Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do we prepare for a global power outage?

Shaddi

We don't.

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much- we don't. Individual countries and individuals might prepare... but as a global community we all don't get along well enough to prepare worldwide.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Learn how to find/make shelter, make fire, catch food.

Maybe you should start watching some bush-craft channels on YT.

I suggest https://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

Lovely Canadian guy with good bushcraft videos.

You may also want to learn some basic agriculture. And a bit of animal anatomy. 

It depends what cause it.

If it's a massive solar flare which destroy electronics, one could use an old 50s tractor as a portable generator (if you have a isolated with yard, that is). Make sure you have enough fuel to make it going for a few weeks. If you have gaze stove in your house, you should be alright, just make sure it the system and appliance aren't working on electronics. You can expect your computer, smartphone, TV and these kind of stuff to be dead. But if you have an old rotary dial phone, it will probably still work. Once the landline is back in function.

Isolated house is best for that kind of thing, just look to use energy other than electricity, like gaze or geothermic heating/cooling and try to find stuff which doesn't contain too much electronics, as they would fry useless in a solar flare.

If on the other hand the power outage is due to economy slowly failing and electricity companies to just no bother to fix what broken, you'd need your own way to make electricity at home, short of finding a way with your community to own a power plant of your own. But there should be a long way before your country become a failed state, you should be able to see stuff coming and organize a proper counter measure with your community. 

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I have solar panels. 

If they survive the EMP/solar flare or whatever else...

Also, you would wanna live pretty far from anyone else, people go crazy pretty fast without power. 

Just now, Timonthy said:

If they survive the EMP/solar flare or whatever else...

Also, you would wanna live pretty far from anyone else, people go crazy pretty fast without power. 

I'm rural. So I'm away from most people. 

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm rural. So I'm away from most people. 

That would help. I would take refuge with family at my fathers house, which is on a island only accessible by boat, with a small population (~130) and plenty of fish/native wildlife to survive. 

Hopefully his solar panels/wind turbine survive. The house is completely off the grid.