Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Did T. rex use its tiny arms to slash prey ?

Recommended Posts

 
jarjarbinks

What if the arms are not like we thought they are. maybe they were made of small tissue like wings and we only found the bones parts (hands).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taniwha
8 hours ago, jarjarbinks said:

What if the arms are not like we thought they are. maybe they were made of small tissue like wings and we only found the bones parts (hands).

Yes... perhaps they could fly. B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paperdyer

The arms seem short for a T-Rex to be able to grab something before it could gulp it down or bite.  Maybe if it was fighting a large foe the T-Rex would bite and hold on then attack with the arms.

 

I like the small wings theory, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

Egg holders.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bendy Demon

Maybe, like many other dinosaur skeletons in the past, we got the whole the Tyrannosaurus skeleton wrongly assembled. After all it has happened before and will happen again.

Perhaps when a large enough skeleton was found, paleontologists mismatched the bones of similar species. I find it hard to conceive that a huge animal like the Tyrannosaurus would be equipped with such skimpy and rather useless forelimbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
1 hour ago, Ryu said:

Maybe, like many other dinosaur skeletons in the past, we got the whole the Tyrannosaurus skeleton wrongly assembled. After all it has happened before and will happen again.

Perhaps when a large enough skeleton was found, paleontologists mismatched the bones of similar species. I find it hard to conceive that a huge animal like the Tyrannosaurus would be equipped with such skimpy and rather useless forelimbs.

That's an absurd notion considering the number of fairly complete and articulated skeletons that have been found. Not only did Tyrannosaurus have reduced forelimbs, but so did all other tyrannosaurids including Tarbosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus, and Gorgosaurus.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

I like the wing idea, feathered limbs used for mating displays.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
21 hours ago, jarjarbinks said:

What if the arms are not like we thought they are. maybe they were made of small tissue like wings and we only found the bones parts (hands).

We found the arms.  They're not hands.  You can tell the difference.  Really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
On 11/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, UM-Bot said:

One palaeontologist has suggested that Tyrannosaurus rex may have used its arms as vicious weapons.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/313100/did-t-rex-use-its-tiny-arms-to-slash-prey

I think the rest of the paleontologists believe this is not workable.  The arms are tiny and short, and so are the fingers (they had only two fingers) and claws. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
2 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I think the rest of the paleontologists believe this is not workable.  The arms are tiny and short, and so are the fingers (they had only two fingers) and claws. 

As of now it's only an abstract, so we just have to wait for the full paper and hopefully a biomechanical analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bendy Demon
3 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

That's an absurd notion considering the number of fairly complete and articulated skeletons that have been found. Not only did Tyrannosaurus have reduced forelimbs, but so did all other tyrannosaurids including Tarbosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus, and Gorgosaurus.

Sorry that  I offended you with my 'absurd' notion, I was under the mistaken impression that we were having a civilized discussion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Twin

I think they used them to pick their teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
3 hours ago, Ryu said:

Sorry that  I offended you with my 'absurd' notion, I was under the mistaken impression that we were having a civilized discussion.

I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot, but Tyrannosaurus rex is known from so much complete and articulated material that it is indeed absurd to say that its skeleton has been reconstructed completely wrong or that the arms don't belong to that species.

Edited by Carnoferox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

I believe that most species that evolve and remain in existence for millions of years come up with pretty workable body plans.   Tyrannosaurids persisted for quite a long time through a number of species.  We think the arms are "absurd"  because we don't understand how they were used in life.  The various species do not seem to be hampered by the lack of large forelimbs. I think humans are especially prone to think of our arms and hands as indispensable.   They are to us, but not to other body plans.  

Carnoferox or Kenemet, weren't the arms about the length of human arms but more robustly built?  That may seem small on the front of a T rex, but maybe we shouldn't think of them as tiny.  Also,  did arm proportion change from hatchling, to juvenile, to adult?  They might have served different utility at some point in development.  Thanks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I believe that most species that evolve and remain in existence for millions of years come up with pretty workable body plans.   Tyrannosaurids persisted for quite a long time through a number of species.  We think the arms are "absurd"  because we don't understand how they were used in life.  The various species do not seem to be hampered by the lack of large forelimbs. I think humans are especially prone to think of our arms and hands as indispensable.   They are to us, but not to other body plans.  

Carnoferox or Kenemet, weren't the arms about the length of human arms but more robustly built?  That may seem small on the front of a T rex, but maybe we shouldn't think of them as tiny.  Also,  did arm proportion change from hatchling, to juvenile, to adult?  They might have served different utility at some point in development.  Thanks.

 

Sue's arms are about the same length as a human's and she's a 40 foot-long adult. You are correct that tyrannosaurid arms are much more robust than those of humans. However, juvenile tyrannosaurids don't show any significant difference in forelimb proportions.

A picture of Sue's right humerus from Brochu (2003), with the scale bar being 5 cm:

Sue's humerus.PNG

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
20 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

However, juvenile tyrannosaurids don't show any significant difference in forelimb proportions.

A picture of Sue's right humerus from Brochu (2003), with the scale bar being 5 cm:

Thanks for that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.