Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
bison

A Comet from the Stars? [merged]

92 posts in this topic

Below, please find an article giving further information about the interest of the SETI community in Oumuamua.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=38844

Edited by bison
content revised in consideration of information previously given.
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bison said:

Below, please find an article giving further information about the interest of the SETI community in Oumuamua.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=38844

Hell, I like such stuff:

Besides astronomical observations of this unique object, there is also this remote possibility: That this interloper is an interstellar survey probe, having perhaps dropped down to interplanetary-scale velocities in order to take data during its transit of our solar system, before going on to another star.

1 person likes this

If it were such a probe, it might become unobservable  sooner than expected, when it sped up. I check frequently, but haven't found anything, so far, to indicate that Oumuamua has disappeared. Will check again for new observations, or the lack of same.

\Addendum-- Just checked the Minor Planet Circulars. The latest reported observation of Oumuamua is Nov. 20th, eight days ago. That short a hiatus don't necessarily tell us much. Previous gaps between observations  are similar in length. Past observations: Oct. 25, 26,27, 29. Nov. 1, 10, 13, 20.    

Edited by bison

59 minutes ago, bison said:

If it were such a probe, it might become unobservable  sooner than expected, when it sped up. I check frequently, but haven't found anything, so far, to indicate that Oumuamua has disappeared. Will check again for new observations, or the lack of same.   

Let's assume for a moment that the most unlikely outcome in scientific history turns out to be true and ʻOumuamua turns out to be artificial, surely then you would expect to see some evidence of manoeuvring as the vehicle passed through the solar system. It seems highly unlikely that the vehicle would just allow itself to pass through without taking a look at the most interesting planet in the solar system, the one with technological life. Instead it has passed through following only the laws of Newton and Kepler as it has done so. Odd behaviour for an interstellar spacecraft. Expected behaviour for an interstellar asteroid,

There is of course an other possibility, the builders of this spacecraft don't want us to know that it is artificial. It is pretending to be an asteroid as a form of camouflage. In which case it is not going to start accelerating again until after it is out of reach of our telescopes.

It seems highly unlikely that you are going to see any thing out of the ordinary since the two most logical conclusions for the behaviour of ʻOumuamua so far are that it is a natural object and, in the extraordinarily unlikely event that it isn't, it wants humanity to think it is a natural object.

Finally what do you expect to discover that the experts that are actually tracking this thing can't? Do you really think that all the world's astronomers will miss the first non-human made object ever to make a manoeuvre not consistent with Kepler and Newton? Do you really believe they are all that incompetent?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typos.

Speaking of SETI interest in Oumuamua, the SETI Institute's Allen Telescope Array is aimed at that mysterious object as I type this. They've concentrated all their observing power into one beam. It's usually three beams pointed at different objects. Link to their website:

http://www.setiquest.org

Edited by bison

Again, tonight, the Allen Telescope Array is monitoring Oumuamua.  At the moment they're listening around 8.52 Ghz. The position of the object is little changed from last night. The Right Ascension remains the same: 23.30 hours. The Declination has shifted from 6.98 to 7.03 degrees. Both positions are in the constellation Pisces. 

Oumuamua is under observation again tonight, at the Allen Telescope Array. That's quite a lot of attention it's received lately.  It's apparently deemed at least as worthwhile, as a potential SETI target, as exoplanets, the usual points of interest. 

Position now Right Ascension 23.30 hours, Declination 7.21 degrees.  

Edited by bison
added information, also edited for style

The Breakthrough Listen project will monitor Oumuamua for narrow-band (artificial) radio emissions for 10 hours today, starting at 20 hours GMT, about an hour and a quarter from now. They will listen with the hundred-meter-wide Green Bank Telescope, in West Virginia.

This radio telescope is reportedly sensitive enough to detect a signal of one watt strength, about the same as a mobile phone, from the current distance of Oumuamua.  This amounts to about 7 &1/2 times the sensitivity of the Allen Telescope Array, which the SETI Institute recently used to repeatedly monitor this object.   

1 person likes this

On 11/25/2017 at 11:35 AM, seanjo said:

No...it's a rock...

Do you mean a probe shaped like a rock? That's a great idea. 

On 11/25/2017 at 11:35 AM, seanjo said:

No...it's a rock...

Let's see you joined in 2016 and I've been around since 2006, so it's my opinion that will matter here. 

3 minutes ago, atom2084 said:

Let's see you joined in 2016 and I've been around since 2006, so it's my opinion that will matter here. 

Seniority does not guarantee a higher level of comment quality. Your insane statement below, which you provided based on an opinion only, is a very good example for a comment of a very bad quality by a senoir member:

On 25.11.2017 at 5:25 PM, atom2084 said:

It is a probe, my friend. It is not a human probe. Intelligently designed and masterfully built for interstellar travel. (...)

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, toast said:

Seniority does not guarantee a higher level of comment quality. Your insane statement below, which you provided based on an opinion only, is a very good example for a comment of a very bad quality by a senoir member:

You guys are way too serious about yourselves. I can give a F!#$ about seniority. I was just picking on the person for calling me out with his one phrase statement which so often happens here. 

Edited by atom2084
toast made me

1 minute ago, atom2084 said:

-

Pls correct your quote as it contains what you said and not what I said.

5 minutes ago, toast said:

Pls correct your quote as it contains what you said and not what I said.

Done. Hey don't you tell me what to do. haha

2 minutes ago, atom2084 said:

Done. Hey don't you tell me what to do. haha

If you manipulate my comments, I have to and will tell you .

Just now, toast said:

I guess it would be considered manipulating your comment. Understood. I will make sure not to manipulate your comments. 

Do you feel better now? I hope you're happy with yourself. 

Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas depending on wherever in the F!$# you're from. haha

3 minutes ago, toast said:

Now can you check out my new post in the Supernatural forum and tell me what you think of the apparition photo?