Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is absurd

Illyrius

1 hour ago, Mr. Argon said:

First of all, to make things completely clear I am not talking over here about believing in some sort of continuance of the soul, I am adressing only a point of view that there is absolutely nothing after death.

I find such a point of view absurd. And you?

What was there before birth??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

It's not about examples.

It is about logic.

If you have a garden, and you know there are always some flies in it, let's say you lose an access to that garden, and no one can acess it. Then somebody asks you "prove me that there are flies in your garden". You would know that they are most likely there, but you couldn't prove it.

Yet I can show you flies and a garden.because you can demonstrate flies and gardens, it is not unreasonable to assume there are flies in your garden.  

You can not show the afterlife or souls. There is no connection between your analogy and what you are trying to prove. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

It's not about examples.

It is about logic.

If you have a garden, and you know there are always some flies in it, let's say you lose an access to that garden, and no one can acess it. Then somebody asks you "prove me that there are flies in your garden". You would know that they are most likely there, but you couldn't prove it.

Again why do you get to impose artificial restrictions ?

If your analogy only works when you do that, it's not really a very good analogy is it ?

• Like 2

Just now, Wes4747 said:

According to my belief before birth was an intermediate state between two incarnations. Spending some time in various spiritual realms.

Just now, Mr. Argon said:

According to my belief before birth was an intermediate state between two incarnations. Spending some time in various spiritual realms.

Can you even verify that for yourself?

• Like 1

Just now, Wes4747 said:

Can you even verify that for yourself?

No way. I only believe in that.

3 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

You can not show the afterlife or souls. There is no connection between your analogy and what you are trying to prove.

I'm only trying to point out that sometimes you can't prove something although you know that it is true. That was the point of analogy.

3 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Something like this maybe ?

fetal-development.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Nah an unprovable intermediate state between two incarnations in spiritual realms is much more likely. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Nah an unprovable intermediate state between two incarnations in spiritual realms is much more likely.

As usual shallow misdirections.

I'm only trying to point out that sometimes you can't prove something although you know that it is true. That was the point of analogy.

Except in your analogy, in flies and gardens you can demonstrate them to be true. You're making a deduction from two empirical facts. 

In the latter, you can not demonstrate your presumptions and then make a conclusion from presumptions, that chain of logic is therefore flawed. 

And because of that, your analogy is false. 

• Like 3

LOL.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

As usual shallow misdirections.

Actually its sarcasm.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Actually its sarcasm.

I don't think he actually understands how it works. 

• Like 2

Sorry dear proof worshiping atheists. Just went to my garden to see are there any flies in it. Couldn't find any,

:whistle:

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim that something exists. 

If I claimed that Invisible Pink Unicorns exist, I think you would agree that it was my job to prove that assertion. Why should it be different with a soul ?

Because we don't know one exists. People have tried to prove it for hundreds of years, yet no one have done it yet. The simplest reason for the inability to see, measure or explain a soul is that there isn't one. 

Do you have a way to prove that a soul exists ?

I love that it manages to be both invisible AND pink. 

That rocks.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Except in your analogy, in flies and gardens you can demonstrate them to be true. You're making a deduction from two empirical facts. 

In the latter, you can not demonstrate your presumptions and then make a conclusion from presumptions, that chain of logic is therefore flawed. 

And because of that, your analogy is false.

Just don't getting it. No wonder.

1 minute ago, Mr. Argon said:

Sorry dear proof worshiping atheists. Just went to my garden to see are there any flies in it. Couldn't find any,

:whistle:

I don't worship proof, but I'm struggling to see how your claim is less absurd than, say, the scientologist claim of alien ghosts causing a bad mood. Both have no evidence to support them. 

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Do you have a way to prove that a soul exists ?

I do.

Soul_Train.png

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Kinda like the "I don't know for a fact...I just know it's true" segments on Bill Maher.

Just now, Will Due said:

I do.

Hide contents

Soul_Train.png

He's a soul man...da da da da da da da da...

• Like 1

Just don't getting it. No wonder.

Not getting it because, frankly, your analogy doesn't work as you present it. 

You seem to think you have a slam dunk, but you are building it on bad premises to get to your conclusion. 

For it to work you have to build the support for the afterlife from empirical conclusions, like you can with flies and gardens. Otherwise it is simply a nonsequitar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

I do.

Soul_Train.png

Shoes have souls too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Kinda like the "I don't know for a fact...I just know it's true" segments on Bill Maher.

These atheists should write their hymn.

It would go something like this:

proof, proof, proof, woof woof, silly joke,

woo, proof, woof, fringe, woof,

proof proof....

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

Proof is great. I'm not knocking it.

But there are some things for which we just won't get any.

It's the not knowing that gets to some people.

They need someone to fill in the blanks for them. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked