mars. 

Gravitational slingshots, using the Moon and/or other celestrial bodies within our solar system, are a common procedure to accelerate and/or to slow down a spacecraft and this procedure is/has used by various space agencies and various missions, examples: Cassini-Huygens/Voyager 1+2/Rosetta/Juno/Mariner/Pioneer 10+11/New Horizons/Hayabusa and a lot of others.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:12 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

And they still haven't, Sorry, but you don't know this one thing at all. Do you really believe that simply by looking at a picture YOU can determine that an object is displaying Kepler's Laws when the worlds best astronomers with access to some of the most powerful computers on Earth can see no such thing?

There is no "up and down"  There is no "PING/BOUNCE". There is merely a hyperbolic trajectory.

It only appears to be coming "down" because maps traditionally put the north at the top. It would be just as valid to put south at the top and have the comet/asteroid appearing to come up.

It is the very fact that it IS behaving exactly like any other object that enabled astronomers to betermine that it originated outside the solar system in the first place.

I find the possibility that this object originated from out side the solar system highly interesting. I find the inability of people to admit that they don't understand what they are seeing interesting. I find the fact that this object obeys Kepler's Laws like every other solar system object ever observed not so interesting.

It is really hard to tell anything about a picture of virtually anything...

On at least two occasions I have seen what looked exactly like a Missile being launched straight up!  When in fact it was only the trajectory of a jet coming straight at me while increasing its elevation.