Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First country to grant citizenship to a robot

Still Waters

A humanoid robot took the stage at the Future Investment Initiative yesterday and had an amusing exchange with the host to the delight of hundreds of delegates.

Smartphones were held aloft as Sophia, a robot designed by Hong Kong company Hanson Robotics, gave a presentation that demonstrated her capacity for human expression.

Sophia made global headlines when she was granted Saudi citizenship, making the kingdom the first country in the world to offer its citizenship to a robot.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1183166/saudi-arabia

Does Saudi robot citizen have more rights than women?

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1183166/saudi-arabia

• Like 5

At last! The "perfect" citizen! One that only responds as it is told to (i.e. programmed)...

• Like 7

I wonder when the day will be come when one can Legally take a Robot to be a Legitimate Husband or Wife ....

~

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I wonder when the day will be come when one can Legally take a Robot to be a Legitimate Husband or Wife ....

~

Hasn't that already happened in Japan?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taun said:

Hasn't that already happened in Japan?

Marriages ... Yes ... though not quite that clear cut on the 'Legality' aspects ...

~

Meanwhile, robots are getting married in Japan - Mashable

mashable.com/2015/06/28/robots-wedding-japan/
Jun 28, 2015 - The wedding was organized by Maywa Denki, an art collective conceived by two brothers, Masamichi and Novmichi, according to the company ...
Apr 4, 2017 - A Chinese artificial intelligence engineer has given up on the search for love and “married” a robot he built himself. ... Zheng had also become tired of the constant nagging from his family and pressure to get married, so he turned to a robot he built late last year and named ...

Dec 24, 2016 - Experts predict human-robot marriage will be legal by 2050 ... Cheok points out that in Japan and South Korea, there are already cases of ...

~

• Like 1

Good for robots. Maybe women will be next.

• Like 6

And... Because the robot looks like a woman, its driving privileges have been curtailed, and it should wear something over that metallic head.

• Like 5

I think it's weird to grant any rights ,or attribute any humanness, to a machine.  No matter how sophisticated a machine becomes it will never be a living being. 

• Like 2

what?  No Burkha?  

• Like 2

It's a new form of suicide bomber.  :blink:

• Like 2

I would be interested in seeing a non-scripted interview with the robot. Wonder how intelligent it would appear to be then.

• Like 1

I’m guessing it was programmed to recite Muslim scripture...

• Like 1

I don't want a robot with rights, I want a slave.  I want it to work for me, mow the lawn, sweep the floor, build a car, etc and I don't want it to give no lip about it, either. Build a smart machine that has feelings will be no end of trouble. It would be like having a kid, it would debate you over everything. "Take out the trash." "Aww.... I'm in the middle of my game.... aww... do I have tooo..."   If they give it rights when I throw the useless piece to crap in the trash somebody will be all upset I killed the robot.  Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lightly said:

I think it's weird to grant any rights ,or attribute any humanness, to a machine.  No matter how sophisticated a machine becomes it will never be a living being. 

That will be the million dollar question won't it?

27 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

That will be the million dollar question won't it?

A living machine?    I don't think so....unless some form of life is incorporated into it's machinery....it will never be alive ?

53 minutes ago, lightly said:

A living machine?    I don't think so....unless some form of life is incorporated into it's machinery....it will never be alive ?

Well machines are already being incorporated into biological life.  Cells may be incorporated into machines as sensors or for some other purpose.  The lines may get pretty blurry.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Wahhabi terminator robots...the end is nigh...

When I first read that I thought it said 'terminal' and I thought; Ya, getting through the airport in Dubai is going to be a freaking robot nightmare.

aoKMyOPg3_480wa_v1.gif

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlyingAngel said:

You go to jail if you hit/sexual harass a robot!

Lol. It's the same if you display that sort of violent sexual abuse even to a bus!

Perverts will be dealt with accordingly.

Skynet..... 79 % loading. Please Wait!

Super dangerous stuff.... at its early stages. People say that robots are good, well as long as they have a pre-fixed set of commands than it is ok. When we start to talk about AI, with " brains ", then things will go south, there is no " might " they will.

It is like we know this is bad and we will do it anyway, " the bug within our code ". So at the very moment, a self-thinking AI connects to world wide web, start evacuating the planet. The scale of such term is as large as money.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Taun said:

At last! The "perfect" citizen! One that only responds as it is told to (i.e. programmed)...

Yes, the perfect suicide bomber!