Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

15,000 scientists issue 'warning to humanity'

89 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

mesuma

Greed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rolci

Ultimately there are 2 essential kinds of reaction to news like this:
1. From now on I change my ways
2. Irrelevant, not in my lifetime. Next.
You guessed what the rough percentages are.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sees

Ultimately this seriously sobering and thoroughly investigated warning, backed by such a colossal number of scientists, should be compulsive reading for all those in power throughout the world.  Then for there to be global meetings (of the key figure heads) to discuss pragmatic, long term solutions.  THEY are the ones that can be most effective in changing the situation!

Edited by sees
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion

And in the end Captain Planet was depressingly accurate about those in power. Especially since last year.

But hey, everybody got sick of Environmental Messages they made everything in the 90s preachy and eeeeeeeebiiiiil! :rolleyes:

Guess what, ****'s serious and needs to be pointed out.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog
50 minutes ago, mesuma said:

Greed.

Well the most fortunate will build bunker to protect them from the element with slaves to care for them... or just build a colony on Mars and laugh at us down there..  it's just what's happening.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit

I predict that when the world turns feral, we will all dine on rat. 

It's what will be left.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WoIverine
3 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I predict that when the world turns feral, we will all dine on rat. 

It's what will be left.

Ah, the unspoken of, other white meat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
10 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

Ah, the unspoken of, other white meat.

Seriously, a few years ago I started asking what would happen to the environment if we all stopped trying to tame our yards and let earth get on with her own natural process of evolution. 

New growth where it's needed, sort of thing.

And the one answer that continues to crop up is, Rats. Rats and Rabbits. Rodents breed like wild fire under those conditions. Why on earth would scientists be pushing that we eat crickets to save the environment, when we could potentially farm a protein source while generating plant growth.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Smoke aLot

Profit is more important than everything else. Resident Evil final movie story is what we can realistically expect if things do not change. Not literally tho, without zombies :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sees

It's a question of what will give political leaders a sufficient 'wake up' call.   Maybe when the environmental impact directly starts to affect their lives we will see something significant taking shape to address the glaring issues pointed out here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
3 minutes ago, sees said:

It's a question of what will give political leaders a sufficient 'wake up' call.   Maybe when the environmental impact directly starts to affect their lives we will see something significant taking shape to address the glaring issues pointed out here.

Politicians make policies about fishing restrictions, clear felling and re-planting. Consumerism pushes a need(or desire)for more of what we actually don't need. Our economies run on supply and demand. We are responsible for what we consume. 

We have to clear our own back yards* and not pointhe fingers at others if we want change.

 

*or don't. It could be better for all of us in the long run.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trevor borocz johnson

As the population passes 100 trillion on our way to our infinity mark as the greatest things in the universe that need not acknowledge logic or law, we can all have a good laugh at these scientists who wanted to bail out a woosy 7 billion. (being facetious)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WoIverine
39 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Seriously, a few years ago I started asking what would happen to the environment if we all stopped trying to tame our yards and let earth get on with her own natural process of evolution. 

New growth where it's needed, sort of thing.

And the one answer that continues to crop up is, Rats. Rats and Rabbits. Rodents breed like wild fire under those conditions. Why on earth would scientists be pushing that we eat crickets to save the environment, when we could potentially farm a protein source while generating plant growth.

Lets hope people don't end up eating people. A freshwater crisis could take food animals right out of the equation as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
23 minutes ago, sees said:

It's a question of what will give political leaders a sufficient 'wake up' call.   Maybe when the environmental impact directly starts to affect their lives we will see something significant taking shape to address the glaring issues pointed out here.

below is what your average human is creating. The population is rising, some believe they have the right to have as many children as they like, they have the right to have their fish and bread on the supermarket shelves every time they want it, they have the right to have homes built ready for all their children when they grow up, they have a right to this and that and whatever they blooming well feel like and damn the effects it has on our planet.

What do you think the political leaders should do? tell people to stop breeding and stop being so bloody selfish? what do you think the people will say to that? how about "but its my right"

The selfish people I see who are having a negative effect on this planet because they demand the same as the next man, is  - everyone, and there are far too many of them.

 

Quote

In addition to climate change, Ripple highlighted multiple environmental concerns including ocean dead zones, dwindling biodiversity, forest losses and unsustainable marine fisheries.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/313309/15000-scientists-issue-warning-to-humanity

 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
Just now, WoIverine said:

Lets hope people don't end up eating people. A freshwater crisis could take food animals right out of the equation as well.

If we didn't spend hours fiting mother nature on the weekends. Natural water filters would grow. Lessening the chance of a fresh water crisis. Farmers do need to be more responsible with thier water use ( but that is my own personally biased opinion).

Found a story on some people who are looking into garden and lawn alternatives. 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/98371218/turf-wars-manicured-lawns-kill-ecosystem--but-were-not-ready-to-shut-off-mowers

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WoIverine
1 minute ago, Kismit said:

If we didn't spend hours fiting mother nature on the weekends. Natural water filters would grow. Lessening the chance of a fresh water crisis. Farmers do need to be more responsible with thier water use ( but that is my own personally biased opinion).

Found a story on some people who are looking into garden and lawn alternatives. 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/98371218/turf-wars-manicured-lawns-kill-ecosystem--but-were-not-ready-to-shut-off-mowers

How cool would it be to turn these lawns into sustainable gardens? HOA's would have a fit, then they'd probably switch gears and harass us for not having enough planted carrots, lettuce, or who knows what else. lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trevor borocz johnson

What else is there to do but be prepared to die in our lifetimes of on of mother nature's tricks. On my deathbed I won't be afraid just curious as to where in nature I end up and what its like to die, we're all going to die someday!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
1 minute ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

What else is there to do but be prepared to die in our lifetimes of on of mother nature's tricks. On my deathbed I won't be afraid just curious as to where in nature I end up and what its like to die, we're all going to die someday!

After I create my sustainable rat farm first.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sees
43 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Politicians make policies about fishing restrictions, clear felling and re-planting. Consumerism pushes a need(or desire)for more of what we actually don't need. Our economies run on supply and demand. We are responsible for what we consume. 

We have to clear our own back yards* and not pointhe fingers at others if we want change.

 

*or don't. It could be better for all of us in the long run.

Yes, of course, I didn't mean to imply that the politicians are wholly to blame - that's not what I said. I am environmentally savvy (e.g. I used to co-ordinate a local group of Friends Of The Earth). The public ARE becoming more aware - for instance - about plastic pollution.  We can all contribute to making a difference; I thought that went without saying.

Perhaps I phrased it poorly - in an earlier post (# 4) I said that the key figures (political leaders) are the ones that can be most effective in changing the situation.....after all, they are the ones that make the rules which govern how we live our lives. 

Here in London, the government is dragging its heels on abiding by legal air pollution levels which is a VERY serious issue.

https://www.ippr.org/publications/lethal-and-illegal-londons-air-pollution-crisis

Edited by sees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_KB_

How should i put this... Oh yeas now i remember: *snip*"or "thanks for stating the obvious" or better yet "both time and resource wasted for the soul porpoise of pointing out what almost everyone has known for multiple decades"

...

Tell me when the apocalypse comes but until then I've got midterms to study for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 hour ago, Kismit said:

After I create my sustainable rat farm first.

I'm thinking about opening a place called Fat Bob's BBQ and Morgue. Cannibalism because people are food too.:lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King

Glad I don't live where this'll affect me.

Oh wait, I do?

Then I'll just move.

Oh wait, I can't?

S**t.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nzo

The problem is that the intelligent people(I was 6 when I realized this) are starting to realize that there is only one boat... and if the boat sinks because the Captain(all the world leaders) crew(media, economic advisors, feritility religious leaders) and the majority of its passengers are all living in a delusional state where we can continue to breed out of control and consume as much as we want, the intelligent people will die off as well.

 

And I dont see anything that will take us off this trajectory. I feel for the other inhabitants of the world, those we have enitrely killed off and those yet to die. I feel for the poor creatures we grow every day in pain and suffering only to be slaughtered. Some argue man is good but I argue in its very nature man is absolutely EVIL to the core. Parasites instead of symbiots. Judged!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trevor borocz johnson
12 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Glad I don't live where this'll affect me.

Oh wait, I do?

Then I'll just move.

Oh wait, I can't?

S**t.

I feel fairly safe in my city because I live right on top of the great lakes and can feed off its ecosystem like a vagabound if I had to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.