Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rarely seen ‘living fossil’ frilled shark

Still Waters

A frilled shark, a species that is often termed a ‘living fossil’ because of several ‘primitive’ features that have survived for millions of years, has been captured off the coast of Portugal’s Algarve region, the country’s meteorological and sea institute has announced.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/rarely-seen-living-fossil-frilled-shark-caught-off-algarve-coast/43833

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/prehistoric-dinosaur-era-shark-insane-130946712.html

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, readerlurker said:

Unchanged for 80 million years? What ever happened to evolution? Maybe Evolution isn't correct?

Or maybe you don't fully understand the concept of evolution?

• Like 4

That's even more creepy than my middle school physics teacher... JK i'd definitely pick running in to this thing while chilling out at the beach over him...

15 hours ago, readerlurker said:

Unchanged for 80 million years? What ever happened to evolution? Maybe Evolution isn't correct?

I'd guess there was no reason to evolve.

• Like 2

Yup, just ask Megalodon , and maybe soon enough ... the Great WHites, the Tigers ... or most other highly evolved sharks for that matter ...

~

Fished at 700metres holy crap!  2300feet   I'll go 200' trolling for salmon and think Im waaaay down there. What an interesting animal and a real survivor. Its sad tho it has to be killed for research. I suppose at these depths techniques for study are limited

On 11/12/2017 at 1:48 PM, readerlurker said:

Evolution took one look at that face... and all of a sudden remembered it had something really important to do somewhere else...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Evolution took one look at that face... and all of a sudden remembered it had something really important to do somewhere else...

:lol:

On 11/12/2017 at 8:48 PM, readerlurker said:

Probably it is your concept of theory of evolution that is incorrect, go read about it.

Evolution is about adaptation, not evolution per se, if the species hasnt changed in 80M years is because its  anatomy is well adjusted to its environment, even if that environment has changed,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, godnodog said:

Probably it is your concept of theory of evolution that is incorrect, go read about it.

Evolution is about adaptation, not evolution per se, if the species hasnt changed in 80M years is because its  anatomy is well adjusted to its environment, even if that environment has changed,

Adversity drives evolution so If a creature's environment is what it needs it doesn't have to evolve.

• 2 weeks later...

A thing of which nightmares are made of!