Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

13 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

We must never stop asking questions, but let's stick with the right questions—questions that will lead us to further discovery. The flat earth is not a question because it is not remotely realistic. Literally any question a flat earther strives to ask is answered by simple science.

OK.  Thank you. . The simple science is also what is used to back up their theories too...Is this not True?? The question/ answers that Could lead to further discoveries also depends on the theory and beliefs of the discoverer at the time so too can be biased also??

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, please, there is no such animal. A platypus is just a beaver with a duck's bill glued to its face.

150622_WILD_Platypus.jpg.CROP.promo-medi

Awww. It's so friggin' adorable.

How can you say that? 

You hurt its feelings.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Hey, I love platypuses. Platypi?

Seems like that should be the plural. 

Actually I looked it up before posting because I wasn't sure. It looks like platypuses is the right word.

Edit: I have to agree with kmt_sesh here, there is just no way thats a real animal. :rolleyes:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

But you are still an evil overlord aren't you ? 

Please don't disapoint a poor old yellow man and say that you have turned from the Dark Side.

PS: The Dark Side have the best cookies.

Oh, fear not, I will never do anything to jeopardize access to those cookies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It seems to me that you simply won't accept any attempt at answering your questions, which make me wonder why you asked in the first place ?

Two differences there.. Accepting and Answering. . Which do you want?. One I can give and one I can share

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, fear not, I will never do anything to jeopardize access to those cookies.

No one can resist the Dark Side cookies..... 

dr evil drevil animated GIF

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Alternative facts. 

Because while there is bickering over whether UFOs, Sasquatch, (and no one really believes in fairies anymore) even on the further edge of the conspiracy spectrum it's generally agreed the Earth is a spheroid.

So generally agreed is not the same as generally or collectively known???

3 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

So its going to be one of those threads now. Too many threads end up about arguing semantics. :no:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

ThirdEyePetal, don't let my sometimes gruff and blunt nature put you off. And don't let my Moderator status intimidate you, if it has. As SahdowSot will attest, I'm actually a cuddly and lovable mummy.

You will never sway me that the earth is flat, but I do love a good debate.

Omg Kmt is speaking to me..... (tremble...faint).. Thank you. . Really. I don't think these things you say and simultaneously stoked.. for my reasons.. Your cool... I felt that anyway, dang is that up for debate? ? Now....

16 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So its going to be one of those threads now. Too many threads end up about arguing semantics. :no:

Yeah possibly.. sorry bout it.  But if it's inevitable than so be it..

9 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

I don't think so. 

Most people can agree that the world is round, but they can't explain why. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

No one can resist the Dark Side cookies..... 

dr evil drevil animated GIF

So true.

Forum woo. 

Or maybe user error.

I've had wine.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Forum woo. 

Or maybe user error.

I've had wine.

Haha. I've had some spirits. ..... bourbon  lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

I don't think so. 

Most people can agree that the world is round, but they can't explain why. 

Does not Nasa explain why? Maybe we don't believe? ??

5 minutes ago, ThirdEyePetal said:

Haha. I've had some spirits. ..... bourbon  lol

Spirits...

Image result for scary zombie hands

• Like 3

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, ThirdEyePetal said:

Hi everyone. Im new here.. Just a question.  If the Earth is Oblate  as I've read, why are we constantly visually barraged with the Round Blue Ball in books magazines TV, and being told wholesale that this is the definitive truth..When many disagree it leaves door open for other theories like a flat earth. a square earth a triangle earth. Many different scenarios..

Oblate is still round.

The flat earth "theory" is barely a failed hypothesis. Astronomy destroys it, the motion of the stars shows the earth has two poles, this isn't possible on a flat plane.

• Like 1

Just now, ThirdEyePetal said:

Does not Nasa explain why? Maybe we don't believe? ??

NASA does, of course. 

And let's not forget, as tend to be done in these conspiracy theories, that NASA is not the only space program. 

There's ESA, JAXA, and Roscosmos, and whatever the Chinese space programs name is. Don't remember at the moment. 

That doesn't change people's minds though. 

The basis of the Flat earther conspiracy theory is fundamentalistic religious interpretation, not science. 

One of the ways you can tell that it's pseudoscience is the way it proceeds. 

It isn't interested in producing new knowledge, but inventing solutions to fit their claims into what we do actually observe about the universe. 

There's no new information generated, just stating the premise then attempting to justify it. 

Real science produces new information, finds missing pieces, and rebuilds its theories based off that new information. 

There are parts of it that are settled, but at the extreme edges it's still being discovered and tested. 

Einstein theories are still being put to the test, with a general sense of disappointment when they're found to be right. 

In the last twenty years we've gone from believing there were expo planets but having no proof, to having proof, to even managing to directly image one. 

In comparison, flat earth spends its efforts creating reasons to explain away simple observations (some mathematically complicated, others just horse hockey like the binocular claim) while generating no claims that can be tested. 

And claiming that things like exoplanets are inventions of the Luciferian agenda. 

There's also the side claims of it that don't make sense. 

GPS just wouldn't function under a flat earth model, especially as they do away with general relativity. 

The claim that gravity is fake (even though gravity between objects has been directly measured) and is instead caused by the earth's disc accelerating upwards creates a problem very quickly. In order to continuously accelerate to create the effect of gravity you end up very quickly exceeding the speed of light. 

As part of this claim we must never has landed on the moon, yet we have independent verification of the moons landing from Russia and China. 

On short, the conspiracy would exist on such a level more people would be inside the conspiracy than not. 

And it only gets worse as reaching space becomes more reachable to the average person. 

And it doesn't take a high intelligence to understand this. In fact I'd argue that some in the flat earth society are very intelligent. The math and solutions they come up to explain away the flaws in their ideas shows that. 

And unlike Kmt, as an example, in terms of formal education I can only boast a GED. 

It's the methods that are important. 

Science isn't perfect, and scientists are very much not so. But science has built in a process of self correction. 

As I mentioned earlier, Einstein's theories are still being tested. The Large Hadrian collider was built to test our models of elementary particles, and again it was a mixture of cheer and disappointment that the model was proved. Though even the minor irregularities were highlighted as places for exploration in the future. 

• Like 4

Oh, and on the oblation spherical thing. 

Technically it's true. The earth is a bit squished and bulging at the sides. But it's not really noticeable unless it's closely measured. 

If you were to scale the Earth to a ping-pong ball its actually closer to spherical than the ball is. 

1 hour ago, ShadowSot said:

Alternative facts. 

Because while there is bickering over whether UFOs, Sasquatch, (and no one really believes in fairies anymore) even on the further edge of the conspiracy spectrum it's generally agreed the Earth is a spheroid.

That's not entirely true, the fairy part. Bunches of folks still believe in fairies, they just call them different stuff like ghosts, cryptids, angels, demons, and even aliens now a days- cuz believing in something like a banshee ghost is acceptable, but believing in a banshee fairy is nuts. Of course a lot of fairies have lost popularity in light of how awesome tinker bell and garden gnomes are too.

24 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Spirits...

Image result for scary zombie hands

*ahem*

On closer examination I think you will find those are zombies. 

Just now, ShadowSot said:

*ahem*

On closer examination I think you will find those are zombies. 

Gotta just be a killjoy, don't ya?

It was the scariest pic I could find.

• Like 2

Just now, rashore said:

That's not entirely true, the fairy part. Bunches of folks still believe in fairies, they just call them different stuff like ghosts, cryptids, angels, demons, and even aliens now a days- cuz believing in something like a banshee ghost is acceptable, but believing in a banshee fairy is nuts. Of course a lot of fairies have lost popularity in light of how awesome tinker bell and garden gnomes are too.

Yeah, though that's such a technicality. If you take a long view it all sort of muddles together. And there are people who do believe in fairies, especially in Ireland and Scotland. 

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Gotta just be a killjoy, don't ya?

It was the scariest pic I could find.

Hey, I love me some zombies.