Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
rashore

The Original Master of Ghost Stories

2 posts in this topic

rashore

Lost keys, a snagged button, a wine glass upset—you spilled it, didn’t you, the wine didn’t spill itself? “The Complete Ghost Stories,” by M. R. James, first published between 1904 and 1935—and reprinted this year by Macmillan, in a hardbound pocket edition, perfect for reading in a stalled subway car—incorporate what the author, the master of the modern ghost story, called “the malice of inanimate objects.” Might that razor, so benign every other morning, know something? Does ill will ferret out, precisely, where we live? The stories start quietly. A young man inherits a country house from an unknown uncle; a print collector finds himself drawn to an oddly undistinguished engraving; a provincial hotel doesn’t—or does it?—have a room numbered thirteen. The humdrum, muffled tone of these stories transmits an atmosphere of almost superannuated ordinariness—fusty antiquarians, old books, the slightly dampish vistas of university life, train platforms in out-of-the-way stations—places and people that mimic the life of the author himself, until they don’t.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-original-master-of-ghost-stories

doctor wu

Great author...I have a trade size paperback of that work.

Some years ago I became interested in various ghost and supernatural fiction writers of the past so I picked up MR James, Le Fanu., Ambrose Bierce, Arthur Machen, Robert Chambers, Arthur Conan Doyle, and of course Lovecraft and Poe...who  are well known. All of them are available in nice trade size paper or even hardback,.