Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

I heard that breathing is totally useless and foisted on us by NASA and Big Oxygen.

I bet you could hold your breath for an hour, like a whale. You should totally try that.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrbusdriver said:

If the Earth is flat, show me the "edge"...it's gotta be "over there" somewhere...and how "thick" is this flat Earth? ...and why do we have volcanos with a flat Earth? Lots of unanswered questions.

Very good points, especially finding the edges. One should think it's just common sense...but a lot of people seem to lack common sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Let consider this logically

If the earth was a sphere - we'd all fall off. the ancients knew this so they correctly assumed the earth was flat.

Now that we know the earth is flat, then why don't we fall off the edges. Well that's easy because either the earth is infinite - which we know its not - or because all the edges join up to - meaning there are no edges. 

which rather inconveniently brings us back to a sphere.

The only answer is the ancients weren't as smart as we thought they were.

Let's give the ancients some credit. As soon as there was time to figure out things beyond survival the shape of the earth was figured out pretty quickly. Even it's size, to a reasonable approximation. This was a few hundred years BC. 

Average person had more important things to do, but it was known. 

As much of the bluster as there is about Colombus proving the world was round, his real issue was thinking it was much smaller than was believed at the time. 

Luckily he ran into North America. 

• Like 4

I always wonder what happens to JAXA and ESA and Roscosmos in these claims. It's always about NASA it seems. 

• Like 4

My opinion is...

ain't nobody got time for this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

My opinion is...

ain't nobody got time for this.

And yet, here we are.

I know. Hard to believe.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, M4mbo number 5 said:

Is the Earth flat or is it round and why?

An object can be both flat and round, a pizza for example.  Spherical maybe? Or oblately spherical maybe?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

Hi everyone. Im new here.. Just a question.  If the Earth is Oblate  as I've read, why are we constantly visually barraged with the Round Blue Ball in books magazines TV, and being told wholesale that this is the definitive truth..When many disagree it leaves door open for other theories like a flat earth. a square earth a triangle earth. Many different scenarios..

probably because Round Blue Ball is rather more poetic than Oblate. If everyone, such as for éxample David Attenborough, started calling it Oblate, many people would probably go ":huh:". 

3 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Luckily he ran into North America. 

I suppose that depends on your point of view; the people who were already there might not have considered it so lucky ... :mellow:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I suppose that depends on your point of view; the people who were already there might not have considered it so lucky ... :mellow:

I did mean luckily in terms of his belief in the size of the Earth. Not so fortunate for what happened after. 

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think there is this thing called Gravity.

I know I was being flippant.

guess it didn't work out so well for me. :mellow:

5 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

Let's give the ancients some credit

I really do Shodowsot - But on this occasion I was being light hearted about the whole flat earth thing. 

a lot is made of the architecture and early writing, religions, governmental organisation, exploration activities of the ancients. 

But simpler things intrigue me - like the move from the stone age to the bronze age. to me that was a pretty reasonable conceptual leap. Even if it was not a binary change.

Edited by RAyMO

9 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I really do Shodowsot - But on this occasion I was being light hearted about the whole flat earth thing. 

a lot is made of the architecture and early writing, religions, governmental organisation, exploration activities of the ancients. 

But simpler things intrigue me - like the move from the stone age to the bronze age. to me that was a pretty reasonable conceptual leap. Even if it was not a binary change.

Oh I agree actually. A lot of the later stuff, like megalithic building, to me comes off as being simpler. It's get the basics that the hard part to learn. 

At the same time I get annoyed that people tend to treat the people of 2000 years ago as incredibly stupid, needing outside influence to get anything done. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

I heard that breathing is totally useless and foisted on us by NASA and Big Oxygen.

I bet you could hold your breath for an hour, like a whale. You should totally try that.

--Jaylemurph

you first

• Like 1

That’s what she said...

A few years ago I had a dream -- I was flying around over fields and then noticed there were hunters with guns below me -
I saw that the hunters had pointed their guns at me -so I was --- oh oh --- time to get out of the way and fast -
as soon as I thought that I shot upwards at an incredible speed thinking that I had to move faster than the bullet -

high above I reached another world that was kind of similar to ours but kind of different as well -- and it seemed to hover
in space somehow and appeared to be flat - like a flat layer with a world on -

I have pondered on this and think that it must have been another dimension that I was able to access in the dream state -

I just watched this short video and now I'm thinking that maybe I wizzed into the 4th dimension and the 4th dimension
has bits that seem flat but are part of a tesseract 'shape' - so while I am fully confident that the world in this dimension is round
or a little bit oblate because of the spinning - perhaps in the 4th dimension there are bits that seem flat -
so perhaps flat or round depends on what dimension you are in  --

what a palaver eh -- :D

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/07/tesseract-101.html

tesseract image in link~~~~

Admit it. You can’t take your eyes off this object. This is a tesseract and as such is a 4 dimensional shape. Wait, though. We only live in three dimensions, don’t we? So although this object is beautiful, hypnotising almost – what on earth is it and what is it doing here, confounding our lovely three dimensions with its impertinent fourth? Strictly speaking, what you can see above is a two dimensional projection of a three dimensional simulation of a four dimensional tesseract, that’s what.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2017 at 1:13 PM, M4mbo number 5 said:

Is the Earth flat or is it round and why?

I can fly in a jetliner, or sail on a ship, completely around the world, ending-up at my starting point coming from "around the other side"

Explain THAT, flat-earthers.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

I've always thought that the phrase "four corners of the earth" referred to the four cardinal directions, not a belief that the world was literally flat and had corners. Ancient mariners like the Phoenicians would have known better. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone with any education thinks the Earth is flat.   I believe they just miss debate class and like to argue a tough side of an argument. 

Mostly just trolling.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pallidin said:

I can fly in a jetliner, or sail on a ship, completely around the world, ending-up at my starting point coming from "around the other side"

Explain THAT, flat-earthers.

Some think the flat earth is this way

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « north pole world map »

But they obviously are not Australians. :whistle:

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

But they obviously are not Australians. :whistle:

Australia is a myth invented by the round earthers. (:ph34r:)

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Australia is a myth invented by the round earthers. (:ph34r:)

At last someone who agrees with me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

At last someone who agrees with me.

I think you have a point, especially with some of those critters that are supposed to live "there." Kangaroos are clearly CGI. And koala bears? Come on! Nothing in existence can actually exist and be that cute. This makes me suspect that the power behind the "Australia" myth is Disney.

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat.

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

• Like 6