Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish could be as intelligent as chimpanzees

UM-Bot

The more we study, the more we learn and discover how actually intelligent and smart other species are. 

This posits an interesting moral question: would people still be ok to eat animals that are able to think like a 5-7 years old child?

Probably yes, but still it makes you wonder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parsec said:

The more we study, the more we learn and discover how actually intelligent and smart other species are. 

This posits an interesting moral question: would people still be ok to eat animals that are able to think like a 5-7 years old child?

Probably yes, but still it makes you wonder. 

Probably not. 

That's why it was in our interest to believe they were stupid. 

• Like 1

As a lifelong dedicated fly fishing addict I can absolutely believe this is true. Nothing worse than coming across "educated" fish who have seen every trick in the book and run up to the fly just to examine it and turn and swim away.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

As a lifelong dedicated fly fishing addict I can absolutely believe this is true. Nothing worse than coming across "educated" fish who have seen every trick in the book and run up to the fly just to examine it and turn and swim away.  

There was a really funny poem I read once. I can't remember all of it now, but the last line went something like...

This grown man with a prayer and a wish
Is trying to outwit...
A fish

Apparently, not such an easy task, after all. 

• Like 2

Wow, impressive. Maybe the fish are having a meeting right now on how to take revenge on humans for eating them. Maybe they are drawing lots on which fish that should go tell the sharks to attack the humans.

• Like 1

As an aquarium owner for many years I already believed fish were smarter than science understands. If I've done something like a new feeding method in the tank only a couple of times they seem to know the procedure in future times. This seems more so for longer-lived species.

• Like 2

I think we need to check the cockroach as well.  They seem pretty smart.  They always hide when they know I see one because they already know what happens next if they don't.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 0:12 AM, Farmer77 said:

All the fish round here have been to university. Especially the bass, they're all engaged in post doctoral studies.

• Like 3

On 13/11/2017 at 5:18 PM, _KB_ said:

Well they don't wage war on their own kin so they're bound to be smarter than humans... yeah i said it

They pretty much all eat whatever they can, including each other. 

Everything is just evolutionary survival.

Do you know what a fish is?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

They pretty much all eat whatever they can, including each other. 

Everything is just evolutionary survival.

Do you know what a fish is?

yes, though I've never seen a flounder eat a flounder, and sharks (and other carnivorous species) usually don't eat other members of their own species, just the other ones

• Like 2

I'll believe it. When we owned Koi, we saw many examples of just how smart they could be. One of the older fish that we'd named 'Sparkles' (yes, I know), used to herd up all the younger koi at feeding time, and make sure they all got enough to eat before allowing the other older koi to come in and eat. People used to look at me like I was crazy when I told them that, but this was a regular occurrence. Every day. There were also two koi that where friends. They were always together. Which made it rather heartbreaking when a stupid heron came along and ate one of them. The other one was never the same after, the way it acted, you could somehow tell it was depressed. Yet another reason why I consider fish 'meat' and refuse to eat them. I'm a vegetarian, not a piscatarian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _KB_ said:

yes, though I've never seen a flounder eat a flounder, and sharks (and other carnivorous species) usually don't eat other members of their own species, just the other ones

Incorrect I've just watched a David Attenbrough program where young sharks were swimming about then along came a 10 foot Bull Shark which ate 2 small ones, they are mobile rubbish skips that eat whatever is available, we caught and opened one up and inside was a crushed coke can and a car number plate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bunzilla said:

I'll believe it. When we owned Koi, we saw many examples of just how smart they could be. One of the older fish that we'd named 'Sparkles' (yes, I know). 

I had a koi called Sparkles, but we changed it's name to Emma.

16 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Incorrect I've just watched a David Attenbrough program where young sharks were swimming about then along came a 10 foot Bull Shark which ate 2 small ones, they are mobile rubbish skips that eat whatever is available, we caught and opened one up and inside was a crushed coke can and a car number plate.

in that case i was misinformed and owe my old biology teacher a strongly worded email