Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian scientists take aim at paranormal TV

Still Waters

A group of Russian researchers have decided to call out TV shows about clairvoyants for promoting fake science.

The group, led by scientist Alexander Panchin and sceptic Mikhail Lidin, say they will use the latter's YouTube channel to "show viewers why they shouldn't believe everything they see on their TV screens," Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper reports.

They are the people behind Russia's Harry Houdini Prize, which regularly invites the stars of psychic shows to replicate their feats under controlled conditions for a prize of one million roubles ($17,000; £13,000).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-41917018

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The group, led by scientist Alexander Panchin and sceptic Mikhail Lidin, say they will use the latter's YouTube channel to "show viewers why they shouldn't believe everything they see on their TV screens," Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper reports.

Sounds like the Russian version of James Randi and Michael Schurmer. People like those two have made my belief in the paranormal actually stronger by seeing what little they have to offer in attack versus the evidence in favor of the paranormal.

Edited by papageorge1

Brah. i live next to russia and get a lot of their television, those shows are totally scripted, my mom has a old collage friend that works on one of those shows, "extrasensi kak detectivi" i believe, if i pulled some strings i could have next seasons script on reddit by noon, but i'm pretty sure that everyone in Russia already knows they're scripted... it's just a good script, weary entertaining... just like reality TV, those scientists are out of the loop if they think that the people watching those shows think they're real
p.s. i typed the name using the Latin alphabet so the name might sound a bit off

Edited by _KB_
WHY DOES THE NORMAL WEBSITE (not the forum) KEEP SHORTENING MY POSTS WHEN USE QUOTES???
  • Like 3

Well who saw this coming?

• Like 2

On 11/9/2017 at 5:48 PM, papageorge1 said:

Sounds like the Russian version of James Randi and Michael Schurmer. People like those two have made my belief in the paranormal actually stronger by seeing what little they have to offer in attack versus the evidence in favor of the paranormal.

LOL what are you on about? They all failed.....even Uri, badly.

Evening papa. :tu:

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

LOL what are you on about? They all failed.....even Uri, badly.

Evening papa. :tu:

Ah, you're here to antagonize without content, says something about maturity and confidence levels........carry on, dude

Hmm? It's not really antagonizing...merely just stating that the studies done on psychics soundly disproved their abilities.

It's not like you provided some irrefutable evidence for the existence of this phenomena in your initial 'antagonization'.

• Like 3

Hello? It's 2017. Are they trying to tell us that all these decades they haven't been able to figure this out, and now, after all this time, this is what they need for the final verdict? HAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Ah, you're here to antagonize without content, says something about maturity and confidence levels........carry on, dude

Dude?   Freetoroam is a female...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, seeder said:

Dude?   Freetoroam is a female...

I actually knew that. I like known cliche phrases that roll.

dudette?? Just doesn’t roll.

7 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

"Dude" is often genderless these days, like "guys".

Uh-huh. And "man" as well. O tempora, o mores!

Me thinks that there are a lot of "con artists" out there.

I also think that there is "some" psychic phenomena which is very real.

Just my opinion based on the substantiated oddities of the underlying quantum physics of Reality.

• Like 1

I agree with pallidin, although most of so called psychics, precogs(precognition/precognisists?lol)etc are charlatans or con artists, i believe there is plenty of evidence of unexplained(for now) phenomena, the c.i.a's stargate project amongst others including
other major governments own programmes and projects proves it is not a subject you can just simply dismiss as ALL nonsense, even now there are plenty of still classified documents relating to american and uk projects and research on these subjects.

• Like 1

Maybe the Russians need to get the author that keeps predicting another stock market crash.  He's only been doing it for the last 3 - 4 years.  He has to be right eventually.  Even Jean Dixon got on right every once in a while.  You throw out enough $h!t against a wall, sooner or later some sticks.

Edited by paperdyer
fixed grammar
  • Like 1

Declassified CIA documents that can be seen at CIA.gov (the .gov means it's a government website, in case anyone didn't know) show Uri Geller successfully demonstrated remote viewing abilities on multiple occasions, although he did fail occasionally, especially when dealing with a skeptic that he had hostilities towards. The .pdf can be found at https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00791R000100480003-3.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the CIA also have files on UFOS saying if anyone saw unexplained craft (thats most likely American) to label it a UFO To divert attention?  If that' the case how can we believe that document when they most likely where just playing mind games with the Russians durig the cold war.