Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My deconversion story

Link of Hyrule

22 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Based on how much suffering, violence, corruption, crimes, addictions, suicides ect. there is in our modern societies, I think we have found our answer.

Nothings changed. New players, new settings, same stories. And you expect some religious mythos to fix the problems? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nothings changed. New players, new settings, same stories. And you expect some religious mythos to fix the problems? 

Actually, a lot has changed. The world has never been as safe at is now, even with all the terror it still possesses. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FLOMBIE said:

The world has never been as safe at is now, even with all the terror it still possesses. 

I don't see it but if you say so.

Just now, XenoFish said:

I don't see it but if you say so.

You don't? Think about history, and the wars that used to go on. There was always war in Europe. Always war in Asia. Entire continents were subjugated and exploited. And that was directly, openly and morally justified, not in the often shady ways it is happening now. 

I know we have a lot of problems today, but it's nothing compared to the past. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

You don't? Think about history, and the wars that used to go on. There was always war in Europe. Always war in Asia. Entire continents were subjugated and exploited. And that was directly, openly and morally justified, not in the often shady ways it is happening now. 

Yeah, Better Angel's of Our Nature makes a decent case for it. Compare today to Roman Europe. 

Or even a few decades ago. Mass shootings have come more common but overall violent crime is decreasing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Now the battlefront is the mind. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Now the battlefront is the mind. 

The mind has always been a battlefront, and many have been burnt alive for making good points. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLOMBIE said:

The mind has always been a battlefront, and many have been burnt alive for making good points. 

I see a war waged through brainwashing. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

I see a war waged through brainwashing. 

You mean like what the Nazis did? Or are you talking about the culture war going on in the US atm?

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

You mean like what the Nazis did? Or are you talking about the culture war going on in the US atm?

Yeah, getting really tired of youtube right now. Plus I quit watching the news as I really don't know what's real and what's not anymore. It's all static. Filling people brains with garbage. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, getting really tired of youtube right now. Plus I quit watching the news as I really don't know what's real and what's not anymore. It's all static. Filling people brains with garbage. 

Oh, I feel you... But even that has ever been there. It's just on a super large scale due to social media right now. But I have to say I enjoy it to receive many unfiltered opinions. Even though many are pure crap or just wrong. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Oh, I feel you... But even that has ever been there. It's just on a super large scale due to social media right now. But I have to say I enjoy it to receive many unfiltered opinions. Even though many are pure crap or just wrong. 

Yep, but it creates a mental virus that idiots propagate. This victim-hood status things has become more than old. Wish they'd grow up and realize that life isn't fair, and their idea of fairness is askew.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Yep, but it creates a mental virus that idiots propagate. This victim-hood status things has become more than old. Wish they'd grow up and realize that life isn't fair, and their idea of fairness is askew.

It does. And victims receive a lot of comfort and attention within their social bubbles. And victims have the moral higher ground. It gives your whole narrative a more valid flow. 

But what really annoys me, is the black and schism that is painted by the ring leaders of both sides - which is also the reason why there only are two sides. What happened to being able to compromise?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

It does. And victims receive a lot of comfort and attention within their social bubbles. And victims have the moral higher ground. It gives your whole narrative a more valid flow. 

But what really annoys me, is the black and schism that is painted by the ring leaders of both sides - which is also the reason why there only are two sides. What happened to being able to compromise?

54yt4ur.gif

"And I'm all outta bubblegum."

The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

54yt4ur.gif

"And I'm all outta bubblegum."

The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

I love that movie. :)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Whatever mythos helps one transcend his own limited reality, whether it be the 'bronze-age books' as you say or anything else and become a better person as a result is certainly a good thing in my view.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 2:05 AM, davros of skaro said:

divinespark_losangeles.jpg

gambling-and-dopamine-research.jpg

Pipe-Einstein.jpg

Hey, at least the sessions are free. I know a lot of places claiming they're gonna enlighten you, but it'll cost.

4 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Whatever mythos helps one transcend his own limited reality, whether it be the 'bronze-age books' as you say or anything else and become a better person as a result is certainly a good thing in my view.

Some people read that book and get a message of love out of it. 

Others...well...not so much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLOMBIE said:

I love that movie. :)

I feel like the Gnostics are the ones who keep saying...dude...put the glasses on.

Kinda reminds me of this...

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Hey, at least the sessions are free. I know a lot of places claiming they're gonna enlighten you, but it'll cost.

1912-so-much-win.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, eight bits said:

PA

Conclusions about the ancients will necessarily be tentative.

Naturally. But yet conclusions are necessary. That's the point I've really been trying to make :)

PA

Naturally. But yet conclusions are necessary. That's the point I've really been trying to make :)

Well, the "necessity" to reach firm conclusions about ancient events is at best debatable. But if it is necessary to reach a conclusion, then why not include a measure of the imperfect confidence with which the conclusion was drawn?

Admitting ignorance is no shame, and acknowledged uncertainty can only be more useful than admitted ignorance.

On the specific issue, it was apparently raised in ancient times by Celsus. According to Origen (Against Celsus, 6.11), Celsus wrote:

If these (meaning the Christians) bring forward this person, and others, again, a different individual (as the Christ), while the common and ready cry of all parties is, ‘Believe, if you will be saved, or else begone,’ what shall those do who are in earnest about their salvation?

Shall they cast the dice, in order to divine whither they may betake themselves, and whom they shall join?

Note that Celsus' dilemma is described in the same terms as Paul's mid-First Century complaint, in the canon and in the earliest Christian literature there is. Somebody that far back was preaching "a different Jesus whom we didn’t preach." (2 Corinthians 11:4).

Some group was active in the latter Second Century whose claims to be "the real Christianity" Celsus couldn't resolve by weighing the evidence. But you can, without acknowledged uncertainty?

Best I don't succumb to the necessity of reaching a conclusion about that :) .

• Like 3