Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Deception - Riddle of Britain

The Puzzler

Hi Um friends. I started this topic in the OLB thread but feels it deserves it's own topic. Alternative history if you ever saw it.

"William Comyns Beaumont, also known as Comyns Beaumont, (1873–1956)[1] was a British journalist, author, and lecturer.

In Facts and Fallacies (1988) published by Reader's Digest, Beaumont's views are summarized:

"In a series of books published between 1946 and 1949, British journalist William Comyns Beaumont astonished the world with the following extraordinary revelations: Jesus of Nazareth had been crucified just outside Edinburgh, Scotland — the site of the ancient city of Jerusalem. Satan was a comet that collided with the earth and caused Noah's Flood. The ancient Egyptians were in fact Irishmen. Hell is to be found in western Scotland. The Greek hero Achilles spent his childhood on the Isle of Skye. Galilee, birthplace of Jesus, was Wales. Ancient Athens was in reality Bath, England... Comyns Beaumont started his radical revision of history with the belief, innocuous enough, that the lost island of Atlantis might be Britain."

Beaumont was also a proponent of the Shakespeare authorship question, arguing Shakespeare's plays were written by Francis Bacon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Comyns_Beaumont

"Beaumont's trilogy breathlessly blended early history, mythology, geology, and ancient astronomical records crafting an entirely revised history of the world, complete with its own complex cosmology. 

Convinced Atlantis was Britain he proclaimed that prior to 584 BC Caledonia (Scotland) was the original holy land and asked his readers to visualize groups of survivors migrating southwards from Atlantis and founding colonies named after their homeland districts of Israel, Egypt, and Greece - which to him were all originally located in Britain."

"Plato’s account of the destruction of Atlantis and the Biblical flood were one and the same event to Beaumont, and he shamelessly transplanted Biblical characters and events from the Middle East to Britain. Abraham became a former Atlantean who migrated to and settled near the Avebury Stone Circle in England, which Beaumont identified as “Mizpah, Thebes, the dragon’s teeth sown by Cadmus, an astronomical temple to Saturn and the image of a destructive comet.”

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/scotland-s-catastrophic-comet-conspiracy-007814

• Like 3

So ..................... quite a few marbles missing, it would seem. :hmm:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

So ..................... quite a few marbles missing, it would seem. :hmm:

Seemingly.

The impact on Saaremaa that a comet coming from the north east which would align south west with southern Scotland, may have seen a few small cometary impacts, it doesn't seem impossible. The larger impact would have been in Estonia, which by any means, does seem to have made an impact, in the psyche as well as the landscape of these Northern European people.

"At an altitude of 5–10 km, the meteor broke into pieces and fell to the Earth in fragments, the greatest of which produced a crater with a diameter of 110 m and a depth of 22 m. The explosion removed approximately 81,000 cubic meters of dolomite and other rocks and formed a 7–8 km tall, extremely hot gas flow. Vegetation was incinerated up to 6 km from the impact site.[6]

Finnish mythology has stories that may originate with the formation of Kaali. One of them is in runes 47, 48 and 49 of the Kalevala epic.."

"Kaali was considered the place where "The sun went to rest."

According to the theory of more recent impact, Estonia at the time of impact was in the Nordic Bronze Age and the site was forested with a small human population. The impact energy of about 80 TJ (20 kilotons of TNT) is comparable with that of the Hiroshima bomb blast. It incinerated forests within a 6 km radius..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaali_crater

Strangely it was recorded men of the area of Estonia/Saaremaa spoke the same language as those of Britain.

"he (Tacitus) claimed that while the "Aestian nations" followed the "same customs and attire" as "the Suebians" (at the time a collective term for eastern Germanic peoples), their speech resembled that of the Britons (i.e., a Celtic language rather than the Germanic languages of the Suebii)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesti

• Like 2

"According to some researchers the meteor arrived from the north-east."

Kaali Wiki - see above post

Kaali Crater, Estonia is circled with a possible debris field to Britain.

estonia to scotland2_edited-1.jpg

Edited by The Puzzler

Never heard of him, but I suspect his ideas have been used to support some of the Nationalistic versions of English/Irish history.  

• Like 2

A very imaginative history - based on no evidence at all

But hey, Britiain is the cradle of civilisation.  It must be true :D

More than likely Kenemet.

1 hour ago, Essan said:

A very imaginative history - based on no evidence at all

But hey, Britiain is the cradle of civilisation.  It must be true :D

Maybe no scientifically accepted evidence, which is why it's a theory and alternative history but he does a good job of giving explanations that may stand up as reasonable to consider, which is why it's a good topic imo.

http://self-realisation.com/ourstory/britain-key-to-world-history/

Edited by The Puzzler

Its a good subject for a fun discussion

But do you really think that York, founded by the Romans in 71AD, was the original site of the Biblical Babylon?   ;)     For example

• Like 1

You know, the only real puzzler (pardon the pun) about this is, if it were true, why none of the cultures mentioned the Avebury Complex in their mythology. Jesus never gave a sermon from the rings for example. 

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know, the only real puzzler (pardon the pun) about this is, if it were true, why none of the cultures mentioned the Avebury Complex in their mythology. Jesus never gave a sermon from the rings for example. 

Claim is the scriptures were totally manipulated by Constantine.

7 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Claim is the scriptures were totally manipulated by Constantine.

Makes some sense. 

Except we have pre-Constantinian scriptures to refer to in the form of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Essan said:

Its a good subject for a fun discussion

But do you really think that York, founded by the Romans in 71AD, was the original site of the Biblical Babylon?   ;)     For example

I'd have to read more to see how he concludes this. York was inhabited by the Brigantes before the Romans appeared there. 

Their name etymology is like Arya, it means high, to nobility.

The Brigantes were a Celtic tribe who in pre-Roman times controlled the largest section of what would become Northern England. Their territory, often referred to as Brigantia was centred in what was later known as Yorkshire. The Greek geographer Ptolemy named the Brigantes as a tribe in Ireland also...

while another probably Celtic tribe named Brigantii is mentioned by Strabo as a sub-tribe of the Vindelici in the region of the Alps.[2]

In the OLB I just gave an explanation how the Brigantes could be seen as founders of Rome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Makes some sense. 

Except we have pre-Constantinian scriptures to refer to in the form of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I thought you mean scriptures on Jesus, nothing in the Dead Sea Scrolls on Jesus and I think he claims that Jewish priests in their Babylon captivity (in Britain) constructed the Old Testament for their own benefits. This was transferred all over, possibly giving explanation to where these particular scrolls were found.

• Like 2

The earliest extant gospel dates from around the time of Constantine so it does lend some credence to that argument. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The earliest extant gospel dates from around the time of Constantine so it does lend some credence to that argument. 

http://www.twelvearound1.com/cbarchthegreatdeceptionforeword.html

That link is a foreword by Beaumont, it contains some explanation of how he thinks Constantine accomplished the task. It won't copy paste for me.

• Like 1

I made this post in the OLB thread but want to elaborate on it some more off the OLB topic. "Yeah, I know. Somehow these stories get out there though by people who seem earnest enough in their writings, maybe some truth can underlie things, for example, he states the Brigantes of Britain were the men who founded Rome. Looking for links, what I see is that Strabo tells us that a tribe called Brigantii live in the Alps, a Celtic type, possible sub branch of the rich British Brigantes, some in York, maybe traders living around the Hallstatt realm, the Brigantii are a sub-tribe of the Vendelici, intermixing with Po Valley Etruscans, who it was said were also the Raeti, living next to the Vendelici. So peeps mix, then Romes founding myth is obviously a load of rubbish, the real core is that only around the 4th and 5th centuries did Roman rule rise, established at first by Etruscan law in a town taken over from Etruscans. Rome wouldnt have existed without them.

So he states that they were really from the areas of Freesia among others, where the Brigantes originated, who populated Britain and had an offshoot in the Alps with Etruscan association, to Rome."

Hes looking outside the box. Other theories, have Troy elsewhere, I know they are being laughed out every day but who really knows?

Ive been watching this archaeological find closely  http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

A large scale battle dated 1250BC at the Tollense River plains, Germany with some warriors coming in from other far-lying lands, no tribal clash here.

• Like 1

On the Jews originating in Europe:

"The origins of Ashkenazi Jews remain highly controversial. Like Judaism, mitochondrial DNA is passed along the maternal line. Its variation in the Ashkenazim is highly distinctive, with four major and numerous minor founders. However, due to their rarity in the general population, these founders have been difficult to trace to a source. Here we show that all four major founders, ~40% of Ashkenazi mtDNA variation, have ancestry in prehistoric Europe, rather than the Near East or Caucasus. Furthermore, most of the remaining minor founders share a similar deep European ancestry. Thus the great majority of Ashkenazi maternal lineages were not brought from the Levant, as commonly supposed, nor recruited in the Caucasus, as sometimes suggested, but assimilated within Europe."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3806353/

My own mitochondrial haplogroup is K, not one of the main Jewish lines though, it's a strictly European K1b.

Edited by The Puzzler
Add link.

There was a Christian cult passing out pamphlets in prison, the Christidephians??? Philadelphians?? something ,,,,spreading similar drek among the Neo Nazis. I couldn't believe the admin let the jokers in. The English were the real Jewish of some horse apples.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

Seeming

Strangely it was recorded men of the area of Estonia/Saaremaa spoke the same language as those of Britain.

"he (Tacitus) claimed that while the "Aestian nations" followed the "same customs and attire" as "the Suebians" (at the time a collective term for eastern Germanic peoples), their speech resembled that of the Britons (i.e., a Celtic language rather than the Germanic languages of the Suebii)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesti

But he could of been talking about the Lusatian Culture too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusatian_culture

You’d have thought that with the result of such historically revisionist nationalism so vivid in the momeory of anyone living in 1953 (war-time rationing was stil in effect then IIRC) that no one would have dared venture forth such barmy ideas. What this chap is saying wouldn’t have sounded out of place 10 years previously in Germany.

15 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

I made this post in the OLB thread but want to elaborate on it some more off the OLB topic. "Yeah, I know. Somehow these stories get out there though by people who seem earnest enough in their writings, maybe some truth can underlie things, for example, he states the Brigantes of Britain were the men who founded Rome. Looking for links, what I see is that Strabo tells us that a tribe called Brigantii live in the Alps, a Celtic type, possible sub branch of the rich British Brigantes, some in York, maybe traders living around the Hallstatt realm, the Brigantii are a sub-tribe of the Vendelici, intermixing with Po Valley Etruscans, who it was said were also the Raeti, living next to the Vendelici. So peeps mix, then Romes founding myth is obviously a load of rubbish, the real core is that only around the 4th and 5th centuries did Roman rule rise, established at first by Etruscan law in a town taken over from Etruscans. Rome wouldnt have existed without them.

So he states that they were really from the areas of Freesia among others, where the Brigantes originated, who populated Britain and had an offshoot in the Alps with Etruscan association, to Rome."

Hes looking outside the box. Other theories, have Troy elsewhere, I know they are being laughed out every day but who really knows?

Ive been watching this archaeological find closely  http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

A large scale battle dated 1250BC at the Tollense River plains, Germany with some warriors coming in from other far-lying lands, no tribal clash here.

The tied the losers to the Villanova Culture..... from the Po Valley?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2017 at 8:11 AM, The Puzzler said:

"William Comyns Beaumont, also known as Comyns Beaumont, (1873–1956)[1] was a British journalist, author, and lecturer.

He seems like a precursor to L. Ron Hubbard, trying to spin a religion out of a science fiction book.

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Nice link, thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

Well I think the people that have made a life's study of it are pretty sure.

On 10/28/2017 at 8:59 AM, The Puzzler said:

Is it strange?  To a Roman reporting, maybe even second hand, dialects may have seemed like the same language. 

There was a whole lot going on in Northern Europe we don't know much about.  Consider Skara Brae, and Callanish, the Chalk Horse and Stonehenge among other constructions.  There was travel, organization, skill, and the desire to build monuments for whatever reason, and big hill forts for defense.  I don't think it is the Levant or Troy or any other place but its own. Trying to make it into Atlantis or Troy or Jerusalem  is indeed putting Northern Europe in a box.  I would prefer to think it was the beneficial cultural contributions of my Neanderthal ancestors.  Of course, I have no basis for that either.

• Like 1

Beaumont sounds moderately barmy, but for real, 10-for-10 barmy on the English scale of barminess, you need Harold T. Wilkins, who in 1949 observed two plesiosaurs in a creek in Cornwall, but was more usually occupied writing about the discovery of lost civilizations in South America, UFOs, or convincing himself he was the reincarnation of Captain Kidd. Actually a very entertaining writer, and a fun read. But barmy.