Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
alfa015

How Do You Think We Can Get To Proxima B?

100 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

alfa015

Soo.. the other day I read that the Alpha Centauri system might have several exoplanets apart from Proxima b.. so I looked for info about the Starshot project and found out that the team launched in July a 3.5 x 3.5cm satellite weighing 4 grams.. this encourages me to believe that the project can actually be achievable.. what do you guys think? do you think that a faster interstellar travel system will be developed even sooner?

I decided to make a video on this exciting topic and I would like to share it with you guys: https://youtu.be/jF2juqeDa-E

I honestly can't wait 44 years for receiving the first images of Proxima b, I would be 70 years old. There must be another way of getting there sooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

Mars is the next realistic destination, space travel is dangerous and very costly. What benefits are there in sending man to Proxima?  Space travel has ALWAYS been done with probes first

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
24 minutes ago, alfa015 said:

do you think that a faster interstellar travel system will be developed even sooner?

no

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy

I don't believe that it will be possible to make those micro spacecrafts that they are talking about. I just don't see how you can pack sensors, powersystems, communications and radiation protection into something that small. 

Fusion seems like the most viable way to go. Sadly we can't make fusion work yet, but I remain optimistic that we will crack it.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

 


and in that link near the bottom it states:

Quote

Reaching Proxima b in our lifetimes would be incredibly difficult. Decades of research and development need to be completed before we could launch, and then decades of travel time would follow, and then another four years of waiting to get a signal or photo back from the spacecraft once it arrives.

 

 

 

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
17 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I don't believe that it will be possible to make those micro spacecrafts that they are talking about. I just don't see how you can pack sensors, powersystems, communications and radiation protection into something that small. 

Fusion seems like the most viable way to go. Sadly we can't make fusion work yet, but I remain optimistic that we will crack it.

I think we really need to master time travel. What could take years could take minutes. And I'm not talking about any Doctor Who type of stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
On 11/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, XenoFish said:

I think we really need to master time travel. What could take years could take minutes. And I'm not talking about any Doctor Who type of stuff. 

If you are not talking Dr Who stuff...then what are you talking about?  There is no such thing as time travel because there is no such thing as time.  Only as a measurement.

 Proxima B is 25 trillion miles away.   

Consider that Voyager 1 has been traveling for 40 years and is 11 billion miles away.  

The only way we could ever reach Proxima B would be to travel at the speed of light...and then we could reach it in 4.2 years.

But we can not travel at the speed of light...except in sci-fi television....so...it ain't gonna happen....

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
19 minutes ago, joc said:

If you are not talking Dr Who stuff...then what are you talking about?  There is no such thing as time travel because there is no such thing as time.  Only as a measurement.

 Proxima B is 25 trillion miles away.   

Consider that Voyager 1 has been traveling for 40 years and is 11 billion miles away.  

The only way we could ever reach Proxima B would be to travel at the speed of light...and then we could reach it in 4.2 years.

But we can not travel at the speed of light...except in sci-fi television....so...it ain't gonna happen....

 

What's the fastest way to get from point A to point B?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
17 minutes ago, joc said:

If you are not talking Dr Who stuff...then what are you talking about?  There is no such thing as time travel because there is no such thing as time.  Only as a measurement.

 Proxima B is 25 trillion miles away.   

Consider that Voyager 1 has been traveling for 40 years and is 11 billion miles away.  

The only way we could ever reach Proxima B would be to travel at the speed of light...and then we could reach it in 4.2 years.

But we can not travel at the speed of light...except in sci-fi television....so...it ain't gonna happen....

 

We don't have to travel at the speed of light to go to Proxima Centauri. We can go slower than that and still get there.

Sure it would be nice to be able to go at the speed of light, but its not neccesary. Going slower would present problems for a manned mission, but they could be overcome by various means. It will be less of a problem for unmanned probes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What's the fastest way to get from point A to point B?

The fastest way to get from point A to point B is to use the fastest vehicle available...time travel is not an option.

 

3 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We don't have to travel at the speed of light to go to Proxima Centauri. We can go slower than that and still get there.

Sure it would be nice to be able to go at the speed of light, but its not neccesary. Going slower would present problems for a manned mission, but they could be overcome by various means. It will be less of a problem for unmanned probes.

  The problem for unmanned probes is significant.  Nice to dream about but its never going to happen.  The reason...it is impossible.  Some things just are. We landed on the moon.  We dream about going to Mars.  That might happen but probably won't.  And you think we could travel 4 light years away....it is impossible...but go ahead and dream...that's what we do...but call it for what it is...fantasy.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, joc said:

The fastest way to get from point A to point B is to use the fastest vehicle available...time travel is not an option

How about folding space? Where point A and B are together. It wouldn't take any time to reach any place we'd every choose to go. Sure that kind of technology is well beyond our current pay grade, but if we were to figure it out successfully. Where would we stop? All those potential earthlike worlds. Even beyond that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
9 minutes ago, joc said:

  The problem for unmanned probes is significant.  Nice to dream about but its never going to happen.

How could you possibly know that ?

Quote

The reason...it is impossible.

I agree that we can't do it know, or in the near future, but there is no fundamental reason why it is impossible.

Quote

Some things just are. We landed on the moon.

Which some people said was impossible.

Quote

  We dream about going to Mars. 

Again there are no fundamental technical reasons why we can't go to Mars. There are however many financial and political reasons why we haven't done so.

Quote

That might happen but probably won't.  And you think we could travel 4 light years away

I don't know if we ever will travel to the stars, but as I said there are no fundamental reason why you should say that its impossible.

Quote

....it is impossible...but go ahead and dream...that's what we do...but call it for what it is...fantasy.

For now it is impossible and most likely will remain so in my lifetime, but I think it is wrong to say that it is impossible. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
24 minutes ago, joc said:

The problem for unmanned probes is significant.  Nice to dream about but its never going to happen.  The reason...it is impossible.  Some things just are. We landed on the moon.  We dream about going to Mars.  That might happen but probably won't.  And you think we could travel 4 light years away....it is impossible...but go ahead and dream...that's what we do...but call it for what it is...fantasy.

From 1874: 

"When I began my physical studies [in Munich in 1874] and sought advice from my venerable teacher Philipp von Jolly... he portrayed to me physics as a highly developed, almost fully matured science... Possibly in one or another nook there would perhaps be a dust particle or a small bubble to be examined and classified, but the system as a whole stood there fairly secured, and theoretical physics approached visibly that degree of perfection which, for example, geometry has had already for centuries." 
- from a 1924 lecture by Max Planck (Sci. Am, Feb 1996 p.10)

From 1888: 

"We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy." 
- Simon Newcomb, American astronomer.
Never going to happen and impossible are dangerous assumptions about future knowledge.
I don't think the OP is talking about manned missions, but autonomous probes.  They might need to get there a little faster and be a little bigger, but its certainly not impossible to span the distance.  Heck this year a football field sized piece of rock passed through our solar system from somewhere out there and bound for parts unknown.
Alpha015, you don't have to be patient, but still you are going to wait.  That doesn't mean you have to sit and do nothing.  You could lobby for research dollars to be spent, you could support projects, you could persuade others to share your dream.  You could have a hand in making this happen a little faster.
If we were a stable civilization, that might need to come first, we could invest in sending probes out and waiting a hundred or even two hundred years for results.  What an awesome gift for your great grand kids.  Somebody told me that the best time to plant a fruit tree is 20 years ago and the next best time is now.  Same with space probes I think.  But Alpha, we are also getting improved resolution on our electromagnetic observations.  You may get an inkling of an answer sooner than a physical probe can travel the distance.
1 hour ago, joc said:

There is no such thing as time travel because there is no such thing as time.  Only as a measurement.

Time is an integral part of spacetime and as such part of our understanding of relativity.  It is as real as the other dimensions.  So far, our understanding of the principle of causality precludes going backwards in time, but as long as we don't violate the speed of the propagation of light, we can go faster or slower forward in time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241
On 10/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, alfa015 said:

I honestly can't wait 44 years for receiving the first images of Proxima b, I would be 70 years old.

And I would be 114, so at least you have a chance to see those images.  I won’t! <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kartikg
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

How about folding space? Where point A and B are together. It wouldn't take any time to reach any place we'd every choose to go. Sure that kind of technology is well beyond our current pay grade, but if we were to figure it out successfully. Where would we stop? All those potential earthlike worlds. Even beyond that.

How would you fold space without destroying any matter? considering the space between A and B has stars what would happen to them, if empty what happens when you unfold the space? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Am I the only one who's heard of wormholes? I mean what I wrote is pure speculation. If you want humans to visit these places you need options. For the fastest flight you basically need to get there instantly. If we're going to talk long term, then we need to consider some form of suspended animation or generational ships. Even sophisticated robots that are controlled by a human brain through some weird science (cybernetics). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Guitar

My thought: If it doesn't happen in my lifetime (and it probably won't), I just don't give a rat's rear end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, alfa015 said:

Soo.. the other day I read that the Alpha Centauri system might have several exoplanets apart from Proxima b.. so I looked for info about the Starshot project and found out that the team launched in July a 3.5 x 3.5cm satellite weighing 4 grams.. this encourages me to believe that the project can actually be achievable.. what do you guys think? do you think that a faster interstellar travel system will be developed even sooner?

I decided to make a video on this exciting topic and I would like to share it with you guys: https://youtu.be/jF2juqeDa-E

I honestly can't wait 44 years for receiving the first images of Proxima b, I would be 70 years old. There must be another way of getting there sooner

 

Gravity is the only known force that has one pole. Yet when it comes to the speed galaxies are revolving at there is another explanation besides dark matter - gravity has two poles.

I predict we will discover that both attractive and repulsive gravity are emitted by objects. But that repulsive gravity dies off slightly faster than attractive gravity the further you move away from an object. Such that at microscopic distances gravity is weaker than what relativity predicts and stronger at larger distances.

One we can separate both poles from each other it will pave the way for intergalactic (never mind intersystem) travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fred_mc

I hope somebody will develop a space-time displacement drive that compresses space-time in front of the spacecraft and expands spacetime behind it. Then we will not have to care about the speed of light anymore, we will be able to travel much faster than the speed of light.

Edited by fred_mc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr.United_Nations
36 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

I hope somebody will develop a space-time displacement drive that compresses space-time in front of the spacecraft and expands spacetime behind it. Then we will not have to care about the speed of light anymore, we will be able to travel much faster than the speed of light.

How will it work? Its easy to say but to build a drive is another story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

How about folding space? Where point A and B are together. It wouldn't take any time to reach any place we'd every choose to go. Sure that kind of technology is well beyond our current pay grade, but if we were to figure it out successfully. Where would we stop? All those potential earthlike worlds. Even beyond that.

I kind of deal with reality.  I know about worm holes and folding space...I just don't buy any of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We don't have to travel at the speed of light to go to Proxima Centauri. We can go slower than that and still get there.

Sure it would be nice to be able to go at the speed of light, but its not neccesary. Going slower would present problems for a manned mission, but they could be overcome by various means. It will be less of a problem for unmanned probes.

Okay....how fast are we  going to travel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

How could you possibly know that ?

I agree that we can't do it know, or in the near future, but there is no fundamental reason why it is impossible.

Which some people said was impossible.

Again there are no fundamental technical reasons why we can't go to Mars. There are however many financial and political reasons why we haven't done so.

I don't know if we ever will travel to the stars, but as I said there are no fundamental reason why you should say that its impossible.

For now it is impossible and most likely will remain so in my lifetime, but I think it is wrong to say that it is impossible. 

I'm  speaking in terms of what is actually real....often referred to as...Reality.

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

 

I don't think the OP is talking about manned missions, but autonomous probes.  They might need to get there a little faster and be a little bigger, but its certainly not impossible to span the distance. 
 

Sure! Perhaps in 5000 years Voyager will get to proximal b.

Do you know how fast we can actually travel through space? Not theoretically but the actual fastest speed we have ever achieved?  It is awfully, awfully slow when speaking of star travel.

Edited by joc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

while I fully agree with many points here, Im just posting this


 

Quote

 

Juno Mission spacecraft will slingshot around Earth towards Jupiter, accelerating to 25 miles per second along the way and becoming the fastest man-made object in history.

It's fifty times faster than a speeding bullet.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/10/09/nasa-juno-spacecraft-to-become-fastest-man-made-object-as-it-slingshots-around.html


 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.