Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
seeder

Man flies in camping chair with balloons

14 posts in this topic

Quote

Man in 100-balloons camping chair flight

A British adventurer has flown 25km (15.5 miles) across South Africa suspended from 100 helium balloons.

Tom Morgan, from Bristol, reached heights of 8,000ft (2,438m) while strapped to a camping chair, in scenes reminiscent of the Pixar smash Up.

The 38-year-old spent two days inflating balloons ahead of the flight, which he described as "magical".

The challenge moved to South Africa on Friday after several failed attempts in Botswana.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41737642

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

This is nothing new.  People have been doing it for years.  I just hope he brought a parachute with him just in case a rogue flock of birds decided he was not welcome.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once took a hot air balloon ride.  I was amazed at how little control they have once the balloon is in the air.  It was pretty much like soon after we took off the "pilot" was planning the landing.  So much of it was chance.  We ended up crashing (not too badly) in a field..

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading about a guy tying balloons to a lawn chair when I was a kid. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I swore when I grew up I was going to do that myself. Never did do it. Kinda grew a little to big. It would take a LOT of balloons to get my big a$$ off the ground.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spirit Ninja said:

I once took a hot air balloon ride.  I was amazed at how little control they have once the balloon is in the air.  It was pretty much like soon after we took off the "pilot" was planning the landing.  So much of it was chance.  We ended up crashing (not too badly) in a field..

If your ride was paid for by you, the "pilot" should have had a landing place in mind.  Granted if the wind shifted his original choice might not have been possible, but he should have planned for any issues.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This must have been how ancient man achieved flight.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, that's just silly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Why not said:

I remember reading about a guy tying balloons to a lawn chair when I was a kid. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I swore when I grew up I was going to do that myself. Never did do it. Kinda grew a little to big. It would take a LOT of balloons to get my big a$$ off the ground.

33-year-old One-Trick Wonder Larry Walters never accomplished anything else in his life before offing himself 11 years later. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me of that king of the hill episode where they strap bill in a lawn chair with balloons attached...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News reportrs should report this as a stupid stunt, no wonder people keep doing stupider stuff everyday for 1m of fame

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U see all sorts of weirdos in this world..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8000ft.    Good gads that would be scary in a camping chair.  

 

 

I didn't have any luck finding a pic of the camping chair.   I'm guessing it was modified quite a bit.

Edited by Myles
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Myles said:

8000ft.    Good gads that would be scary in a camping chair.  

 

 

I didn't have any luck finding a pic of the camping chair.   I'm guessing it was modified quite a bit.

I'm not sure why there appears to be two different ones but neither of them look to be too technical in their design or modifications...

tom-morgan-helium3-ht-mem-171025_4x3_992

Whichever, he still needs his bumps feeling for attempting such a feat. cuckoo.gif

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.