Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stranger Things on Netflix

rashore

I loved the first season, absolutely amazing.

The second season however...

Spoiler

All good for the first 6 episodes, then it takes this horrible swerve into pseudo-John Carpenter territory for a totally TOTALLY meaningless, naff 7th episode. I mean, it completely ruined the flow of the series. A pity because episode 8 was utterly heart-pounding. The ending was pretty symptomatic of the series in general - its good, but could try so much harder. Oh, and don't even get me started on the last shot. Talk about shoe-horned in.

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

I loved the first season, absolutely amazing.

The second season however...

Spoiler

I know what you mean about episode 7, I did like it though and it wasn't 'totally' meaningless.  Most importantly Eleven is shown that she's more powerful when she channels her anger.  She's also put in some character-defining (albeit cliche) positions where she's pressured to use her powers for questionable reasons and decides not to. 

I definitely agree it was a disconcerting episode given the flow though. There are quite a few shows that will take an episode and focus on one character or one sub-plot for the entire episode, but usually those shows do that more frequently so the overall storytelling is more consistent.  The only thing I can think is that maybe Kali will feature more in future seasons, but yea, clumsy.

Edited by Liquid Gardens

I think in light of the fact that season one has been around for a while, we can probably all openly discuss season one... We might want to give folks wee bit more time to catch up on season 2.. though folks hidden contents are killing me.

In the meantime, an entertaining musical interlude..

• Like 1

I thought season 2 was good, but I skipped the stand alone episode, it seemed little more than a main narrative interruption.

Edited by WoIverine

I liked the first season but the second season is vastly better. There was a lot less filler and the story moved along a lot more briskly. I didn't like the scum (008 and company) that 11 went to hang out with and their episode pretty much ground everything to a stop, but after it moved on to the next episode, it had its legs back and really did the job.

• Like 1

On 2017-11-12 at 10:19 PM, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to finish the last 2 episodes until today and all I have to say is...

Hide contents

wtf...they killed Sam...er Bob.

b*******. Bob was one of the most likeable characters I've ever encountered through any medium. A damned hero as well. It's like they said 'hey, how can we get viewers even more invested in a character than they were with Barb, then p*** them off even more when we kill them?' I didn't like it for that reason. It just felt like a cheap attempt at provoking a reaction. 

Apart from that, the season was great fun. I watched it in one sitting (though to be fair, I do that with almost all Netflix shows. They're just that good).

Edited by ExpandMyMind

On 2017-11-20 at 4:40 PM, WoIverine said:

I thought season 2 was good, but I skipped the stand alone episode, it seemed little more than a main narrative interruption.

On 2017-11-26 at 5:55 AM, Frostburn said:

I didn't like the scum (008 and company) that 11 went to hang out with and their episode pretty much ground everything to a stop, but after it moved on to the next episode, it had its legs back and really did the job.

The stand alone episode was set-up for future seasons. Not as good as the rest of the episodes but necessary.

Edited by ExpandMyMind