Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Happiness - a moral compass?

Crazy Horse

So last night I couldn't sleep, I was trying to figure out where my moral compass is? What exactly is my guiding light in this world of shadows! And I came to realise, for me at least, that my happiness is my Northern Star. 

For me there is nothing quite like this feeling of happiness to tell me whether or not I am on the right path. And it's immediate, intuitive even. There are other feelings that could be considered under the umbrella term of "unhappiness" which are also very helpful to me. How do I know whether I am on this straight and narrow path, because I sense it - it isn't so much an intellectual thing, although this can help as well.

My whole philosophy can seem convoluted to some folk and overly simplistic to others, but everyone knows what happiness feels like.

More and more folk are asking themselves, 'what is my life's purpose?' When in fact the answer could have been with you all along!

• Like 2

Happiness can well be an indicator of being in harmony with self e.g. our morals, being conscientious (not guilt ridden) but more so when it's achieved despite being in difficult situations. 

For someone spiritually inclined, being on the 'wrong path' would create a sense of unease which needs addressing, i.e. reflecting on and taking a direction on/a change.

It's relatively easy when life goes well for us but more remarkable to be at ease with self (e.g. content) despite life's more turbulent waves - so I think there's a difference here between commonly experienced happiness and inner happiness/content.  I have the latter.

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, sees said:

Happiness can well be an indicator of being in harmony with self e.g. our morals, being conscientious (not guilt ridden) but more so when it's achieved despite being in difficult situations. 

For someone spiritually inclined, being on the 'wrong path' would create a sense of unease which needs addressing, i.e. reflecting on and taking a direction on/a change.

It's relatively easy when life goes well for us but more remarkable to be at ease with self (e.g. content) despite life's more turbulent waves - so I think there's a difference here between commonly experienced happiness and inner happiness/content.  I have the latter.

Happiness in difficult situations is not something Ive thought about too much.

In times of real hardship, danger, etc, is might be inappropriate - or something - to be smiling like a madman! Lol

But we can be happy afterwards if we kept our cool, set a good example, maybe even inspired someone somehow!

But I don't feel that we should exclude those folk not on a spiritual path, anyone can feel this unease when they are about to make a bad choice.

When life goes well it is relatively easy, but this is what I am talking about! Sweeping away all the things that make us "unhappy" in the broadest sense. Leaving a greater feeling of fulfilment, contentment, and yes, a lasting inner peace.

• Like 2

The only thing that makes me unhappy is humans.  So ........ ;)  :w00t:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Essan said:

Actually this is very common in my experience too! Lol

But then I think why?

Why should I let other people unbalance me like that, spoiling my fun and happiness?

Non-judgement becomes a habit and happiness a state of mind.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Happiness in difficult situations is not something Ive thought about too much.

In times of real hardship, danger, etc, is might be inappropriate - or something - to be smiling like a madman! Lol

But we can be happy afterwards if we kept our cool, set a good example, maybe even inspired someone somehow!

But I don't feel that we should exclude those folk not on a spiritual path, anyone can feel this unease when they are about to make a bad choice.

When life goes well it is relatively easy, but this is what I am talking about! Sweeping away all the things that make us "unhappy" in the broadest sense. Leaving a greater feeling of fulfilment, contentment, and yes, a lasting inner peace.

Yes I agree this is a broader topic than to just talk about it spiritually.

What I meant by inner contentment despite life's turbulent waves is not to suggest that this is a time for happiness, but that the situation can be handled without being unduly ruffled (because of inner harmony/peace/contentment).   I find contentment more stable and ongoing than happiness which, by its nature, I would suggest is more of a peak and fleeting experience - not easily maintained for prolonged periods.

I think how we react and deal with what life sends our way is a better measure of happiness than our morals.  You can have great morals but be heartbroken/devastated by love.

Edited by sees
  • Like 2

And something else I've noticed.

Being happy I tend to eat less. I am sure that being happy, looking on the bright-side, being positive over-all, is a very healthy place to be!

And why wouldn't it be healthy? Happiness is a mental reward for good behaviour, why wouldn't your body be rewarded as well?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sees said:

Yes I agree this is a broader topic than to just talk about it spiritually.

What I meant by inner contentment despite life's turbulent waves is not to suggest that this is a time for happiness, but that the situation can be handled without being unduly ruffled (because of inner harmony/peace/contentment).   I find contentment more stable and ongoing than happiness which, by its nature, I would suggest is more of a peak and fleeting experience - not easily maintained for prolonged periods.

I think how we react and deal with what life sends our way is a better measure of happiness than our morals.  You can have great morals but be heartbroken/devastated by love.

I do agree.

Lasting happiness is a tough nut to crack but I do believe that it is possible.

The Hindus say 'Follow your Bliss'. Which can be seen in a secular light also. But I believe that happiness doesn't have to be over-the-top so to speak, but based more on an inner contentment, which as you point out helps us within those turbulent times. Happiness can be fleeting but I see no good reason why one couldn't be happy for great lengths of time either.

Maybe the question of morals is just me?

I am a simple guy, when I behave well I feel good - it is that simple. 

I would agree that 'doing the right thing' is more closely aligned to feelings of happiness....unless, of course, someone is a sadist!   :devil:  Ha!   (They are easily detected for what they are though)

Edited by sees

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Totally right. Today humans are the enemy of fellow human beings. It is a sorry state of affair that people are ready to kill one another for small things.Strange!!

13 minutes ago, sees said:

I would agree that 'doing the right thing' is more closely aligned to feelings of happiness....unless, of course, someone is a sadist!   :devil:  Ha!   (They are easily detected for what they are though)

Yep you are right, about the sadist or a psychopath etc.

But at the end of the day, I am only responsible for myself, the best I can do is to demonstrate this love, morality, happiness and contentment in the hope that it might inspire someone else.

I guess that my morality extends to not stepping upon someone else's happiness, or freedom for that matter.

Besides the ideas of morality and the feelings of happiness, there is a middle ground named Skill, or Skilfulness.  Being skilful involves tying all these things up into a package that is actually going to help someone. Too serious, or too flippant doesn't really help too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Yep you are right, about the sadist or a psychopath etc.

But at the end of the day, I am only responsible for myself, the best I can do is to demonstrate this love, morality, happiness and contentment in the hope that it might inspire someone else.

I guess that my morality extends to not stepping upon someone else's happiness, or freedom for that matter.

Besides the ideas of morality and the feelings of happiness, there is a middle ground named Skill, or Skilfulness.  Being skilful involves tying all these things up into a package that is actually going to help someone. Too serious, or too flippant doesn't really help too much.

Yes but not everyone wants to be helped anyway - people often have a vested interest for remaining stuck in a less than favourable situation e.g. getting the sympathy/attention.

A forum provides a great platform for sharing views/opinions and such freedom should be respected.  However, when someone tries to encroach upon this and say that their view is THE view, i.e. a fact...then I feel inclined to debate that!  (I would expect the same in return). There is a common danger of extrapolating from what someone finds true for them, must be a truth for everyone.

Happiness, for me, is not just about morality but in appreciation of so many things e.g. the innocence of young children (a constant delight to me), wondrous nature, good food, comedy etc etc....  I am sure you have a list too!  ;)

15910.gif

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, raman2109 said:

Totally right. Today humans are the enemy of fellow human beings. It is a sorry state of affair that people are ready to kill one another for small things.Strange!!

I doubt that this is anything new.   There have always been fantastic, outstanding brilliant people and those who are less than honourable and worse.  'Twas always thus.  The full spectrum of human behaviour has always existed.  How you appraise humans depends on your focus....check out my signature. ;)

1 hour ago, sees said:

Yes but not everyone wants to be helped anyway - people often have a vested interest for remaining stuck in a less than favourable situation e.g. getting the sympathy/attention.

A forum provides a great platform for sharing views/opinions and such freedom should be respected.  However, when someone tries to encroach upon this and say that their view is THE view, i.e. a fact...then I feel inclined to debate that!  (I would expect the same in return). There is a common danger of extrapolating from what someone finds true for them, must be a truth for everyone.

Happiness, for me, is not just about morality but in appreciation of so many things e.g. the innocence of young children (a constant delight to me), wondrous nature, good food, comedy etc etc....  I am sure you have a list too!  ;)

15910.gif

I fully understand that not everyone wishes to be helped, thats where the "skilfulness" comes into play.

Over time and with experience you can get a feel for someone very easily and you intuit your way forward. I never get involved with trying to help anyone unless there was a clear sign or an actual request.

This Skilfulness is also about the level of gravity, the tone of voice, your inflection, or just being a good listener. Its many things. This Skilfulness allows you to move around without creating huge ripples. Of knowing when you might try to help, and when to leave well enough a lone.

As for happiness Sees, the craziest stuff cracks me up. My bed just broke in two. Lol, honest. Im still laughing about it now.

• Like 3

Just to say, this thread isn't about being happy all the time, but about using our feelings a guides for our advancement.

Feelings as they say are the "language of the Soul".

Listen carefully.

• Like 2

Happiness and morals are relative terms but their connection is tricky. If killing people makes you happy are you then morally right to do so? 

38 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Happiness and morals are relative terms but their connection is tricky. If killing people makes you happy are you then morally right to do so? 

No of course not.

I am responsible for myself, no one else, if someone wants to kill a person then throw them into jail. It is why we have laws, the police and a justice system.

Who could possible try to connect murder with morality? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

No of course not.

I am responsible for myself, no one else, if someone wants to kill a person then throw them into jail. It is why we have laws, the police and a justice system.

Who could possible try to connect murder with morality? 

I'm just pointing out that following your feelings towards happiness is all very well if what makes you happy aligns with society. Murder is just an extreme example to make a point.

Do you deny that there are people who derive their happiness from the suffering and death of others?

9 hours ago, raman2109 said:

Humans are also the savior of other human beings.  We are not perfected or even mature.  Humans are a work in progress.  I like the time I spend away from humans and often I fell a sense of completeness and happiness being alone.  However, I am a human .  So in a sense, being a human is also responsible for my ability to sense happiness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Just to say, this thread isn't about being happy all the time, but about using our feelings a guides for our advancement.

Feelings as they say are the "language of the Soul".

Listen carefully.

I have always believed that your happiness depends on your view of situations. Your ability to take strive in your stride.

Example: mom had cancer. Bed ridden very badly affected. One visit to her she starts laughing. After questioning this attack of laughter she says...took cancer for me to finally lose weight and become sexy to society's standards.( keep in mind she was a bit over weight in life)

We sat there laughing. 

• Like 1

Another example. Dad has heart failure...organs also slowly shutting down. So Parkinsons decide to steal some of his dignity.

Visiting dad. He tries to  stir his tea...not nice to see.

Dad starts laughing...comments...well i always wanted to start a band...now i am doing it in my cup.

(Spoon jumping around making noise)

So yeah..happiness comes from inside. Always (IMO)

Edited by DebDandelion
  • Like 2

Happiness comes from you and it is a choice :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I'm just pointing out that following your feelings towards happiness is all very well if what makes you happy aligns with society. Murder is just an extreme example to make a point.

Do you deny that there are people who derive their happiness from the suffering and death of others?

No I do not deny that there are sadists and psychopaths in the world today.

But I am only responsible for one person, myself, just as you are only truly responcible for the way you act. If someone is a psychopath then perhaps happiness isn't a good compass, that is why I posed this idea as a question.

For me, being an half decent human being, as I suspect the vast majority of humanity are, for me, listening to my feelings as a guiding light makes perfect sense. It is immediate if not intuitive, it is totally reliable, and for the good folk at least, it can lead us to a happier more contented place.

Which for me is real wealth - happiness and health - thanks to our feelings!

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Humans are also the savior of other human beings.  We are not perfected or even mature.  Humans are a work in progress.  I like the time I spend away from humans and often I fell a sense of completeness and happiness being alone.  However, I am a human .  So in a sense, being a human is also responsible for my ability to sense happiness.

I agree with your post and I too feel by batteries and happy meter getting filled up away from other folk.

But I do see us as perfected being. We have nothing to add, we are holy sparks of divine energy and if we lack anything its an ability to demonstrate this perfection, via unconditional love, for everyone we meet.

And you do have the ability to sense happiness, and right from wrong. 

I suppose that this thread should have started with another question: "Do you wish to be happy?"

4 hours ago, DebDandelion said:

I have always believed that your happiness depends on your view of situations. Your ability to take strive in your stride.

Example: mom had cancer. Bed ridden very badly affected. One visit to her she starts laughing. After questioning this attack of laughter she says...took cancer for me to finally lose weight and become sexy to society's standards.( keep in mind she was a bit over weight in life)

We sat there laughing. 

I totally agree.

And a not so serious example, but yesterday my bed clapsed, an old cheap pine bed, I immediately thought, great, less to carry next time I have to move, and that old thing did squeak a lot. Last night I had a wonderful sleep.

Stress does terrible things to the body.

To follow your bliss, sweeping aside all the gross idiocies and bad habits can and will affect us in a very, very positive way.

And one last thing, there is no dogma in this ideal, your happiness might come from being alone, mine from writing stuff on the internet, another's happiness might come from the giving of their time; the possibilities are practically endless.

• Like 2