Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bit of help here?

Anonymous12321

Ok. So I was outside when I heard a whistling. Of all the whistling things I have read about here this one is a lot different. The other encounters have had a horrible high pitched whistling. The sound I heard was eerie but beautiful. It was almost like a flute. I whistled back. We whistled back a forth for a bit before I could not hear it anymore. After a little bit It happened again. It happened for a while until it just never came back. Got any explanations? I check the site every like half hour so I will most likely respond.

• Like 1

Birds, in general, will keep answering back to me as long as I'll try to imitate them,

whereas some birds, notably Mockingbirds, like to imitate sounds they hear, e.g.

our whistling for livestock at their feeding times. 

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 2

The reason I mentioned Mockingbirds is because any one of them can have a large and elaborate repertoire.

Perhaps you heard a flutist or a Mockingbird who is regularly within ear shot of a musician's practicing.

• Like 2

You really should start to record at least audio of this kind of stuff. Someone on here would probably be able to identify the culprit.

Even an older mobile phone would likely do the trick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anonymous12321 said:

My mom told me that but it sounded like a flute. kinda like this. Only a different tune.

Try some of the samples of Thrush song on this page and please let us know if you identify your avian serenader (samples at the bottom of the page).  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

Have you seen any of these birds around your home lately? https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/northeastern-woodland-bird-songs/

Edited by Merc14

29 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Try some of the samples of Thrush song on this page and please let us know if you identify your avian serenader (samples at the bottom of the page).  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

Have you seen any of these birds around your home lately? https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/northeastern-woodland-bird-songs/

Edited 19 minutes ago by Merc14

Thanks but the thing I heard was a LOT different then that. And I have not seen a bird like that around my area.

3 hours ago, Timonthy said:

You really should start to record at least audio of this kind of stuff. Someone on here would probably be able to identify the culprit.

Even an older mobile phone would likely do the trick.

I totally would because I hear it like every day. But I have no idea how I would get it on this computer.

16 minutes ago, Anonymous12321 said:

I totally would because I hear it like every day. But I have no idea how I would get it on this computer.

It is NOT a Bigfoot, that creature does not exist, it is almost definitely a bird but could be a frog as well.  Record it with your phone or iPad or whatever device you have and post and  mp3 here and we can help search out the source.  If you can narrow down your region like Northeast, southwest etc. it would help but isn't necessary.  

1 hour ago, Anonymous12321 said:

North America

Thanks. The suggestion of a mockingbird is quite good. These birds are often listened to by birders to learn what other birds are in the area.

If you get a recording you'd be amazed at how quickly a birder can identify the species. Even a rough imitation made to a birder can get you the species. See if there is a local bird club in the area. Someone might be interested in helping you out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stereologist said:

Thanks. The suggestion of a mockingbird is quite good. These birds are often listened to by birders to learn what other birds are in the area.

If you get a recording you'd be amazed at how quickly a birder can identify the species. Even a rough imitation made to a birder can get you the species. See if there is a local bird club in the area. Someone might be interested in helping you o

Thanks! Like I said it sounds EXACTLY like the flute except a different tune.

10 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Record it with your phone or iPad or whatever device you have

I have no idea how I would record something and get it on this computer.

8 minutes ago, Anonymous12321 said:

Thanks! Like I said it sounds EXACTLY like the flute except a different tune.

The tune is what is important. Different species sing different tunes.

13 hours ago, Anonymous12321 said:

North America

Can you narrow it down?

I'm not American but I've heard a Veery Thrushes full repertoire they can sound future like 

23 hours ago, AlterScape said:

Bigfoot has been known to whistle to attract mates. You must be attractive to bigfeet :) 

CFFC0CCD-314C-4E04-A4C0-A67D2BDBFB55.jpeg

Lol XD

2 hours ago, Agishe said:

Owls sometimes utter strange sounds

Well, there are a couple problems with that. I heard it in a swampy area with no trees. And it was almost noon when I heard it.