Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat or not

M4mbo number 5

15 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Uber-cute. Is that a Swedish kitty?

Why are you so mean to that cute little kitty ? <_<

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 4:47 AM, Emma_Acid said:

Another badly worded question. It isn't "fake", but then it isn't what we'd call "video footage" either. But neither of those avenues offer any support for the flat earth model. 

So is that the reason you answered with words without knowledge?  

Well, the funny thing is that the 'flat earth' isn't about the spherical body of terrestrial matter you live on without form and void....

image.jpeg.2b9b2e53fa34143a4303ca693b74c19e.jpeg14

What makes it halarious is the how much that the flat earther's believe they know that the earth was created in Genesis 1:1, while the flat earthers know they believe that the earth was created in Genesis 1;1:

On 1/7/2019 at 4:47 AM, Emma_Acid said:

I think I've made it pretty clear, no?

Yep, as clear as Ecclesiastes 9:5

In case you know but don't know why  :st 

Edited by 029b10

4 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Well, the funny thing is that the 'flat earth' isn't about the spherical body of terrestrial matter you live on without form and void....

What makes it halarious is the how much that the flat earther's believe they know that the earth was created in Genesis 1:1, while the flat earthers know they believe that the earth was created in Genesis 1;1:

Total nonsense. I give up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Your post contains eighty-seven words. If a baby chimpanzee randomly chose eighty-seven words from a dictionary, and then randomly strung them together, they would make more sense than your post does!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Simply download the live camera app from the international space station, sorted.

On 20/01/2019 at 6:37 AM, itsnotoutthere said:

Simply download the live camera app from the international space station, sorted.

And if anyone thinks this isn't just a huge troll, and wants to add more ammunition, it's notable that if you have a reasonable sized antenna (and many ham operators do - ask around..), then, as the ISS goes over you can:

- see it passing overhead for at least a few orbits (until it repeats about 6 weeks later as the orbit gradually migrates around the globe)

- intercept (directionally if you want) the data streaming down from the ISS (i'm pretty sure the live video is not encrypted)

- watch the live footage for yourself as it happens.

Now apart from the fact that our globe's shape is quite obvious from the video footage, you would then have also seen the platform from which the video came, taking a path above you that cannot possibly be anything other than something in earth orbit.  The orbital path and velocity of the orbiting ISS can be worked out using grade school physics knowledge.. It's not rocket science...... oh wait.. {groan}

But then we are talking about flat-earthers - they ain't at grade school level...

13 hours ago, Trelane said:

How do eclipses work if the Earth is flat?

Magic.  They don't believe the moon is reflecting sunlight and is it's own light source as the Bible claims.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Magic.  They don't believe the moon is reflecting sunlight and is it's own light source as the Bible claims.

Really? They can't be serious spouting that garbage. Are they?

I haven't given much time or thought to the flat earth people and their ideas. I had no idea how far the ridiculousness went with them.

Everybody is born for a purpose, it's all part of God's plan, apparently, and flat Earth proponents purpose is to enable a part of the population to feel superior, knowing they are somewhere up the scale of intelligence from such dumbos. Let's not worry if some of them are just winding us up, or are reporting their views from a secure lunatic asylum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

I haven't given much time or thought to the flat earth people and their ideas. I had no idea how far the ridiculousness went with them.

I think some of them are serious, especially the hard core Christian ones who cite scripture to support their delusional belief.

If you've seen any of their material they lack a basic understanding of physics.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trelane said:

Really..........

Here is one of 2 sites I know about.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=20.0

I'm registered there ONLY so I can see the new messages. I never made a post.

Oh, check out the "Denpressure" thread, it's a hoot!

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Flat earth society is a perfect example we are all living in different realities. You could believe anything you want, and you will find supporting evidence.

6 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

Flat earth society is a perfect example we are all living in different realities. You could believe anything you want, and you will find supporting evidence.

Nooo.

You cannot find evidence for something that just isn't true, which is why the whole idea of a flat Earth is so ridiculous. There aren't sides to this. There isn't an equality of ideas or separate but equal realities. There is what is true and there is a lie a bunch of stupid people believe.

It's just that simple. Anything else leaves room for the myth there's something here to debate, and there isn't. Flat Earthers are of no actual significance to the real world, which is precisely what they merit.

--Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Nooo.

You cannot find evidence for something that just isn't true, which is why the whole idea of a flat Earth is so ridiculous. There aren't sides to this. There isn't an equality of ideas or separate but equal realities. There is what is true and there is a lie a bunch of stupid people believe.

It's just that simple. Anything else leaves room for the myth there's something here to debate, and there isn't. Flat Earthers are of no actual significance to the real world, which is precisely what they merit.

--Jaylemurph 

Flat Earthers have good arguments, that's why they are so many. You can barely see the eart's curvure from the space station.

3 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

Flat Earthers have good arguments, that's why they are so many. You can barely see the eart's curvure from the space station.

There aren't that many. And they have no good arguments, which you'd know if you had actually read this thread, where they've all been systematically torn down.

Like any flat-earther, you're just being a troll.

--Jaylemurph 

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

There aren't that many. And they have no good arguments, which you'd know if you had actually read this thread, where they've all been systematically torn down.

Like any flat-earther, you're just being a troll.

--Jaylemurph 

I'm not a flat earther. But I looked into it, and they have strong arguments. The only thing they are not explaining properly is the eclipse.

1 hour ago, bogdan9310 said:

I'm not a flat earther. But I looked into it, and they have strong arguments. The only thing they are not explaining properly is the eclipse.

If you seriously believe this -- that the only thing Flat-Earthers /can't/ explain is an eclipse -- then your idea of a "strong argument" is pathetically weak. I mean, what are you going to believe, your own lying eyes or the "strong arguments" of various mouth-breathers and knuckle-draggers?

On the other hand, though, your keen insight and analytical abilities make you the perfect mark target victim exciting new customer. I am representative of the USA government , here to make to you an offer you cannot be refusing! I can sell to you most famous bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn for lowest of price! PM me directly for more details about how you can buy famous bridges!

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, bogdan9310 said:

I'm not a flat earther. But I looked into it, and they have strong arguments.

I haven't seen one strong argument for the flat earth.  But I have seen a lot of lies and ignorance from a bunch of people who's main argument for the flat earth is "NASA lies".

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 5:40 AM, bogdan9310 said:

The only thing they are not explaining properly is the eclipse.

Just that?  What about the two celestial poles?  Or satellites?  Wait.. their explanation is they don't exist.

Anyone familiar with astronomy knows it's incompatible with the flat earth.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, bogdan9310 said:

Yeah, no.

They're also not properly explaining the shape of Australia relative to travel distances. They're also not properly explaining how ships travel faster and faster the further south they go.

And as I've pointed out elsewhere, they don't explain why anyone would bother to create a conspiracy to hide the real shape of the Earth from ordinary people to whom knowing whether the Earth is round or flat is about a relevant to their lives as how many moons Mars has.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, bogdan9310 said:

I have to disagree very strongly, they actually have no strong arguments about anything. (if one has even a rudimentary knowledge of science)  How about we start with the very simple and undeniable fact that matter coalesces into a sphere in space, with absolutely no exceptions. Do you know what a shot tower is? Some might argue that there are objects in space that are not exactly spherical, which is true, most of the time due to collisions, but there exists nowhere any object that is flat, it is physically impossible. But, then of course, there is always the conspiracy argument. There is always the conspiracy argument. I have to assume that while in college, every scientist has to attend indoctrination classes where they are required to sign THE CONSPIRACY DOCUMENT before they are granted their PhD. I also have to assume that those who do not sign, or wash out or drop out are hunted down and eliminated. I don't know how else it could work. And you somehow have to convince all amateur astronomers... geez, it just gets sillier and sillier, doesn't it? Did you know that flat earthers actually deny the existence of Australia? Look it up, and then tell me they have a strong argument.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 1:41 PM, bogdan9310 said:

No they do not. Every single argument they have can be debunked pretty easily. Oh, and the ISS has an app you can download and watch the view from the station, streamed live and in high res. There is definitely a curve there. Just saying something doesn't make it true.

4d69d04e26658a07e0c72306591c5ba8-full.jp

On 11/02/2019 at 3:32 PM, Rlyeh said:

I haven't seen one strong argument for the flat earth.

Which is that one then? I could do with a laugh.

Edit - I thought you said you'd "only seen one". Dammit.

*gets off high horse*

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Haha 2

On 19/01/2019 at 8:37 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

You have no idea how grateful I am for you telling me about this. 

I have it open on my phone as I eat my lunch, waiting for it to fly over the UK so I can wave at myself.

• Haha 3

On 10/02/2019 at 5:10 AM, bogdan9310 said:

What do they say about Eratosthenes?