Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

Aquila King   Do you really want a bunch of people who ignore reality to have their own personal spacecraft?? I'm a little nervous that we let them drive a car!

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, JMPD1 said:

Aquila King   Do you really want a bunch of people who ignore reality to have their own personal spacecraft?? I'm a little nervous that we let them drive a car!

Lol, just now noticing this. Quote me man! Quote me! :lol:

Anyway, yeah, I honestly have no clue what to do with people who blatantly ignore reality. Whether it be flat earthers or otherwise. :hmm:

• Like 1

What's uber annoying is when they talk down to rational people and say things like "Learn to do research! The Flat Earth is an objectively verified scientific empirical fact based on all known data!" (granted, thankfully few are this delusional, but there are those who do say things like this)

Really makes me wonder what has to happen in someone's life to bring someone to the point of being that delusional... :blink:

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, LiLToOnZ said:

I believe the earth is flat. There's no proof that any man has made outside w...[snip]

On 3/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, LiLToOnZ said:

I never said I didn't believe the earth was round. I'm entitled to understand both sides at my own accord.    

Well, um, which is it?

• Like 6

One thing I do not understand. Flat Earthers claim that there is a 'conspiracy' to hide the truth.

Someone please tell me what the benefit of "pretending" that the world is a globe would be. IF, if, if, the world were truly flat, what gain is made by claiming that it is, in fact, an oblate sphere?

• Like 4

On 3/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, Aquila King said:

Anyway, yeah, I honestly have no clue what to do with people who blatantly ignore reality. Whether it be flat earthers or otherwise. :hmm:

Ignore them and move on. Such folks appear to be having a dialogue when it's really a monologue. I mean when someone thinks you're ignorant for not believing something they're bringing to the table... that's ridiculous, the burden of proof is on them. No, I haven't been to Antarctica (unlike Douglas Mawson) but I haven't been to China either. I don't know anyone who is Chinese and I don't know anyone who speaks Mandarin or Cantonese and I say everything on TV regarding China is made up in a studio. Possibly Area 51, that remains to be seen. So clearly China isn't real. See what I mean? Why would anyone argue with that? What's the benefit? 

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Ignore them and move on. Such folks appear to be having a dialogue when it's really a monologue. I mean when someone thinks you're ignorant for not believing something they're bringing to the table... that's ridiculous, the burden of proof is on them. No, I haven't been to Antarctica (unlike Douglas Mawson) but I haven't been to China either. I don't know anyone who is Chinese and I don't know anyone who speaks Mandarin or Cantonese and I say everything on TV regarding China is made up in a studio. Possibly Area 51, that remains to be seen. So clearly China isn't real. See what I mean? Why would anyone argue with that? What's the benefit? 

Good point. Not sure whether to be happy or sad that you're the first intelligent person I've heard from today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMPD1 said:

One thing I do not understand. Flat Earthers claim that there is a 'conspiracy' to hide the truth.

Someone please tell me what the benefit of "pretending" that the world is a globe would be. IF, if, if, the world were truly flat, what gain is made by claiming that it is, in fact, an oblate sphere?

I've asked that question before with a notable lack of answers.

The closest I heard any FE-er come with an answer for that was something to do with map sales.

Yeah-uh-huh...

• Like 1

They'll need a new argument, since nobody buys maps anymore.

Harte

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

I keep a Rand McNally in the car at all times. GPS is fine but I prefer to see the route ahead of time. I also don't like to totally depend on technology.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

Thats just proof the conspiracy is working. Maps clearly shows that the world is flat. 

It's so obvious that it is the globe makers that are behind the conspiracy. "Big Globe" is working hard to perpetuate the lie of the spherical Earth.  

• Like 5

On 3/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Thats just proof the conspiracy is working. Maps clearly shows that the world is flat. 

It's so obvious that it is the globe makers that are behind the conspiracy. "Big Globe" is working hard to perpetuate the lie of the spherical Earth.  

All to sell more globes!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

"I got ten thousand units in da warehouse! Whaddya mean it's flat? Jeez, how am I gonna unload these globes?"

• Like 3

Apart from the sarcasm, my belief is that the Earth is not flat.

• Like 1

People think they're being novel because they're "not taking anyone's word for anything."

They're really just being stupid. 

Like I said before, if we don't agree on some basic stuff, we can't ever move forward.

It'd be nice to try and solve real issues that are facing us, but some people are still stuck on whether or not the Earth is flat.

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Ah, but here's the conspiracy behind the conspiracy! :o

Some maps prove he world's not only flat, but zigzagged!!!

rectangular_polyconic_gores-map.png

• Like 2

On 11/24/2017 at 3:46 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

The answer is actually pretty simple:

idsmqb.jpg

LoL! I know my three cats would have already pushed it off...

• Like 2

Flat earthers are sad lonely people that just have a need to belong, no matter how crazy the group is that they belong to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Flat earthers are sad lonely people that just have a need to belong, no matter how crazy the group is that they belong to. 

People find meaning in groups, which is most certainly easier than to find meaning to one's own life as an individual. That is the reason behind majority (if not all) of 'groups' today. Every ideology, even football fans.

I won't go as far as to include nations in the 'groups list' but case could be made there too, especially in the light of all the changes of national borders around the world.

8 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I like to keep an open mind about these things. 

There is nothing wrong with having an open mind, to a point, but once all the evidence points unequivocally to one explanation it is time to accept it. 

As our very own Sir Wearer of Hats once said: "An open mind is like an open door, unless you're careful anything might get in."

Anything's possible.

Not it is not. It is not possible for the Earth to be flat. 

Should we believe that the World was made by being vomitted up by an invisible pink unicorn ? Anything is possible..... right ?

Saying that anything is possible is simply not true. There are many things that a plainly not possible.

Are governments of the world trustworthy?  Doubtful.  We are always only being shown what "they" want us to see.  That's why it's important to think about and check things out for yourself.

Its irrelevant if you believe in what the government tells you. In this case there is so much evidence telling us that the Earth isn't flat. Much of that evidence you can test for yourself. 

There are currently about 200 independent countries in the World and when have they ever all agreed on anything ? Are you really saying that they will all play ball and protect the conspiracy ?

Which brings us to the big question: WHY ?

Why would all of the World be willing to perpetuate this conspiracy, what is the motive for this ?

Unless of course you think that the governments are controlling the Sun, Moon, the planets and the stars, and that the government is also faking the horizon and gravity ? If this is the case, you should seek help immediately.

Believe me, I've read all the arguments for both sides...

It doesn't matter if you have read everything, the important thing is if you understood it. The flatearthers have plenty of arguments, its just that they are all false and like I said you can test this yourself.

In this case we allready knew the answer more than 2000 years ago and nothing have been presented since to refute that. The spherical Earth is an idea that have stood the test of time longer than any other scientific theory.  

https://www.popsci.com/10-ways-you-can-prove-earth-is-round#page-14

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I like to keep an open mind about these things.  Anything's possible.  Are governments of the world trustworthy?  Doubtful.  We are always only being shown what "they" want us to see.  That's why it's important to think about and check things out for yourself.  Believe me, I've read all the arguments for both sides...everything should be questioned.  

How do you figure that?   I'm able to find many different views and studies on any topic.   Frankly, "flat Earth" does not even deserve to have any discussions or studies.       It's a fake conspiracy theory that people who like to argue use.   People do not really believe it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24-3-2018 at 8:17 AM, internetperson said:

Kinda reminds of that whole Skripal thingy, doesnt it. Imagine what it must feel like to simply inquire about a certain theory, to subsequently be attacked by a whole medialandscape in an attempt at character assassination (Corbyn). Fascinating thing is; thesame people who would 'like' what you just said (as they indeed should, given the burden of proof lies with the plaintiff in the civilized world), would be passionately looking for the dislike button if it would be addressing the Skripal incident.

How about that for 'group dynamics'.. Funny how the human mind works sometimes, isnt it.