Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Princess Serenity

HellTown

Princess Serenity

Did anyone catch the mockumentary about Boston, Ohio aka HellTown on Destination America? Why did they decide to make a mockumentary and insert a "monster?" I've known about this town for years and I remember reading stories about it like the satanists causing the town to be abandoned. 

• Like 2

SecretSanta

I started to watch but couldn't get into it. 

I had never heard of Hell Town before so I googled it. The real story is is so boring compared to the tales. 

Princess Serenity
1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

I started to watch but couldn't get into it. 

I had never heard of Hell Town before so I googled it. The real story is is so boring compared to the tales. 

I prefer the real rumored stories then this mockumentary! Wonder why Destination America went this route with a "fake monster." 

Timothy

The name ‘HellTown’ reminds me of the Silent Hill movie. Based on Centralia, Pennsylvania, where a coal mine has been burning since May 1972!

Creepy movie, not great ratings, but worth a watch(IMO)!

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0384537/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

‘The fire is burning in underground coal mines at depths of up to 300 feet (90 m) over an 8-mile (13 km) stretch of 3,700 acres (15 km2).[1] At its current rate, it could continue to burn for over 250 years.[2]

The blaze has resulted in most of the town being abandoned. The population dwindled from 2,761 in 1890 to only 7 in 2013, and most of the buildings have been leveled.’

Sorry, not really on topic!! :rofl:

Time to Google The Boston, Ohio HellTown...

• Like 1

SecretSanta
11 hours ago, Princess Serenity said:

I prefer the real rumored stories then this mockumentary! Wonder why Destination America went this route with a "fake monster." 

I'd say it was probably for Halloween. 

rashore

I haven't watched it. What's the monster they put into the show?

Princess Serenity
7 hours ago, rashore said:

I haven't watched it. What's the monster they put into the show?

Wendigo. Now I don't know much about the creature or how it really feeds. They made this thing eat the bones of its victims while everything else was intact.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

rashore

Wendigo? I thought it was a giant snake out that way? That is weird.

el_cheevo99

I saw this for the first time tonight and thought it was sadly comical and insulting. There is an actual mystery here as to why the government took over this small town in such a dramatic fashion. They could have had a great story just sticking to facts instead of creating so much obvious fiction around it. The teen that was killed, the two children that disappeared in the woods, the WW cult and the underground government bunker never happened. I can't figure out what the creators and producers of this show were looking for.

Just the proven facts and current footage of the current abandoned town ruins would have made a fascinating documentary, but they have to throw in fictitious elements along the lines of "Blair Witch Project" and "Stranger Things" that are stupid and insulting for legit paranormal investigators.

• Like 1

Frostburn

I watched as much of it as I could stand, which is to say about a half hour. The show sucked. They take a flimsy foundation and blow it up into sensationalized nonsense, much like the rest of Desperation America's shows. And as always, when in doubt, let's toss in a monster! Yay, let's get some jump scares in there too! Oh, and let's not forget all the suspenseful lead-ins to each commercial break when they make it look like they've got something interesting to say and then drop you like a rock when you come back to it. 

Gee, maybe I should have tuned in to something more substantial, like Mountain Monsters. Ugh.  

Grimscythe
On 11/2/2017 at 4:36 PM, Princess Serenity said:

Wendigo. Now I don't know much about the creature or how it really feeds. They made this thing eat the bones of its victims while everything else was intact.

Kinda excited opposite of what it does. The wendigo is actually a cannibal, using its meals to grow larger and more powerful. The bones are probably the part that would be left behind. 

• Like 1