Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elementals

Loonboy

???

Does anyone know anything about 'elementals'?

I was out with two friends walking our dogs in a country park and the dogs were being their usual selves until we passed through a fir wood. We reached a spot that was no different to any other to our eyes and suddenly one dog ran back to us and would not leave our side, one ran back half the way and then turned to watch a spot in the woods about ten feet from us. The last dog remained close to this spot, snarling with its hackles up.

We could neither hear nor see anything to cause their behaviour. Gradually the dogs started to look off to the left and farther into the distance, as if whatever they didn't like was moving away.

Eventually they returned to normal and we continued our walk in peace.

It freaked us a little.  :o

When we got back, someone mentioned that it might have been an 'elemental' or 'nature spirit'.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• SpaceyKC

• Homer

• PurpleStuart

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

As for your other suggestion, it couldn't have been a deer, because whatever it was they were looking at was clearly INVISIBLE to us. There was no vegetation apart from the tree trunks, which were fairly widely spaced, and the dead brown pine needles on the ground. We were only ten feet away from the spot the dogs were looking at and we could see nothing.

Maybe the woods were haunted...

The 'four-legged' animal kingdom is known for being 'in tune' where Humans are not as perceptive, or have not developed their perceptive abilities.

My Mother died 3,000 miles away from where I was living. I went back East, made arrangements and then brought her Cremains back with me to be sent to Hawaii to be scattered. While 'she' was in the back bedroom, in that little black box, my dog would NOT go into the room. He would sit in the doorway, make small 'whining' sounds, then put his rear end in reverse in a hurry. He never growled, just seemed apprehensive and refused to go into that room, until my Mother was on her way to Hawaii.

He is also very sensitive to Earthquakes and the severe weather we have where we live now.

I would imagine your dogs 'sensed' the presence of something not noticable to you..  :)

• 6 months later...

I don't know if this counts for this subject, but last summer, my mom and I were standing outside, the sun was just about to set.  Out of nowhere my dog was barking at the sky for about five minutes, then he went quiet and ran into his doghouse. Then a bright green object skipped across the sky and went east.  Me and my mom just thought it as a meteor, but we still don't know why the dog barked, he never did when other meteors went by.  :sj  :sa

My suggestion would be that dogs have a much keener sense of smell and hearing and could of detected that instead of "seeing something invisable"

Loonboy is it possible in your mind that the dogs could of smelt the recent passing by of an animal, maybe a Badger? Badgers are vicious and most dogs are afraid of them.

Nancy - dogs and cats tend to sense when it is about to rain, things that humans only sense some of the time - the "ozone" type smell that comes just before a storm etc also with earthquakes i imagine before one happens some subterranian gases escape or some noises could be heard which only animals can smell/hear.

Becca - i'd imagine a meteor in some circumstances could emit high frequency sounds as it breaking up in the atmosphere, maybe on this occassion it was a frequency your dog could hear.

These are only my suggestions, what do you guys reckon?

[blue]It's a fair suggestion but I've had dogs all my life (I even used to breed them at one point) and so I pretty much know how they behave and have a good idea as to what's causing their actions.

Whenever they have smelled something wild when out on a walk, they will sniff around on the ground feverishly, back and forth, or shoot off, usually with their noses down.

This time, they were looking at something, not smelling the ground or air. Plus they remained in one spot. The only time I've seen my dog do that was when it first saw a horse - she froze, ears up, tail quivering and growling lightly.

I still don't know what it was, but we don't walk that way with the dogs anymore...

call me a coward

[/blue]

I would never call anyone that when they are faced with the unexplained, as fear of the unknown is one of humankinds most deep routed fears - a survival instinct.

Where was it - would it be a good place for an investigation?

Yea, it could have been that. I didn't really think about the noise thing.  My mom was talking about this feeling she had run down her spine when the meteor passed, but I gave myself an explanation already.  :s06

some years ago when I lived in the Yorkshire Dales.

Every night depending what time I left the pub I would walk my three dogs one was a Springer Spaniel the other two were 19 stone English Mastiffs and belive you me they where afraid of nothing. Badgers would soon be taken care of should one cross their path.

All three dogs were off their leads and as usual the Springer was rooting around the undergrowth next to the ruins of an old castle. The only light we had was the moon. The two Mastiffs were ahead of me suddenly they both stood still and stared into empty space. At first I thought it may be somone walking their dogs so I instantly ran towards them and slipped the leads over their heads.

Neither dog moved they just continued to stare, I turned around and the Springer was also motionless some four or five feet behind me. He was also looking in the same direction as the Mastiffs. I could see nothing and tried to coax them forward. There is no way you can make one dog the size of a small pony move forward let alone two if they don't want to.

I still couldn't see anything when the giant male suddenly bared his teeth and snarled in a deep menecing tone. I knew there was something wrong but to this day I still have no idea what.

As suddely their posture a attitude changed and they walked on with me holding the leads. A ghost I couldn't see it. Human no way. :sf

[blue]Funnily enough, my own experience was also in Yorkshire. A place called Newmillerdam, a water park and woods. And your experience sounds quite similar to mine. Creepy.[/blue]

:se

I've had Great Danes, Wolfhounds and Dobermanns all my life (don't anybody make jokes OK? :s8) plus cats and horses and various.

Yes, indeed, I believe that animals can sense what we can't - we gave up on our sixth sense (the pineal gland I believe) a long long time ago.  We lost something vital in order to gain  - WHAT?

Was it Magikman (if not, I'm sorry OK?) who gave his feet placed firmly on the ground, not going anywhere opinion about animals.

Animals can sense all sorts of things - what about the wildlife which can sense earthquakes, rain, storms, etc etc.

How do you explain my cat who was in the living room with me a few days ago, early in the morning, 05h00, all shutters down, me in the "just got up state", waiting for the coffee, when all of a sudden he starts howling, yowling - the works and runs into my bedroom, tearing at the not possible to see out of windows, 'cos they're shut, plus the shutters are down.  I lift the shutters to see - another cat on his territory.

How do you explain my Dobermann, Apollo, who came and got me (literally by grabbing me by the hand) out of my bedroom, seconds before the ceiling came crashing down?

How do you explain my Great Dane, Claudia, who saved my boyfriend's life by refusing to go another step and then the bomb went off in Harrods?

How do you explain one of my horses, who, when we were in the woods, stopped infront of a silver birch tree and would not move for 3 minutes.  He was quivering all over, not with fear, and pawing the ground and whickering.  Silver Birches are, as I believe,( let's say like to believe) very magical trees where Unicorns (you have to believe in unicorns of course) go.

At the end of the day, ALL is about whether you believe, would like to believe, have a fertile imagination etc, etc. Fantasy is great, if used with care.  Out of hand is where the danger lies;

I think if you, personally,  see something - ghosts, ufos, etc.,  then it becomes a bona fide fact.  A most trusted eye-witness,  first hand account!   :su

The same goes for an experience with animals.  I think they,  and young children, are very intuitive.   As we gain responsibilities,  we lose these abilities.  

(so,  the moral of this story is -  don't make your pet take on too many chores!!)  ;D

Was that worth 2 cents?   :s04

Just kidding Nora. I believe that animals have like ESP, where they not only have a keener sense of seeing and hearing than humans, but can actually sense what can't be seen or heard. I also believe some people can sense some things during some situations, but not as much as animals. And dogs, I think, are much more aware of their senses than most other animals.

O.K., that being said, what if what they are sensing is something from another dimension that's brushing up against one of our dimensions. Also what if ghosts are actually in another dimension(if someone has already said this before, I apologize), and our dimensions are somehow either brushing up against each other or overlapping somewhat. And that ghosts see us as we see them.

Was that worth 1 cent?

Homer,

Thanks for the 5 cents!! You're too generous!  ;D

I think Becca_gurl has mentioned in another post,  about dimensions touching each other,  and the results of that happening.  It definitely is thought provoking!

KC

Thanks Nora, I thought that sounded familiar, but I forgot where I got it from. It is thought provoking, like you said.

Homer,

I think maybe the reason why some people have these 'sightings' more than others,  is because their bodies (or energies) are more in tune to it,  closer to that other dimension.  

How much was that worth?  :P

[blue]

It is foolish of some humans to believe that all they see, hear, touch, taste, smell is all that there is to sense. Also, it is narrowminded to believe that just because we can see, we can see all that there is to see.

The universe is a pretty big place, and our own experience of it is miniscule. All the bets are off. We cannot possibly know yet all that there is to know. Our minds should be firmly open, not closed off by our arrogance.

We don't have cents here, so I'll say: I'll get down off my soapbox now.

:s04

[/blue]

LB,

You need to get more serious about your convictions!!  J/K  ;D

I completely agree with you.  If only everyone thought that way.  We should all have open minds.  Ignorance also keeps the doors closed.

You can have the box back now. :s04

An open mind with a healthy dose of scepticism is best I feel, as there are too many charlatans in this world.

A lot of animals have recently been proved to be able to sense magnetic fields - this is how homing pigeons find their way home and wild geese migrate and sharks know their territory. Recently also there has been a lot of study of the effects of strong magnetic fields on the human brain, where volunteers have experienced what seems to be the paranormal in laboratory tests.

Could this be what these animals were sensing?

Gizzie - I can see how it would be possible for your cat to know it's rival was outside (smell, hearing) and stretching credulity a bit your dog could of heard the noises of the floor going, before human ears could pick it up. His realisation of what the noise meant, and the ramifications of what would happen to anyone in the room added to the problem solving of what to do next makes Apollo one truly smart dog. You sure he didn't just happen to want to go walkies at that moment in time?  ;D

Claudia saving your boyfriend is inexplicable apart from coincedence or the paranormal - unless you got her from the bomb squad... the sound of a bomb in the split second of it going off and the visual affect would be near instantaneous. The further away they were standing from the bomb, the more likely the explosion would be seen before the noise of the bomb starting to explode, so it rules that completely out.  

Your horse well thats just plain odd and could be anything - but i like your unicorn explaination  :)

• 1 month later...

Nature spirits which include elementals are believed to be various types of beings or spirits which inhabit Nature. The belief in their existence was almost universal in the ancient era of religions which embodied animism. This belief still exists among many people who believe that all things possess life, which is especially true among most occultists and Neo-pagan witches. These spirits are thought to possess supernatural powers and are usually invisible to humans, save those possessing the psychic ability of clairvoyance.

Elementals are of a lower type of nature spirit. They are believed to exist as the life force in all living things. They are said to even exist in the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water; the planets, stars, and the signs of the zodiac; and the hours of the day and night. :sr