Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British football signs 'inaccurate' says fan

Still Waters

It's a sporting battle with a difference. On one side, 20,000 football fans, with a maths geek up front. On the other, officialdom, strong in defence.

The tussle at its heart? Whether the football on British road signs should be an accurate depiction of the real thing.

Currently, the image on the sign is made entirely of hexagons but a ball like that would be geometrically impossible to make.

Instead, a real football has a mixture of hexagons and pentagons - and maths crusader Matt Parker has started a petition to get that changed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41813720

• Like 2

Forget wars, famines and floods!   This really is a very very very very very important issue and should be taken to the EU and the UN if needs be.   I expect the guy behind it to be on the cover of Time, to be knighted and awarded the Nobel Prize Plonker next year :D 

• Like 5

So this guy is concerned that the football is geometrically incorrect and totally ignores the fact that on the sign the ball is as big as a man.

• Like 4

What about the level crossing sign then? That's not terribly typical of the average train nowadays, although it might perhaps be thought to represent an LNER B12 class 4-6-0.

Image result for level crossing sign It wouldn't get very far without a tender though, in any case.

• Like 4

And what about the sign for a ferry? Those are either very big cars and trucks, or a very small ferry, but either way it'd hardly be cost effective to have a boat capable of accommodating only two, wouldit.

Image result for uk ferry sign

• Like 6

In the comments on the local fb page people saying that he might have mental health issues

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

And what about the sign for a ferry? Those are either very big cars and trucks, or a very small ferry, but either way it'd hardly be cost effective to have a boat capable of accommodating only two, wouldit.

Image result for uk ferry sign

Heehee, lets just hope he never sees these ones as well:

warning-sign-slippery-road.jpg

or questions what the lady is doing with her hands in this one:

caution_elderly_people_uk_traffic_sign_s

• Like 3

Sorry, Thomas; no more unrealism. Now be off with you, as a good engine.        thomas-stressed-560x373.jpg                                                           

• Like 1

He is being true to himself as a mathematician. He recognised an anomaly and acted upon it. Good for him. I, for one, would expect no less.

There is a certain licence necessary with symbols, hence the over-sized vehicles in the bowls of a ship to indicate a ferry. But I draw the line at illogicality. I have always wondered at the impossibility of the tyre tracks left by the skidding car on the sign for a slippy surface.

Now I can add the soccer ball symbol to the list and wonder why people want to accept and ignore it. If people are unwilling to embrace better standards in visual representations of life then we would never have the Rennaissance concept of perspective or verisimilitude, for example, and would still be showing people in the childish way they did on Egyptian carvings or the Bayeaux Tapestry.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

He is being true to himself as a mathematician. He recognised an anomaly and acted upon it. Good for him. I, for one, would expect no less.

There is a certain licence necessary with symbols, hence the over-sized vehicles in the bowls of a ship to indicate a ferry. But I draw the line at illogicality. I have always wondered at the impossibility of the tyre tracks left by the skidding car on the sign for a slippy surface.

Now I can add the soccer ball symbol to the list and wonder why people want to accept and ignore it. If people are unwilling to embrace better standards in visual representations of life then we would never have the Rennaissance concept of perspective or verisimilitude, for example, and would still be showing people in the childish way they did on Egyptian carvings or the Bayeaux Tapestry.

A sign does not need to be accurate in it's depictions, and while some might beg to differ, a sign is functional and not intended to be art in any form.  You don't see people standing around this picture at the national gallery commenting on it's 'verisimilitude', or lack thereof.

products_image2-9065-d.jpg  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grey Area said:

A sign does not need to be accurate in it's depictions, and while some might beg to differ, a sign is functional and not intended to be art in any form.  You don't see people standing around this picture at the national gallery commenting on it's 'verisimilitude', or lack thereof.

Not to mention how appallingly dated that is. That kind of dress went out in the fifties, darling!

• Like 5

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, Grey Area said:

So this guy is concerned that the football is geometrically incorrect and totally ignores the fact that on the sign the ball is as big as a man.

The problem is..... If the ball and man were to scale, the ball would be too small to see when you're driving at night doing 100mph completely drunk.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Never said a sign had to be accurate. My issue is with illogicality. Something that is logically wrong for whatever reason. The skidding car sign is illogical. The football sign is illogical. Nothing illogical about the sign above except maybe the people portrayed have been decapitated! 

Edited by Ozymandias

4 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Not to mention how appallingly dated that is. That kind of dress went out in the fifties, darling!

Oh ok I was thinking that it was missing apache helicopter. 

On 3/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, Ozymandias said:

... I have always wondered at the impossibility of the tyre tracks left by the skidding car on the sign for a slippy surface. ...

Could it be indicating yaw through 180 degrees?

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

That or rolling through 360 degrees and landing back on its wheels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

No. It clearly show the tracks of the nearside (inner) wheels crossing the offside (outer) wheels which is an impossibility.

Edited by Ozymandias

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

That or rolling through 360 degrees and landing back on its wheels.

What it shows is clearly an impossibility.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

No. It clearly show the tracks of the nearside (inner) wheels crossing the offside (outer) wheels which is an impossibility.

But, that's what happens in a spin. You can end up facing the wrong way.

15 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

But, that's what happens in a spin. You can end up facing the wrong way.

The car in the sign has NOT spun round. The right (off-)side track shows a bit of a wobble while the left (near-)side track is seen to cross over it!

On 11/2/2017 at 3:09 AM, Essan said:

Forget wars, famines and floods!   This really is a very very very very very important issue and should be taken to the EU and the UN if needs be.   I expect the guy behind it to be on the cover of Time, to be knighted and awarded the Nobel Prize Plonker next year :D 

Why you being sarcastic!?  Football IS important.  You've got to get your priorities in life right.:angry: 

First comes the football game on the weekend, second a beer with your mates, third a game of billiards or darts with your mates at the pub or even better if a nice broad comes along, fourth take the kids to school if you haven't drunk too much, fifth listen to the Mrs whinge and nag just to keep her self fulfilled and if you're in a good mood help her with the shopping.  Last, do something around the house just to show her know you're helpful.

Mate, learn from the experts!!

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 2

Yup ... then we find out the gaffer's been fired ...

~

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

The car in the sign has NOT spun round. The right (off-)side track shows a bit of a wobble while the left (near-)side track is seen to cross over it!

How can you say the car has not spun by looking that sign. The only thing to go by is the track that you say is impossible.