Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Escaped lynx made 'giant leap' over zoo fence

Still Waters

An escaped lynx is believed to have made a "giant leap" over an electrified fence to get out of the zoo and is now thought to be hiding in nearby bushes.

The Eurasian lynx, about twice the size of a domestic cat, escaped from Borth Wild Animal Kingdom, near Aberystwyth, some time during the past week.

The zoo has been closed while members of staff try to find it.

Dozens of bait traps are being set up and keepers have tranquilizer darts to hand as a last resort.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41819469

Previous articles:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41798311

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41801235

• Like 3

A lynx on the loose is feared to have killed seven sheep found dead close to the zoo where it escaped from two weeks ago.  

Lillith the lynx has been on the run after leaping from her enclosure on October 26, with local farmers worried she is now killing sheep and their lambs. 

Seven of the animals were found dead, seemingly bitten on the neck, in a field less than two miles from where she escaped in Borth, near Aberystwyth in Wales.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5059195/Lynx-missing-Wales-feared-killed-seven-sheep.html

Updated to add:

A zoo where a big cat escaped - and remains on the loose - is to be put under scrutiny by inspectors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-41944467

• Like 1

They've killed the lynx :(

Welsh zoo outraged after escaped Lynx is killed over public safety fears

Eurasian lynx named Lillith, which went missing on 29 October, is destroyed after straying near Aberystwyth town centre

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/11/lilith-escaped-lynx-is-killed-over-growing-public-safety-fears

Alas poor Lilith ... liberty was all too brief ...

~

• Like 1

I don't know about Lynx's much although I did work at a zoo for a while but my guess is being a zoo animal the poor thing wasn't a danger it moved to near people because it associated humans with being fed, Surley it could of been shot with trank dart

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Matt221 said:

I don't know about Lynx's much although I did work at a zoo for a while but my guess is being a zoo animal the poor thing wasn't a danger it moved to near people because it associated humans with being fed

Try telling tight to the female zoo worker who was injured after being mauled by a tiger at a zoo in Russia when she was trying to feed it.

Surley it could of been shot with trank dart

Venables said it was necessary to get within 10 to 15 metres of an animal to tranquilise it, with the the dart then taking up to 15 minutes to take effect: “During this time the animal will run.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/11/lilith-escaped-lynx-is-killed-over-growing-public-safety-fears

Edited by Black Monk

This wasnt a tiger though.  Nor was it a shark or even a tyrannosaurus rex.

How many reported cases of a lynx attacking a human have there been in the past 100 years ;)

Now, if it had been a dog.   Or even a domestic cat .......

I accept that a tranquilizer dart takes time to work so there would have been an issue with tracking it to find the sleeping body.    But if there was danger to the public then why are not all dogs off a lead shot on sight?

• Like 3

Should we now hunt down and kill  all  remaining Scottish wildcats - which are equally as dangerous to humans?

And as for badgers!  Well, at least there will now be no qualms about culling them!

• Like 2

This is the zoo that was taken over recently by a family with no experience of zoos. There was a series of regular segments about this on TV recently. The place, which was shown in the state they took it over in, looked extremely dodgy. As I recall the enclosures looked insecure, there were issues with the previous owners and the staff, I thought something was overdue to go wrong there. 

17 minutes ago, oldrover said:

This is the zoo that was taken over recently by a family with no experience of zoos. There was a series of regular segments about this on TV recently. The place, which was shown in the state they took it over in, looked extremely dodgy. As I recall the enclosures looked insecure, there were issues with the previous owners and the staff, I thought something was overdue to go wrong there. 

Ah I didn't know this was the same zoo I saw a bit on tv about them taking over and yep the enclosures did look insecure

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Try telling tight to the female zoo worker who was injured after being mauled by a tiger at a zoo in Russia when she was trying to feed it.

Venables said it was necessary to get within 10 to 15 metres of an animal to tranquilise it, with the the dart then taking up to 15 minutes to take effect: “During this time the animal will run.”

What's a tiger in russia got to do with it if it mauled her inside the cage then safety procedures were probably not being followed, if she was outside the cage and feeding it through the cage then that also is probably against the safety procedures 

• Like 1

Good grief! now this -

A second lynx has reportedly been killed after the death of an escaped big cat which was shot by a marksman over the weekend.

The lynx, is believed to be a five-year female called Nilly who was strangled to death in a "fatal error" by a cat keeper at Borth Wild Animal Kingdom who is said to have been under "incredible pressure" after the escape of Lillith.

The cat keeper is said to be on leave pending investigation following the death.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2017-11-13/second-lynx-at-zoo-killed-after-death-of-escaped-big-cat/

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Good grief! now this -

Yes, now this. I don't know if you're in the UK, but did you see the series of segments about this place?

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Yes, now this. I don't know if you're in the UK, but did you see the series of segments about this place?

No I missed them. I am in the UK but I don't watch a lot of TV.

In one of the links it says the zoo is closed pending investigation, it doesn't sound to me like it should be allowed to re-open afterwards. Whatever happens I hope the animals will be looked after properly.

• Like 1

It's okay all these internet people here pontificating about the killing of a dangerous, escaped wild animal after having as long as they like to think up an argument to support their view that this big cat shouldn't have been killed but I'm rather sure the police officers involved didn't have time to sit around trying to make a moral judgement when coming across this creature. I doubt the following scenario happened:

"Hey, look, Sarge. There appears to be a big cat on the pavement over there. Shall we destroy it?"

"Hold on a minute, Jenkins. How do you know this animal is dangerous?

"Well, it's a big carnivorous cat with large teeth. I'm sure it wouldn't have any qualms about attacking and eating a person."

"Well, there are big dogs with large teeth which attack people, and we don't just go round killing dogs, do we, Jenkins?"

"Well, shall we kill it or just shoot it with a tranquiliser dart, Sarge?

"We need to ascertain whether or not it possesses a threat to humans, Jenkins. Get out the car, walk over to it and see if it attacks you."

No. When coming across an escaped big cat the police don't have time for such deliberations. They have to act fast to protect the public and if that means shooting the thing then so be it.

Edited by Black Monk

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, Black Monk said:

It's okay all these internet people here pontificating about the killing of a dangerous, escaped wild animal after having as long as they like to think up an argument to support their view that this big cat shouldn't have been killed but I'm rather sure the police officers involved didn't have time to sit around trying to make a moral judgement when coming across this creature. I doubt the following scenario happened:

"Hey, look, Sarge. There appears to be a big cat on the pavement over there. Shall we destroy it?"

"Hold on a minute, Jenkins. How do you know this animal is dangerous?

"Well, it's a big carnivorous cat with large teeth. I'm sure it wouldn't have any qualms about attacking and eating a person."

"Well, there are big dogs with large teeth which attack people, and we don't just go round killing dogs, do we, Jenkins?"

"Well, shall we kill it or just shoot it with a tranquiliser dart, Sarge?

"We need to ascertain whether or not it possesses a threat to humans, Jenkins. Get out the car, walk over to it and see if it attacks you."

No. When coming across an escaped big cat the police don't have time for such deliberations. They have to act fast to protect the public and if that means shooting the thing then so be it.

I doubt the coppers would of had that conversation either cause if they'd of got out of the're car and walked towards the animal it probably would of legged it