Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Athletes who hung on too long....

BruiserBrody

http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/football/jim-brown-80s-comeback/

I recently wrote a piece on Jim Brown's feud with Franco Harris. Harris was on the verge of besting Brown's NFL career rushing record, and Brown was not pleased by Harris' meek running style. Brown went so far as to lobby to be allowed to play for the Raiders. Eventually, he and Harris ended up competing in a four event competition which aired in syndication on Super Bowl weekend of 1985.  

Other notables: 
Reggie White - I'll never forget the image of White as a Panther, being passed up during running drills by the massive Sean Gilbert. 
Lyle Alonzo - A comeback attempt at 40 went badly. 
Johnny Unitas as a Charger.
Joe Namath trotting out as a Ram for 4 games. 
Brett Favre's final year in Minnesota, where he ended his ironman career by being pummeled into a mass of rubble, never to take another snap. 

Who do you have to add?
Several boxers and MMA fighters definitely belong in this category. 

• Like 4

Paula Radcliffe hung on too long :lol:

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BruiserBrody said:

I recently wrote a piece on Jim Brown's feud with Franco Harris. Harris was on the verge of besting Brown's NFL career rushing record, and Brown was not pleased by Harris' meek running style. Brown went so far as to lobby to be allowed to play for the Raiders. Eventually, he and Harris ended up competing in a four event competition which aired in syndication on Super Bowl weekend of 1985.  

Other notables: 
Reggie White - I'll never forget the image of White as a Panther, being passed up during running drills by the massive Sean Gilbert. 
Brett Favre's final year in Minnesota, where he ended his ironman career by being pummeled into a mass of rubble, never to take another snap. 

Who do you have to add?

You mean Lyle Alzado?

I will add Joe Montana and Tony Dorsett.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BruiserBrody said:

Other notables: 

Who do you have to add?

Honestly between Boxing,MMA,and pro wrestling you could write a novel just with names lol

Just a few

Boxing...Joe Louis,Ali,tyson

MMA...Wanderlie Silva,Ken Shamrock,half of the Gracie family

Pro wrestling...Hulk Hogan,Ric Flair,The Undertaker,ect.

• Like 2

Ill never forget watching Elway hobble onto the field towards the end of his time , Davis really carried him for those last couple of years. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Ill never forget watching Elway hobble onto the field towards the end of his time , Davis really carried him for those last couple of years. 

Yep i'll never forget seeing Peyton that last year in a Broncos jersey looking eerily similair!

Don't know how i left out the KING of holding on too long...Evander Holyfield!

I'll never forget when both Klitschko brothers were holding belts and Evander was begging them for a title shot and both turned down a sure fire first ballot hall of famer on their resumes out of respect and not wanting to kill the man in the ring!

I was really happy and relieved for the sport the day he FINALLY called it quits...i was afraid he was determined to die in a ring.

One of the fastest wtf happened,why did he hold on so long was Roy Jones Jr!...

He was still tearing up the light heavyweight division,went up and won 1 heavy belt,went back down and just WOW!!!...and that WOW went on for about 10 more years lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

LOLOLOL, yeah, he really backed into the last 2 world championships to end his career. What a terrible way to go out! :rolleyes:

Bitter much?

"If it's BROWN flush it".

Elway passed for 336 yards in a 34-19 victory over the Atlanta Falcons. He was named the Super Bowl MVP.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

LMAO :rofl:

By his last year he was a bit "beat up" but i'll never forget him "taking flight" running for that td!

Maybe my Peyton comparison was a bit dramatic though :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

LMAO :rofl:

By his last year he was a bit "beat up" but i'll never forget him "taking flight" running for that td!

Maybe my Peyton comparison was a bit dramatic though :lol:

Cool, I won't say anything about the Panthers.

Who?...what? :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Cool, I won't say anything about the Panthers.

Who?...what? :lol:

Why you...meh to the victor and all that jazz :whistle:

I'm over it,i want Cam outta Carolina anyway before there is nothing left of him!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I'm over it,i want Cam outta Carolina anyway before there is nothing left of him!

Quite a revelation that is! :o

Sounds like the O line isn't up to snuff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

LOLOLOL, yeah, he really backed into the last 2 world championships to end his career. What a terrible way to go out! :rolleyes:

Bitter much?

Comeon man I didnt mean it as an insult, but watching the dude waddle around made MY knees hurt. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yep i'll never forget seeing Peyton that last year in a Broncos jersey looking eerily similair!

Don't know how i left out the KING of holding on too long...Evander Holyfield!

I'll never forget when both Klitschko brothers were holding belts and Evander was begging them for a title shot and both turned down a sure fire first ballot hall of famer on their resumes out of respect and not wanting to kill the man in the ring!

I was really happy and relieved for the sport the day he FINALLY called it quits...i was afraid he was determined to die in a ring.

One of the fastest wtf happened,why did he hold on so long was Roy Jones Jr!...

He was still tearing up the light heavyweight division,went up and won 1 heavy belt,went back down and just WOW!!!...and that WOW went on for about 10 more years lol

Thats right I forgot about both of their sagas! Reading that made me think of James Toney so I googled him, man I didnt realize he fought Couture in MMA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Comeon man I didnt mean it as an insult, but watching the dude waddle around made MY knees hurt. 

Sorry amigo, I rerun Youtube vids of a couple of AFC championships on a loop.

Hell, Watson is out for the season, I'm a little "peckish" tonight. ;)

• Like 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Sorry amigo, I rerun Youtube vids of a couple of AFC championships on a loop.

Hell, Watson is out for the season, I'm a little "peckish" tonight. ;)

Definitely understand that! 

• Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Thats right I forgot about both of their sagas! Reading that made me think of James Toney so I googled him, man I didnt realize he fought Couture in MMA. 

Oh yeah he sure did lol,if you want to call that a "fight" :lol:

That was the last fight i watched with my lil bro before he left for paris island.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 11:18 PM, CrimsonKing said:

Pro wrestling...Hulk Hogan,Ric Flair,The Undertaker,ect.

You take that back! Besides, that's not wrasslin!

MMA I'd say Arlovski (one of my favs ever), Cro Cop, BJ Penn, possibly Lidell, Fedor (competes with cro cop for fav ever) and there's one guy I'm trying to think of and can't remember his name. He may have been a Silva, I think he was roided out at one point and was freakishly explosive. He ko'd somebody via switch kick but can't think of his name (not machida) and was definitely brazilian. Also another guy who I can't think of who had long hair, balls of steel and was a wrestler I think. White guy from the states and the type of a guy who would fight on a days notice no problem.

Crimson what are your thoughts on machida and bisping? What about the bisping/gsp fight (which is going to happen at the night of this post)?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 5:19 PM, internetperson said:

You take that back! Besides, that's not wrasslin!

MMA I'd say Arlovski (one of my favs ever), Cro Cop, BJ Penn, possibly Lidell, Fedor (competes with cro cop for fav ever) and there's one guy I'm trying to think of and can't remember his name. He may have been a Silva, I think he was roided out at one point and was freakishly explosive. He ko'd somebody via switch kick but can't think of his name (not machida) and was definitely brazilian. Also another guy who I can't think of who had long hair, balls of steel and was a wrestler I think. White guy from the states and the type of a guy who would fight on a days notice no problem.

Crimson what are your thoughts on machida and bisping? What about the bisping/gsp fight (which is going to happen at the night of this post)?

Nice list ;)

As i said,one could write a novel on just names between boxing,mma,and "wrasslin" lol...as for the white guy from the states i almost guessed Dan Severn until you said long hair?...but yeah he's another,that dude was still fighting not to long ago lol

I've never much liked Bisping and think he stuck around long enough to the point that the 185 division was nothing like it was 5-7 years ago...

As for Bisping GSP,i actually picked Bisping to win with GSP being out 4 years but man was i WRONG!...I was at a friends how and he ordered the fight,the moment i saw GSP i knew i picked badly lol...GSP looked insanely HUGE!...I'd be shocked if his post fight drug test doesn't come back "cloudy" he looked insane!

That whole card turned out bad for me pick wise lol,JoAnna losing to Rose and Garbrandt going down was all very suprising!

• Like 1

^ Was thinking of Clay Guida. 

Was thinking same thing on bisping/gsp as well. That's not rust that's rot haha. Apparently wasn't an issue. And good for Rose! Definitely didn't see that coming. 

• Like 1