Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
aghost

Should U.S. Bring Back Psychiatric Asylums?

31 posts in this topic

The problem with that is they were always underfunded and then ended up being insufferable ****holes. 

You think it's gonna be better at this point in time?

I think it could possibly be worse. 

Edited by ChaosRose

There used to be a very large one in Traverse City Michigan which started up in the mid to late 1800's....which had some pretty brutal and questionablele "treatments" in the early days....and later, an over reliance on DRUGS to "control" the patients.

After it was built and staffed....for, much of it's existence it had it's own Large farm,worked almost entirely by the patients,which provided most of the food for the place ....the patients did everything from cooking to cleaning,shoe repair to black smithing, clothes making, maintenance chores ,etc.etc.etc..generally doing everything to provide for themselves. They also produced their own electricity with coal fired steam generators, it was a glowing success for over a hundred years.... Then they got modern and it began to fail.

my Ma worked there for 18 years...my sister for 26 years...until it closed and many many of the patients ended up either homeless,or in the new group homes which sprang up to try to fill the desperate need.

anyway, yes something is needed....not sure what the models should be.......

2 people like this

We do already have both short and long-term psychiatric facilities.

Not nearly as many as in the past, though, as they are generally State funded, and state funds are in short supply.

What bothers me the most about the facilities is the high degree in potential of physical, mental, pharmaceutical and sexual abuse by staff towards patients. It's horrible.

We also see this in some minor and senior care facilities across the country (and world)

I think some of the staff in those facilities are sadistic perverts.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:29 PM, Gingitsune said:

These people with mental health will probably end up in prison one way or another, might as well diagnose them properly and use prison money to finance asylums.

I have bipolar disorder, and this statement is very offensive and frustrating. Also, the disparaging of meds is preposterous- without them I and people like me wouldn't survive. Mental health disorders are biological in nature, and should be treated with the same compassion and support as any other disease. 

2 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

I have bipolar disorder, and this statement is very offensive and frustrating. Also, the disparaging of meds is preposterous- without them I and people like me wouldn't survive. Mental health disorders are biological in nature, and should be treated with the same compassion and support as any other disease. 

I had a specific case in mind, where the man was working fine on pills, but not much at times when he decided he didn't need them. Twice he assaulted people then, on the third time, murdered an elderly woman. I should have mentioned it, I guess. He didn't need to be locked up, just to have access to a nurse to manage the pills. Well, now he's locked up, until he serve his time, then back on his own until the day he decide he doesn't need pill anymore...

As for how this kind of situation can be dealt with,  there is a condominium a few street away from my house. There are 80 apartments in there, of which 30 are reserved for people with skull trauma.  There's a nurse on the first floor, where those in wheelchairs live, who manage these kind stuff for the co-owners with special need. It's private and run like any other condominium.