Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Five Britons who make up the King Arthur myth

6 posts in this topic

King Arthur is probably the best known of all British mythological figures. He is a character from deep time celebrated across the world in literature, art and film as a doomed hero, energetically fighting the forces of evil. Most historians believe that the prototype for Arthur was a warlord living in the ruins of post-Roman Britain, but few can today agree on precisely who that was.

Over the centuries, the legend of King Arthur has been endlessly rewritten and reshaped. New layers have been added to the tale.

https://theconversation.com/here-are-the-five-ancient-britons-who-make-up-the-myth-of-king-arthur-86874

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Over the centuries, the legend of King Arthur has been endlessly rewritten and reshaped.

That Prince Arthur is so very charming in the Netflix series Merlin certainly 

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcTPArndWsFqiFZOM6tnWbYIvrEcEqX7aeY-aywoqFGVkiYwl_I-&sp=0f6f8b2a19d6d1ae696f67959e385aef&anticache=959079serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcQttc7TI-3sKpYx8BPm80THecFSSAft5H0NE4f2FwjF2yHReYt1&sp=afc6d938e964003daffd0c34863255cf&anticache=307214serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSft7kitVX8xn_zKTbsFxfeUiCr36aj3uilyuOHTxF2mOqpa1Cd&sp=434a4e0d168e6b109c39f6366ea50f7f&anticache=917208

must have factored into its five seasons and spin-offs' now being planned.

  • must have factored into its five seasons and spin-offs' now being planned.
Edited by aka CAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious that the linked article makes no mention of another historical character by the name of Riotimus (there are variable spellings). He's mentioned by the 6th century historian Jordanes as a King of the Brittones in the last decade of the existence of the Western Roman Empire, fighting for the Emperor Anthemius against the Visigothic King Eurich in Gaul/France.

It's generally (though not universally) accepted that Riotimus came from what's now Brittany. This land had been settled in the preceding generation by Romano-British people fleeing the Saxons attacking post-Roman Britain. But it seems reasonable to me that stories of Arthur's campaigns in Gaul/France in Geoffrey of Monmouth's "Historia Regum Britanniae" may well be based on accounts of Riotimus's historical exploits.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.11.2017 at 10:38 PM, aka CAT said:

That Prince Arthur is so very charming in the Netflix series Merlin certainly 

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcTPArndWsFqiFZOM6tnWbYIvrEcEqX7aeY-aywoqFGVkiYwl_I-&sp=0f6f8b2a19d6d1ae696f67959e385aef&anticache=959079serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcQttc7TI-3sKpYx8BPm80THecFSSAft5H0NE4f2FwjF2yHReYt1&sp=afc6d938e964003daffd0c34863255cf&anticache=307214serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcSft7kitVX8xn_zKTbsFxfeUiCr36aj3uilyuOHTxF2mOqpa1Cd&sp=434a4e0d168e6b109c39f6366ea50f7f&anticache=917208

must have factored into its five seasons and spin-offs' now being planned.

  • must have factored into its five seasons and spin-offs' now being planned.

And this has been rewritten and reshaped so much, that is has almost nothing to do with the original legend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FLOMBIE said:

And this has been rewritten and reshaped so much, that is has almost nothing to do with the original legend. 

Of course; else, "the King Arthur myth" wouldn't appear in the title of this thread.  I like its being suitable for family viewing.

Edited by aka CAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aka CAT said:

Of course; else, "the King Arthur myth" wouldn't appear in the title of this thread.  I like its being suitable for family viewing.

I'd prefer it to be an original format, and not only carry the character's name for appeal.

Call it myth or legend, it's the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.