Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What kind of person are you?

XenoFish

How about you answer your questions first.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What kind of person are you because of your beliefs? 

I have progressively become a better and more grounded person because of my beliefs.

How does your beliefs affect your lives?

It doesn't change much, just my view of things.

Have they made life better? Worse?

Definite improvement. I don't take much as serious as I used to. Nor am I held up to some unobtainable standard.

Your turn.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Just a human being on the spectrum. Principally non-violent, friendly, sociable and generous to a point. I am also fully aware that I am only like this because of my privilege and position.

It has freed me. I feel no guilt about who I am or what purpose I serve. This doesn't mean I don't have questions or seek answers, I am just acceptant that I'll never know the 'truth' as it is beyond the limits of humans to know.

I can't answer this. Sometimes I wonder if the comfort taken by those with blind faith is desirable. Ignorance really can be bliss...but it's also ignorance. What I can tell you for sure is, whether you have faith or not, your mental health is separate to those beliefs and the most important factor in leading a happy life.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of the time in the section. Threads often end up in a war between belief and disbelief. I want to turn this on it's head with a few questions. I do not intend for this do devolve into a flame war between believers and nonbelievers, but to ask a few honest questions.

I don't consider positive thinking a belief - it's a focus, just as dwelling on negativity is.  I have a positive mindset.  If you ask those that know me what kind of person I am the most common description would be caring.

Having a positive mindset affects my life profoundly for the better!  I am able to turn negatives around, i.e. find a positive direction from them now - it may be something small but it is sufficient to prevent needless misery/prolonged suffering.

Answered above

This goes to both the atheist and theist (even pantheist) out there.

• Like 3

I think my beliefs make a positive impact upon me. I try to think as life as only one as stations along the cosmic journey. I also think about the principle of Karma alot, or in the words of the Bible "you shall reap as you soweth" or something like that. Not too much in Bible so probably it is not a correct phrase but the sense is I think recognizable. I think my beliefs also make me more curious because they are opened to any sort of investigation.. don't know what else to say. It is inspirational in some strange way but I can't describe it with words so easily.

I make statues of mythological creatures.

I have to pay for the clay to make statues. But it is fun. So better.

+++++

Excellent topic by the way :tu:

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 3

Though this topic at first sight doesnt have a "vs" nature I would like it to stay on this section of the forum. It is interesting this way.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Though this topic at first sight doesnt have a "vs" nature I would like it to stay on this section of the forum. It is interesting this way.

The point of this thread is for those who wish to reply to really ask themselves those questions. Our beliefs affect how we perceive things. So depending on the belief what effect does it have on you and your life.

In a way you can ask yourself, "Is this good for me?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

The point of this thread is for those who wish to reply to really ask themselves those questions. Our beliefs affect how we perceive things. So depending on the belief what effect does it have on you and your life.

In a way you can ask yourself, "Is this good for me?"

Sounds fine.

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of the time in the section. Threads often end up in a war between belief and disbelief. I want to turn this on it's head with a few questions. I do not intend for this do devolve into a flame war between believers and nonbelievers, but to ask a few honest questions.

Maybe a more difficult question than it seems on the surface.  I guess I'd call myself a theist, though I'm not completely familiar with the term except in the most basic sense.  The problem with answering the question "what kind of person are you" is.....in comparison to what?  Everybody else?  Now I've got a subjective value judgment to make. 

No insult, I'm sure you mean the questions in a straightforward manner, and I'm probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.  I'd say, well as people go, I'm pretty good.....but serial killers are people so.....yeah....in comparison to a serial killer - I'm an angel.  People can be alot of things, and I do respect the notion of self-reflection and mindfulness....these are positive.

To be as direct as possible......I'm the kind of person who believes in leaving this place better than I found it.  Have my beliefs affected my life for better or worse?  I don't really know, and I don't even really know what I believe.  I do believe that life sucks - but can also be quite incredible at times..

So....I guess that's a long winded way of saying, I have no clue.  But I'm not clueless.  Oh shizer - I'll just be quiet now.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guyver said:

To be as direct as possible......I'm the kind of person who believes in leaving this place better than I found it.

:tu:

1 hour ago, sees said:

don't consider positive thinking a belief - it's a focus, just as dwelling on negativity is. 

Yes. I would agree with this. My belief also makes me feel more connected to Cosmos as i consider everything in it as alive (though on a different level of counsciousness). And everything is consciousness, only on different levels (vibrations) so to speak. This gives me a sense of Devotion.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Guyver said:

The problem with answering the question "what kind of person are you" is.....in comparison to what?  Everybody else?  Now I've got a subjective value judgment to make. 

What kind of person are you because of them? Perhaps I should've worded it better. Fault may be on me with that one. 

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I am a more compassionate person, I tend to want to see good in everyone.  

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I draw strength from my belief to deal with all that happens in my life.  Self realization that we are all mortal and this life will end.

My faith has made my life better, it has filled an emptiness which I carried with me for many years.  

• Like 5

What kind of person are you because of your beliefs?   > I  I am definitely NOT the religious type, I don't believe in god or the devil( most of the time), but I do not force my beliefs or lack thereof on anyone else.

How does your beliefs affect your lives?   >'  my life could be better... a whole lot better, but I don't believe that has anything too do with my beliefs.

Have they made life better? Worse? >   I really can't answer this one I have never been able to step into some ones life and live that life for a time to see what the difference is.

This goes to both the atheist and theist (even pantheist) out there.> I believe that there has to be something out there beyond what I know, but  what???? most likely we are all nothing more than the 'kibbles and bits' or 'cat chow'  of some other reality.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

There are so many ways I could answer this.

I will go for the most basic. 

I believe in my self, and in humanity.

I think these two things go together.

Because  i believe in myself and like my self, it s easier to  believe in all humans and to like them,  given that  we are all much the same.

This has made me optimistic, forward looking, positive and trusting. It means that  I LIKE who I am, and i like almost every person I meet in life. I speak to a dozen new people everyday, (generally down the street now that i am no longer working) and strike up a conversation with them about something, because i like, trust, and find them interesting  No one has EVER been rude, abrupt, or unpleasant.   

They have meant my life has been extremely happy, content, "successful"  etc 

They (belief in self and humanity)  have meant that I believe I can do anything i want to do, and can change the world in significant ways.  And because i believed, I did

I can't judge what my life might have been like without these beliefs, because i have had them since infancy  However, i do not know of any ways in which my life might be  have been any  significantly better, or improved, form what it has been, so i suspect they have made  it better

• Like 1

I guess you wouldn't call it a staunch belief. It's more of a hope, really...or a feeling, that there's more than this.

I think it does comfort me to think of neverending light and all of us being a part of it at some point.

Even if that just makes my death experience less traumatic, it's a win. 

As for guiding my life, I think the Golden Rule is a great guiding principle, and could still be divinely inspired regardless of whether or not the Christ figure is an archetype. 

• Like 6

Pretty calm. I don't react to things emotionally, and do everything I can to minimize how much my feelings influence my day to day life.

I don't jump to conclusions. I don't believe stuff unless it can be proven. I don't apply sentimentality to material things, and rarely even to people. I don't grow attached to ideas or concepts. I do not see our lives or our very existences as notable or special in any way, which allows me to enjoy my existence that much more.

Better. It's a lot of emotional effort to care about everything and everyone around you, to give weight to the opinions of others, to grow attached to things and ideas. It's much easier to simply...not. I have limited amount of ****s to give, and now I can allocate them to the few things I do care about, rather than wasting cycles on things that I do not.

• Like 4

On 07/11/2017 at 9:00 PM, XenoFish said:

Although reared in a religion I rarely attend church. I'm a Christian who believes in 'doing unto others as I would like them to do unto me'. 

They have educated my conscience and equipped me with a moral compass.

In my case I think they have made my life better on the whole.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 4:00 PM, XenoFish said:

• Like 2

On 08/11/2017 at 10:00 AM, XenoFish said:

I Am Kind. What are you?

My Thoughts affect my Life. What about you?

Yes. And you?

There is No Better or Worse or Rather The  Better or Worse is Our Self..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriOra said:

My Thoughts affect my Life. What about you?

Yes. Very good point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

A pessimist is a man who looks at the world with one eye closed. An optimist is a man who looks at the world with both eyes closed.

I Love That... Keep Shining a Light... Truth seeker. .