Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Ghost Footage Ever Captured on Video?

KylaFamilyVlog

Hi everyone!  We caught this "ghost" on video completely by accident and we have never seen ANYTHING like it!  We only noticed the image when viewing the videos at home right on the iPhone.  We are completely blown away by this.  We never believed in ghosts!  I posted the video on our youtube family vlog channel and I am immediately looking for input from people as to what this may have been!  

If you notice, the light is accompanied by a sound as well.  Also notice that if you watch the figure move, it seems to look like the profile of a person in walking motion.  This just might be the best ghost footage ever captured on video and we were just shooting a video for our vlog.  Please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has ever seen anything like this!

Well, despite cringing at the title frame, I started watching...  I only lasted to when you said that this is a ghost video (despite you saying that you caught the footage by accident and it seems you deliberately visited a 'haunted' location).. and then you say you are unbelievers.

Bye.

Yes we did deliberately visit it because they were having a halloween event for kids with bouncy houses and a haunted set up.  We went through the house two times and recorded BOTH times because we shoot video for our vlog channel. The first time there is NOTHING just the stuff in the house.  The second time what we caught on the video was just unexplainable.  Watch  at 3:28 if you don't care to watch the rest of the video.

Edited by KylaFamilyVlog
  • Like 1

I watched it and it was interesting. Even if it was paranormal, it would definitely not be the best one ever, I have seen some where you can clearly see a person that disappears. You might want to change the title from "Best Ever".

And I am a definite believer in ghosts.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

Also, you're right, we don't believe in ghosts.  And I still have a hard time with this.  But the footage is just unexplainable using regular theories.  I've ruled out things such as light, lens artifacts, flares, etc.  I simply can not explain this video.

My opinion, it's just something like a fiber (possibly from the "spider webs")passing closely in front of the camera lens and with all the noise in the room it's hard to say if it's even related to what you caught or just a noise in the room.

On a side note, I grew up on Staten Island. 

• Like 1

Welcome to UM Kyla :st

I watched the moment a few times... the ghost is the dangling ribbon of the decoration hanging from the ceiling. When the camera comes up on the chains, you can see the ribbon of the decoration hanging down- then the camera gets real close to the chains and pans across a filament of the green "webs" and the ribbon of the decoration. Since the ribbon is metallic and reflective, it looks like it's lit up.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rashore said:

I watched the moment a few times... the ghost is the dangling ribbon of the decoration hanging from the ceiling. When the camera comes up on the chains, you can see the ribbon of the decoration hanging down- then the camera gets real close to the chains and pans across a filament of the green "webs" and the ribbon of the decoration. Since the ribbon is metallic and reflective, it looks like it's lit up.

Yes!

IMG_0276.PNG

Edited by SecretSanta

@KylaFamilyVlog Welcome to UM.

But this is a whole other level of exaggeration.

From the title, to your description, the video, your supposed reaction, and inhibility to determine such an obvious and simple explanation.

Also, with your obvious video editing talents, why post the original vlog when it would take a couple of minutes to render and upload the ‘ghost’ footage?

Just feels like fishing for for hits for your vlog rather than any sort of sincere post, that’s all this looks like, and we see it time and time again here.

Finally, being in the world of vlogs, I know you’re aware that individual vlogs aren’t for everyone. If you’re after honest feedback, after being subjected to part of yours, I found it cringeworthy. I’m probably obviously not your target audience, and just my opinion, but I think you knew what you were doing when you posted this thread...

Edited by Timonthy
Typo.
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Well, despite cringing at the title frame, I started watching... 

There really should be no justifiable cause to go past that title frame shot, though I admire your adventurous spirit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

My opinion, it's just something like a fiber (possibly from the "spider webs")passing closely in front of the camera lens and with all the noise in the room it's hard to say if it's even related to what you caught or just a noise in the room.

On a side note, I grew up on Staten Island. 

Cool what part?  Have you been to the conference house?

16 hours ago, rashore said:

I am watching again and again and see the piece of decoration you are talking about.  I'm inclined to agree with this theory except for two problems.  One, the material is transparent not reflective.  If you ever take a camera and record a reflective surface you will notice that the entire frame will light up.  When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form.  I've been shooting video professionally for 15 years and I have never seen anything like this.  I shoot weddings with all kinds of reflective decorations and crazy lights.  You NEVER get a localized washout like this.

Then of course there is a sound.  The sound, you can tell, is VERY close and such a coincidence that it occurs as the light is happening.  

That said, I am still inclined to go with your explanation  because I have a hard time believing ghosts are real.

32 minutes ago, KylaFamilyVlog said:

I am watching again and again and see the piece of decoration you are talking about.  I'm inclined to agree with this theory except for two problems.  One, the material is transparent not reflective.

Many of that type of decoration are *both* to varying degrees.  

If you ever take a camera and record a reflective surface you will notice that the entire frame will light up.

What ARE you talking about?  Are you saying that any old decoration will light up the frame like a flashgun?  That's just ridiculous.  A reflective surface that is small and under normal room lighting will certainly NOT do what you are claiming.  Please post an example, if you wish to go on with that claim.

When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form.

Word salad.  Post the frames you are referring to as STILL images, and annotated to show what you mean.  By the way, how *close* was the decoration to the lens, and how have you taken out of focus and blooming / flare effects into account?  I assume the camera had a light that would have very brightly illuminated stuff very near to the lens, yes?  You *should* know all about this if you've..

.. been shooting video professionally for 15 years

.. right?  Unless it was just doing weddings........

and I have never seen anything like this.  I shoot weddings with all kinds of reflective decorations and crazy lights.  You NEVER get a localized washout like this.

Gee, could there be a difference when this is (I'm guessing) a darkened environment, versus the usual brightly lit circumstances of a wedding or reception...

For the record, I've shot weddings for several years back in the 70's/80's, but using very high end still cameras (Bronica/Hasselblad).  I've been a pretty serious general photographer/videographer for over 50 years - nowadays it's just a hobby, and I've added photographic analysis as a *serious* pastime.

Now if you want to claim a lot of experience, then you had better be sure of your facts, and not assume that all photography is like what you may have encountered during weddings.  It *isn't*, and in fact as soon as there are more challenging low light situations, along with dangling crap with lights on it, other directional/erratic lighting, and someone who isn't familiar with their surroundings and how their camera lens/lighting operate under those conditions ... well, the chances you'll get that analysis right are pretty low.

That said, I am still inclined to go with your explanation  because I have a hard time believing ghosts are real.

You certainly wouldn't know it from the way you presented this..  Anyway, I'm sorry if I sound harsh/jaded, but we see so much of this stuff as people attempt to be the next viral sensation...  It's tiring..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

Well you haven't been pleasant from the start so I don't expect you to start now.  Doesn't phase me.  

I'm happy you have so much experience.  I'm glad you're helping to analyze this.

Anyone here can shine a light into a reflective surface to see how it would react with their lens.  I don't need to post an image because at some point we have all done that.  I'm willing to bet that no one can recreate this.  (yes I'm challenging you Mr. pro)

Since you're the pro and I'm not, why don't you replicate this for us and post it here.  USING VIDEO.

It would really calm my nerves if this could be replicated.  I would much rather continue my belief that ghosts don't exist.  I'm going to bet that in your 50 years of experience, however, you have never seen any refraction like this either.  

I don't know what kind of weddings you shot but many of my receptions are VERY dark.  I do high end weddings that are usually decorated like crazy.  Weddings are much different today than in the 70s.

As for your "word salad" statement, perhaps I can translate into simple English for you since you didn't seem to understand me the first time.

"When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form"

in other words when we see the "ghost" is completely white (us pro video guys call this a wash because the image is whited out) in ONLY that spot (localized) and seems to have a form (the image by all means has a human outline)

As far as the image being the result of something dangling, the POINT or END of the object would be at the bottom, not at the top. It would narrow out towards the bottom, not upwards.  What I see here is a human shape. 

And again....there is the SOUND accompanying it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KylaFamilyVlog said:

Cool what part?  Have you been to the conference house?

Bulls Head.

My sister currently  lives in Westerleigh.

I don't think I've ever been to the conference house unless I was really young and don't remember.

Edited by SecretSanta

3 hours ago, KylaFamilyVlog said:

Well you haven't been pleasant from the start so I don't expect you to start now.  Doesn't phase me.  I'm happy you have so much experience.  I'm glad you're helping to analyze this.

No problem.  Don't mind my attitude, just deal with the facts, ma'am...

3 hours ago, KylaFamilyVlog said:

Anyone here can shine a light into a reflective surface to see how it would react with their lens.

And then expect us to exactly duplicate what you got?  That's a bit silly.  We don't know:

• - how big 'it' was, in other words the reflecting area
  • where it was relative to the lens
  • where it was relative to the light
  • at what angle it was to to the lens
  • at what angle it was to the light source
  • how bright the light source was (and how collimated/directional)
  • where the lens was focused
  • what ISO was in use
  • what the aperture was

.. amongst others.  And then add to that we have no idea how that particular lens/sensor combination behaves when it 'flares'.  And as you should know, even a small change in say aperture, can completely change the appearance of the object or it's resulting flare or 'bokeh blob'.

Do you deny that ALL of those will affect the result?  Be specific if you disagree.

If you agree (and I'd suggest you do, unless you wish to expose a lack of photographic knowledge) would you not agree that replicating something that happened for just a second or so in an environment we have no access to and all of those variables to play with, is a bit of a ridiculous request?  Do you know how many thousands of combinations would have to be tried?  And you will just subjectively dismiss any such efforts as not close enough.  It's an old trick - and it won't wash here.  BTW, I happily invite any truly experienced photographers to chime in here,

I don't need to post an image because at some point we have all done that.  I'm willing to bet that no one can recreate this.  (yes I'm challenging you Mr. pro)

And as described above, that is a very silly request.  You know no-one will be bothered, and why should they if there is nothing unexplainable.  This site is about dismissing the rubbish (eg Halloween promotions) and finding the genuine unexplained mysteries.  From what others (whose opinion I respect) have reported, there is nothing out of the ordinary to explain..  And to be frank, if you are not willing to post a still of the most compelling moment of your video, that suggests to me that you are not very confident about the claim.  With good reason - and you've already been given those reasons by other posters as well as me.

It would really calm my nerves if this could be replicated.

You'll be staying nervous then.  Unless of course YOU go back with YOUR camera and YOUR camera settings and YOUR movements through THAT environment and simply find the truth for yourself by bumping into a few of those decorations/lights ..

I'm going to bet that in your 50 years of experience, however, you have never seen any refraction like this either.  

A minor quibble - that is NOT a refraction.  If you wish to be treated as knowledgable, take a little more care with your use of terms.  Anyway, just post the still image and I'll take a look...

But it is true to say that if something flares out badly, for whatever reason, I'll probably toss the footage, and not even look for potential human shapes in the flare before doing so.... :D 

When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form"  in other words when we see the "ghost" is completely white (us pro video guys call this a wash because the image is whited out) in ONLY that spot (localized) and seems to have a form (the image by all means has a human outline).

They don't use the old term 'blown'?  Oh well, whatever - I won't be commenting on that unless you show a still.  Anyone else here view the video and see an inexplicable human-like ghost shape?

As far as the image being the result of something dangling, the POINT or END of the object would be at the bottom, not at the top. It would narrow out towards the bottom, not upwards.

??????  You do say some very weird things......  What law of dangling shapes suggests that?  Indeed, at Halloween, I'd suggest a lot of hanging shapes might be gee, golly gosh, ghost shaped?

Which suggests what, exactly, to you?

This is as explainable as they come - you can see a shiny tinsel thing hanging down in the same spot as the "ghost".

It's a shiny decoration that brushes past the mic. No mystery here.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KylaFamilyVlog said:

I do high end weddings that are usually decorated like crazy.  

Are you saying that you are a professional photographer? This wasn't clear by reading your OP and lends more credibility to your position.

Edited by papageorge1

On 11/3/2017 at 2:26 AM, KylaFamilyVlog said:

I am watching again and again and see the piece of decoration you are talking about.  I'm inclined to agree with this theory except for two problems.  One, the material is transparent not reflective.  If you ever take a camera and record a reflective surface you will notice that the entire frame will light up.  When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form.  I've been shooting video professionally for 15 years and I have never seen anything like this.  I shoot weddings with all kinds of reflective decorations and crazy lights.  You NEVER get a localized washout like this.

Then of course there is a sound.  The sound, you can tell, is VERY close and such a coincidence that it occurs as the light is happening.  

On 11/3/2017 at 3:18 AM, KylaFamilyVlog said:

Well you haven't been pleasant from the start so I don't expect you to start now.  Doesn't phase me.  

I'm happy you have so much experience.  I'm glad you're helping to analyze this.

Anyone here can shine a light into a reflective surface to see how it would react with their lens.  I don't need to post an image because at some point we have all done that.  I'm willing to bet that no one can recreate this.  (yes I'm challenging you Mr. pro)

Since you're the pro and I'm not, why don't you replicate this for us and post it here.  USING VIDEO.

It would really calm my nerves if this could be replicated.  I would much rather continue my belief that ghosts don't exist.  I'm going to bet that in your 50 years of experience, however, you have never seen any refraction like this either.  

I don't know what kind of weddings you shot but many of my receptions are VERY dark.  I do high end weddings that are usually decorated like crazy.  Weddings are much different today than in the 70s.

As for your "word salad" statement, perhaps I can translate into simple English for you since you didn't seem to understand me the first time.

"When the figure is seen here, however, the WASH is localized into a form"

in other words when we see the "ghost" is completely white (us pro video guys call this a wash because the image is whited out) in ONLY that spot (localized) and seems to have a form (the image by all means has a human outline)

As far as the image being the result of something dangling, the POINT or END of the object would be at the bottom, not at the top. It would narrow out towards the bottom, not upwards.  What I see here is a human shape. 

Ok, so transparent instead of metallic.. but still very much reflective. That's why the light reflects off of it in the farther off shot- because it's reflective. Something does not even have to be as smooth and shiny as a plastic transparent or metallic ribbon to be reflective- folks get their fingers and camera straps into images all the time, and they flash up just like the ribbon did in your video.

You may have been shooting video for 15 years for regular things, and don't for a second think I discount that. But for just as many years and more, I've been scrutinizing paranormal images. You probably rarely look for the paranormal in regular footage, and probably shoot a lot of live footage. I have a lot of years looking at weird stuff, trying to figure out what's supposed to be normal in paranormal pictures. You do a lot of weddings and better light things I assume... I've done a lot of scare acting, and try to keep up with haunted photography. I realize full well how often haunts set up bits. Especially now a days, when folks taking cameras through the place are popular to do.

The image result is that of a twisted ribbon. The point end of it is up, because that's where the twist in the ribbon is. This also is where the thinning of the twist happens- it's just cut off at the top of the camera eye so we don't see it fattening up again at the top of the image. It's fat at the bottom because the wide side of the ribbon is facing the camera instead of the twist.

The green webbing before the ribbon is a giveaway too- the same webbing is on the wall in the room. Even the filament "ghosts" show up when you look at it enough- it's physical webbing.

The sound being very close is because the camera was very close to the green webbing and ribbon as it panned across.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, KylaFamilyVlog said:

It would really calm my nerves if this could be replicated.  I would much rather continue my belief that ghosts don't exist.  I'm going to bet that in your 50 years of experience, however, you have never seen any refraction like this either

I'm sorry but prepare those nerves for some jangling. It can't be replicated as I've positively identified that this is a class 3 inter-dimensional roamer with quasi-poltergitic underworld features. See as it disappeared? That's a dimensional doorway and you're lucky to still be alive, most normal people would have been sucked through.

My guess is you have a latent gift and that's why this demon has cursed you when it failed. Two mouthfuls of sage before bed should rid you of it.