Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hidden chamber found in Great Pyramid

The Caspian Hare

1 hour ago, flashman7870 said:

I mean, obviously they're not reporting on the Library of Thoth, but that's because they already know where it is. 

No, they've opened the Library of Thoth to the public. It's free. Kids' Day is every Sunday, and Thoth himself reads from ancient Egyptian children's stories.

Also, while I got a hold of you: could you give me the run down on what's wrong with the water erosion argument? 

Others can probably answer that better than I, but in summary it's overly simplistic. Water erosion is one possible explanation, but it ignores too many other possibilities. Most importantly, it ignores the detailed archaeological surveys that have occurred at Giza for so many years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flashman7870 said:

I mean, obviously they're not reporting on the Library of Thoth, but that's because they already know where it is. 

Also, while I got a hold of you: could you give me the run down on what's wrong with the water erosion argument? 

The problem with that argument is that it's not actually the argument.

Schoch's date is based on subsurface weathering, not surface erosion. He took data from a few soundings around the sphinx and got echoes back at different rates. He interpreted this to mean different weathering in different areas.

The sort of weathering he claimed is caused by exposure to air, and neither water nor sand would affect it at all.

Schoch's actual claim, based on this data, is that the front of the sphinx was carved in antiquity, and the rear completed in the Old Kingdom.

His data appears to have been biased though. Such a claim, if valid, would require homogeneous limestone in the bedrock, and around the sphinx it is anything but homogeneous. In fact, there are three distinct beds exposed on the enclosure surface because the beds are not horizontal. Different beds have different qualities, one of which is rate of weathering due to exposure to air. There are different beds in a different order on the sides of the sphinx, and there are things like fossil coral reefs found in some of them, but not others, causing considerable differences in how sound would be reflected.

On top of that, taking Schoch's data (and it is scant - he only took one sounding behind the sphinx, for example,) and using his own method, one can see that the areas to each side of the sphinx should be older than the front and rear.

Schoch himself has admitted that what weathering on stone looks like has far more to do with the morphology of the stone itself than with the method of weathering.

Meanwhile, the sphinx and enclosure can be seen to be undergoing haloclastic weathering on every surface. Such weathering can cause the effect that looks like what many call "water erosion" and probably explains most of the weathering on the sphinx and enclosure that we see today.

Harte

• Like 5

Thing is ... the Sphinx was buried under sand for the longest time ...

~

For thousands of years, sand buried the colossus up to its shoulders, creating a vast disembodied head atop the eastern edge of the Sahara. Then, in 1817, a Genoese adventurer, Capt. Giovanni Battista Caviglia, led 160 men in the first modern attempt to dig out the Sphinx. They could not hold back the sand, which poured into their excavation pits nearly as fast as they could dig it out. The Egyptian archaeologist Selim Hassan finally freed the statue from the sand in the late 1930s. “The Sphinx has thus emerged into the landscape out of shadows of what seemed to be an impenetrable oblivion,” the New York Times declared.

~

• smithsonian mag link

~

... and protected too, I might add ...

~

• Like 1

17 hours ago, third_eye said:

Thing is ... the Sphinx was buried under sand for the longest time ...

• smithsonian mag link

~

... and protected too, I might add ...

~

What? Crusty old things usually are dusty. I mean, look at me in this family photo:

d63efdf1d7dceabed6dd1e30a2507441--desert

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

What? Crusty old things usually are dusty. I mean, look at me in this family photo:

d63efdf1d7dceabed6dd1e30a2507441--desert

Hmmmmm, mummy enchiladas!

• Like 5

On November 18, 2017 at 0:03 AM, Hanslune said:

Hmmmmm, mummy enchiladas!

That's it, you are no longer invited to our family reunions. We're not safe around you. We've been inviting you only because you always brought the best booze. Besides, we don't taste good. Very dry and crumbly.

On 11/19/2017 at 11:27 PM, kmt_sesh said:

That's it, you are no longer invited to our family reunions. We're not safe around you. We've been inviting you only because you always brought the best booze. Besides, we don't taste good. Very dry and crumbly.

Butter makes everything better

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Butter makes everything better

Mole amarillito sauce!     And access to stomach pump just in case.