Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Still Waters

Face of 1704 Scottish 'witch' reconstructed

20 posts in this topic

The face of a Scottish woman persecuted for witchcraft more than 300 years ago has been reconstructed by forensic scientists.

Lilias Adie died in 1704 in prison before she could be burned for her "confessed" crimes of being a witch and having sex with the devil.

Locals buried her under a large stone on the Fife coast, perhaps believing it would stop her rising from the grave.

Her remains were exhumed in the 19th Century by antiquarians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41775398

7 people like this

Some reconstructed faces seem to fit their times, but this lady wouldn’t look out of place in the 21st century.

3 people like this

Why have they made her look old? They could pick any adult age, or is this the age she is supposed to have died at?

2 people like this

A curse on Ye!  Oops, sorry. I was possessed for a few seconds.

1 person likes this

Professor Mcgonagall is that you?

1 person likes this

As they know when she died and the circumstances, and her name, they have probably been able to trace her in the parish records - her baptism maybe, or the prison records themselves. Scottish records are very good and detailed.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, seanjo said:

Why have they made her look old? They could pick any adult age, or is this the age she is supposed to have died at?

I'd imagine they could tell how old she was from her teeth. Human teeth tend to wear at a steady rate. Not always, but usually.

2 people like this

From what I've read woman who were accused of witchcraft were usually Not Well liked, and people wanted to get rid of them. Making her appear like a benevolent grandma probably wasn't her daily appearance. Probably she was in pain, and bitter, and angry at the world. 

11 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Some reconstructed faces seem to fit their times, but this lady wouldn’t look out of place in the 21st century.

Every time I see US civil war photos I always find weird that most of the folks look like portuguese people, yet when I see "average" photos of today's americans they dont.

1 person likes this

I reckon she resembles Duchess Camilla. (Prince Charles' partner)

2 people like this

Someone should submit an xray of their own skull for forensic reconstruction, that should at least solve the question of how close to real life the artist in fact is.(Or isn't)

Why am I not surprised the "witch" wasnt a  beautiful  woman? Ill bet the hotties never got burned  #hotchickprivilidge :lol:

Edited by Farmer77
2 people like this

I think they often find actual pictures once people have been successfully identified and so they are pretty sure these constructions come very close.

On 31/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, seanjo said:

She was in her 70s when she died.

2 people like this

It's such a pity that so many women were accused of witchcraft and tortured like they were. Usually they were older. Had dementia and didn't make much sense when they talked. Couldn't recite the Lord's Prayer because they couldn't remember it. Many were skilled in herbal medicine that was connected to witchcraft. When men were accused, it was because they had something someone else wanted. Their property and assets were confiscated.

I hope this woman will be remembered well now as the innocent person she was.

3 people like this

20 hours ago, susieice said:

the innocent person she was.

Not in the eyes of the law.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:25 PM, Eldorado said:

I reckon she resembles Duchess Camilla. (Prince Charles' partner)

She does a bit, but Camilla is not sleeping with the devil....as far as we know.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Not in the eyes of the law.

Unfortunately that is true. Now the word witchhunt has taken on a whole new meaning. But it isn't poor old ladies any more.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, susieice said:

Unfortunately that is true. Now the word witchhunt has taken on a whole new meaning. But it isn't poor old ladies any more.

Unfortunately so... but let's not potentially derail the topic with that please. Let's keep it on topic with talking about the 1704 witch, not modern meanings or implications of the term witch hunt.

1 person likes this

I didn't mean to try and derail the thread. I'm sorry. 

Edited by susieice