Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Your Opinion on Refurbished Computers?

rodentraiser

Yeah, I bought one. So I guess I'll have an opinion on it fairly soon, but I'd be interested in hearing from others.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Yeah, I bought one. So I guess I'll have an opinion on it fairly soon, but I'd be interested in hearing from others.

Ive had good luck with them. I bough a refurbished Toshiba laptop in 2005 that lasted me until 2013 , i had to throw in a new OS towards the end but that was it. I currently have a , um , a laptop made by someone who I cant think of at the moment, which was bought refurbished through Walmart's website and its been going strong since 2012ish. I want to say its a Lenovo it mostly gets used for streaming sports to the TV in my living room at this point. 

• Like 3

It's impossible to say really.

You could buy a new machine and have a component fail after a few months, or it may last a decade without a single problem.

With "refurbished" machines, you'd need a rough idea how old it is and how much use it's had. Has it had any components replaced, or did it basically have the dust blown off and the OS reinstalled? Even then, it's pretty much guesswork.

Best advice I can offer is the same for new or old... always back up your data! B)

• Like 1

It depends.  An old computer of mine that was several years old is still going strong for my niece after I gave it to her, but new hardware has come in back for me sometimes.  You may want to get a backup power supply since that bit of hardware is the most likely to break if it's old.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wickian said:

It depends.  An old computer of mine that was several years old is still going strong for my niece after I gave it to her, but new hardware has come in back for me sometimes.  You may want to get a backup power supply since that bit of hardware is the most likely to break if it's old.

Ooooh if you do get one buy it on Amazon. I had to replace the one for my Toshiba a couple of times and they were expensive at the local stores but only like 2.50 on Amazon 

• Like 2

Haven't used anything 'new' since the days of the Duo Cores ... still am using a Pentium D on a Intel 945G board and chipset, but then again I hardly do anything other than text and Net related on it, movies a bit of music format fiddly diddly is about all ...

Serves my needs more than enough ...

~

• Like 1

If possible try it before buying, so far I´ve been lucky with used computer parts.
Also make sure it is capable of doing what you need otherwise you´ll be buying a brick

• Like 1

Well, my old computer is 12 years old now and running XP. XP isn't the problem, but because of it, I can't get the latest updates to my browser anymore and without the updates, I can't even view a lot of web sites anymore. I can't even get Skype. It's very irritating.

It's also running at dial up speed, which is mostly caused by lack of memory, I think. I almost have none left. So I made sure I had plenty of memory with this new computer. My old one had 2 GB of memory, the new one will have 16 and a processing speed of 3.2. It also has a year's warranty, so that made me feel a little better.

I wouldn't have gotten a refurbished one, but I had to stay under $300 (I did spend a bit more than that, though) and I couldn't find anything for that price that I liked.

You guys are making me feel much better about buying refurnished, though. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The best advice regarding buying refurbished electronics might be to make sure you get a decent warranty (1-2 years).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The best advice regarding buying refurbished electronics might be to make sure you get a decent warranty (1-2 years).

Wow .. that's a good deal right there ... refurbished mostly means 3 months warranty at the most here in Malaysia ...

~

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Wow .. that's a good deal right there ... refurbished mostly means 3 months warranty at the most here in Malaysia ...

~

My laptop came with 1 year as standard but I had to option for up to 3 with an extra payment.

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

My laptop came with 1 year as standard but I had to option for up to 3 with an extra payment.

Ahhh laptops ... that's different then ... yeah ... laptops warranties comes up to around that ... :tu:

~

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Ahhh laptops ... that's different then ... yeah ... laptops warranties comes up to around that ... :tu:

~

I think it extends to most refurbished electronics but it depends on where you shop.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought plenty refurbished electronics for very cheap, HP laptops, Playstation Portables and Nintendo Dses, never had any problem with it. Although, sometimes you need to be sure while you buy a new laptop is to check if under the battery there's a refurbished sticker. I've seen many vendors trying to sell refurbished computers as new ones.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:19 PM, rodentraiser said:

We have an outfit here in town called Free Geek.  They take donations of old computers printers etc.  They part them out and rebuild them.  Some they give away to schools and kid's clubs and some they sell pretty cheaply.  They do the labor with volunteers and a few interns that they teach and pay a little bit.  They use Linux and public domain shareware to put the system together.  We have bought a couple for friend's kids.  They seem to work pretty well.  You may find an outfit of similar type where you live.  

I would saya refurbished machine is a good bet unless you are a gamer that needs an up to date power system.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

I've had my computer for a while and aside from the fact that it has Windows 10 (why why WHY couldn't they have just kept XP and yeah, there was a bit of a learning curve here), it's a pretty good computer. I'm using Pale Moon as a browser and the only time I have to go to Edge is when I'm checking email. For some reason, Pale Moon doesn't like Yahoo email.

I do have one teeny tiny complaint. The sound on videos and movies is just too low. I have it turned all the way up every place I can find it and it's still too low. It has to be something in the computer because I was using the same headphones on my old computer and they were just fine. In fact, if you didn't keep the sound turned down somewhat with the old computer, you'd blast your eardrums out. So I don't know what to do about this and it definitely is a problem. I'm an old rock and roller, so when I listen to my music, it has to be LOUD!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I do have one teeny tiny complaint. The sound on videos and movies is just too low. I have it turned all the way up every place I can find it and it's still too low. It has to be something in the computer because I was using the same headphones on my old computer and they were just fine. In fact, if you didn't keep the sound turned down somewhat with the old computer, you'd blast your eardrums out. So I don't know what to do about this and it definitely is a problem. I'm an old rock and roller, so when I listen to my music, it has to be LOUD!

What kind of headphones? Does this only affect the speakers ? Have a peek at the volume controls ...

Check the jacks on  the puter ... twiddle or twist turn it (turn the volume down first)

Check for software / apps that comes with the sound card ... media controller ... there is three different controls : Master - Wave - Synth ( Master controls both Wave and Synth ... Wave just means sound and Synth just means Software specific formats like Midi )

Check for specific settings that might not be compatible with the sound card / headphone capabilities ... like Dolby or Surround Sound 5.1 etc etc if you are just on a basic Stereo set up ... 

Check if the media player (the Apps used for playing the media be it video or songs) is set up right for Output ... eg: if you have it on HDMI Sound ...

~

Added : Are you on a laptop ? Check the Fn keys that controls volume on the Keyboard (Hardware part)

Good Luck ~

Edited by third_eye
addition

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be so long in replying here...I didn't think anyone would answer. My bad!

Anyhoo, in case you see this, I am on a desktop. The headphones are Plantronics (and they worked fine with my old computer). I don't have any speakers. Jacks are fine. It can't be the media I'm using to watch anything on because it happens on the computer's built in video, VLC, and Youtube. And I don't have a clue in the world how to check these things:

On 12/21/2017 at 1:50 AM, third_eye said:

Check for software / apps that comes with the sound card ... media controller ... there is three different controls : Master - Wave - Synth ( Master controls both Wave and Synth ... Wave just means sound and Synth just means Software specific formats like Midi )

Check for specific settings that might not be compatible with the sound card / headphone capabilities ... like Dolby or Surround Sound 5.1 etc etc if you are just on a basic Stereo set up ... 

But thank you for answering!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodentraiser said:

But thank you for answering!

Most welcome ...

~

1 minute ago, rodentraiser said:

Anyhoo, in case you see this, I am on a desktop. The headphones are Plantronics (and they worked fine with my old computer). I don't have any speakers. Jacks are fine. It can't be the media I'm using to watch anything on because it happens on the computer's built in video, VLC, and Youtube. And I don't have a clue in the world how to check these things:

Let's concentrate on VLC ...

Take a look at the [Menu - Audio - Audio Device] ~ note the available options there ...

Then find [Menu - Tools - Preferences] locate 'Dolby Surround' and note the 'headphone surround effect' option

If you did fiddle with the settings and don't remember the what or where, normally there is a VLC 'Reset Preferences and Cache Files] from the Start Menu/Program, try that if it comes down to it. If that still won't solve anything then its on to the Device Manager.

The OS comes with it own 'mixer' depending on the version you are using it is normally found in the control panel ... that's where the main control is, all the apps normally runs behind the limits set in that mixer, unless of course the App has full 'Administrator' rights which gives the App full control but best to check the Default mixer just in case.

If the Default Mixer has options but is unavailable it will mean that its not running 'Native' meaning its not fully installed right and its running on 'Generic' drivers, just a fancy way of saying its not fully operational, if that's the case then a proper installation of the SOund Device Drivers might be in order

One thing about youtube is that one can't rely on the audio levels and fidelity unless its from those dedicated label channels ... even then the sound bitrate is less than top notch, HD or no ...

Good luck ....

~

Hmm. For Dolby surround on VLC it's set on AUTO. My other choices are ON and OFF. I can also check the box that says Headphone Surround Effect (it's currently unchecked). I'm probably being a little dense, but what does any of this have to do with the volume?

I'm currently using Microsoft 10 as an OS (may it be forever cursed). On my old computer, I knew every dot and dash on it but with this one, I can't make heads or tails out of most of it.

There is no control panel anymore. There is Settings. Settings has something called Apps, which seems to list all the programs I have, sort of like the old Add/Delete Programs that used to be on XP. As far as I know, I don't have any apps downloaded except what came with the computer. I have no idea what a default mixer is or even where to find it and I've been all through everything I've got here. Everything I've got for volume and headphones say RealTek High Definition and that was on XP as well.

So...maybe I will just bring the computer into the local computer store here.

Thanks for trying, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

Hmm. For Dolby surround on VLC it's set on AUTO. My other choices are ON and OFF. I can also check the box that says Headphone Surround Effect (it's currently unchecked). I'm probably being a little dense, but what does any of this have to do with the volume?

Hiya ... nahhhh nothing to do with dense or not, it depends on the media and the sound set up. It is very confusing what with the different standards of capability with hardware and software all having different approaches with 'solutions'

Volumes are defined by channels, so if the processing is for 5.1 it means you have 3.1 channels without an outlet (speaker) so the sound sounds missing something

For some headphones the effects are software manipulated as opposed to hardware Dolby, Dolby ready just means it is ready for Dolby experience when attached to a Dolby certified receiver/amp

VLC uses software Dolby plugins if I'm not wrong ... the problem also starts when a signal is processed twice, unlike a car with double powered brakes its more like a car with two separate set of brakes, it won't feel ... sound right

~

Dolby Digital 5.1: The Standard for Digital Sound - Dolby Laboratories

A Global Standard. Every DVD worldwide and all HD broadcasts in the United States use Dolby Digital® (also known as AC-3). Dolby Digital 5.1 has evolved into Dolby Digital Plus™, delivering up to 7.1 channels of surround sound in devices ranging from TVs to mobile phones.
DVD data rate, 5.1-channel audio‎: ‎384 or 448 ...
Channels‎: ‎1.0 to 5.1, discrete
Blu-ray Disc data rate, 5.1-channel audio‎: ‎640 ...
~

Dolby Digital Plus is an advanced surround sound audio technology that enables the Dolby Audio experience across home theaters, smartphones, operating systems, and browsers. ... Based on core Dolby® Digital technologies, the established standard for cinema, broadcast, and home ...

~

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm currently using Microsoft 10 as an OS (may it be forever cursed). On my old computer, I knew every dot and dash on it but with this one, I can't make heads or tails out of most of it.

~

Ahhhh this is where you should start ...

Get the old Windows volume mixer back in Windows 10 - CNET

Aug 24, 2015 - It's a minor detail, but if you want your vertical volume mixer back in Windows 10, here's how to do it.

~

Adjust volume for individual programs in Windows 10

www.thewindowsclub.com/adjust-volume-for-individual-programs-windows

Jan 20, 2016 - adjust volume for individual programs 10. You will see the change taking effect immediately. Now, when you click the speaker icon in the system tray, the old sound volume slider will appear, with the Mixer button in the bottom area. old-volume-windows-10. Go ahead and adjust the volume for individual ...

~

~

[00.05:55]

~

RealTek High Definition Audio Drivers Version depends on the motherboard ... and needs some tinkering to get it running proper on Win10, find someone who knows the bends and bents of Windows Drivers installation if you are unsure ...

~

Windows 10 Reinstall Flawed Realtek High Definition Audio Driver ...

Aug 24, 2015 - 6 posts - ‎5 authors
When I upgraded to Windows 10, Realtek High Definition Audio Driver has been giving problems. In the middle of playing video or Mp3 the sound suddenly vanishes. ... When I uninstall the program hoping that Windows 10 native drivers will function instead of the bugged Realtek High Definition Audio Driver.
Feb 20, 2015 - 7 posts - ‎5 authors

The new autoupdate feature in Windows 10 led to automatic installation of RealTek audio driver. ... Uninstalled Realtek driver via devmgmt.msc (RealTek High Definition Audio Device and everything with Realtek keyword under Audio inputs and ... What do I do to revert to using native Microsoft drivers?

~

Feb 3, 2015 - 10 posts • Page 1 of 1 ... somebody raised the question whether there was a native ASIO driver for Windows Laptops/Notebooks that use Realtek HD Audio Codecs under Windows. ... So if you are one of those people you may (or may not) find this Realtek developed, albeit unsupported, native driver useful.

~

Install both Nvidia Audio and Realtek driver? - [Solved] - Windows ...

www.tomshardware.com › Forum › Windows 10
May 23, 2016 - 2 posts - ‎2 authors

After researching a bit online, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what to do with these two drivers. I've seen...1. arguments over which audio is better.2. people claming Nvidia Audio driver is...

~

Realtek Audio Driver Update - Windows 10 - Tom's Hardware

www.tomshardware.com › Forum › Windows 10
May 2, 2017 - 7 posts - ‎4 authors

Hello how long would Realtek Audio Drive update installation take to finish?mine is still installing and it seams like it will take forever. Should I ... it should take 2 minutes max... its just a driver update and maybe the HD Audio manager. how long has yours been going as any longer means its not doing a lot.

~

I recommend Tom's Hardware to start it all off ...

Good Luck ...

~

• Like 2

I'm going to look into all that! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it all - that was really nice of you!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm going to look into all that! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it all - that was really nice of you!

No worries and most welcome ...

~