Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question on a stone in the King's chamber

Hanslune

Some one at another forum was asking a question about a stone in the King

The one to right of the sarcophagus

NEQ2vEg.jpg

https://www.thedaobums.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://searchoflife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/kings-chamber-khufu.jpg&key=bf20dba86924e276ccc127422a29d429af7c5b99f8ecdca24d8d45d084dcb354

They were wondering where it came from and where it went? Any ideas

http://historum.com/ancient-history/130558-just-ancient-egypt-55.html#post2852222?postcount=548

Post 548

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

I think we'd have to know how old that photo was.

It could be from the exterior, pushed in during one of the forced entries.  It does appear to be limestone.

If it was from a forced entry and not part of the chamber, they would have removed it sometime during the efforts to make the place generally accessible to the public.  That would not be a fun process.  It'd probably be easier to hammer it to small pieces and haul those out, IMHO.

***this is just a semi-educated guess and not any real knowledge on my part.

• Like 2

IIRC its said to be a bit off one of the boulders moved from the antechamber just near the entrance / opening to the KC, I don't remember where I read or seen it though, its been 'missing' for a while too, not too sure but it seems the early hordes of tourists kept chipping flakes off of it for souvenirs and then some genius thought pieces off the main sarcophagus itself was a better idea.

Idiots ...

I think the Antiquities big hats just moved it elsewhere to prevent the practice and further damage.   

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

I think we'd have to know how old that photo was.

It could be from the exterior, pushed in during one of the forced entries.  It does appear to be limestone.

If it was from a forced entry and not part of the chamber, they would have removed it sometime during the efforts to make the place generally accessible to the public.  That would not be a fun process.  It'd probably be easier to hammer it to small pieces and haul those out, IMHO.

***this is just a semi-educated guess and not any real knowledge on my part.

Tineye doesn't ID where the image comes from.

Here’s a link for another photo with the stone, link says taken 1987: https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankrytell/2156032254

I don’t know if that helps at all! You could probably search a little harder to work put an approximate time frame for when it was removed. I couldn’t quickly and easily find any more dated photos with the stone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Timonthy said:

Here’s a link for another photo with the stone, link says taken 1987: https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankrytell/2156032254

I don’t know if that helps at all! You could probably search a little harder to work put an approximate time frame for when it was removed. I couldn’t quickly and easily find any more dated photos with the stone. 

Looks like granite in that pic.

Harte

• Like 1

If it's not noted in any books, then I suspect it's rubble/damage from earlier entries and was replaced during repairs.  Perhaps a history of repairs to the GP would reveal something?

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

If it's not noted in any books, then I suspect it's rubble/damage from earlier entries and was replaced during repairs.  Perhaps a history of repairs to the GP would reveal something?

Black powder was used to access the relieving chambers above the tomb. Could be from that.

Harte

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Black powder was used to access the relieving chambers above the tomb. Could be from that.

Harte

Is that the chamber with the  (allegedly forged) writing Vyse reported?

Some of the chambers above it.

Harte

I'm not sure what it is. I added a small post to the other forum to say as much. It's there in some photos and absent in others. The chunk looks contoured as though it had been part of a structural member. I can't really add much to this but would second Kenemet's post.

It could have also been a fairly rockfall from the ceiling of the chamber.  I think we'd have to see a lot of photos or drawings and dates to determine this.

Unless it is photoshopped it must have been noted or remarked upon by someone.

35 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It could have also been a fairly rockfall from the ceiling of the chamber.  I think we'd have to see a lot of photos or drawings and dates to determine this.

It must be late and I'm tried because I thought you wrote "fairy rockfall." I was understandably confused. Fairies didn't settle into Egypt until the First Intermediate Period.

I tried pinning this down more but internet photos are so random and almost all of them don't give an accurate notation for dates. The rock chunk is there in some photos and absent for others. I found one photo of it dated to 2007, but does that mean the picture dates to then or the web page on which it was featured?

24 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Unless it is photoshopped it must have been noted or remarked upon by someone.

I looked for a while but could nothing. Nothing, I tell you.

56 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I looked for a while but could nothing. Nothing, I tell you.

Oh no Kmt_sesh doesn't know every bit of AE trivia - one of my childhood Heroes perishes........

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Oh no Kmt_sesh doesn't know every bit of AE trivia - one of my childhood Heroes perishes........

Gotta say - he wasn't looking very well...

• Like 1

I think there's a spell that if mumbled, will bring him right back ... better than ever ...

~

[00.03:14]

~

" Come back ... come back ... "

~

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

It must be late and I'm tried because I thought you wrote "fairy rockfall." I was understandably confused. Fairies didn't settle into Egypt until the First Intermediate Period.

I tried pinning this down more but internet photos are so random and almost all of them don't give an accurate notation for dates. The rock chunk is there in some photos and absent for others. I found one photo of it dated to 2007, but does that mean the picture dates to then or the web page on which it was featured?

I'm confused, were the Fairies Egyptian or South American? Did they settle there or did they just have a small distribution group that managed the cocaine and tobacco trade?

jmccr8

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I was sleepy and random myself.  I thought Fairies settled in Egypt fairly early on however, true evidence, at "Bes" remains elusive.  Like Bes.

Hard to tell on the dates on photos.  In general, I'd assume it meant "when a person uploaded it to that site."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I'm confused, were the Fairies Egyptian or South American? Did they settle there or did they just have a small distribution group that managed the cocaine and tobacco trade?

jmccr8

They traveled between Egypt, South America, and the Pacific Islands.  Like the Ferengi.  They swapped around second hand pyramid building plans, old coconuts, barely legal potatoes, and chickens along with cocaine, tobacco, and Christo-Hindu-Buddhist philosophies on karmic noodle empowerment.

• Like 2

Karmic noodles are best when baked.

Harte

• Like 2

On 11/4/2017 at 2:15 PM, Hanslune said:

They were wondering where it came from and where it went? Any ideas

Could it be a chunk of one of the portcullis stones?

4 hours ago, Harte said:

Karmic noodles are best when baked.

Cheez-its too.  Otherwise, I can't stand 'em.

• Like 2

Lilthor could well be right about the portcullis. I'm willing to bet some tired guard dragged it in there so he'd have a place to sit. I would.