Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

15,000 scientists issue 'warning to humanity'

UM-Bot

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

below is what your average human is creating. The population is rising, some believe they have the right to have as many children as they like, they have the right to have their fish and bread on the supermarket shelves every time they want it, they have the right to have homes built ready for all their children when they grow up, they have a right to this and that and whatever they blooming well feel like and damn the effects it has on our planet.

What do you think the political leaders should do? tell people to stop breeding and stop being so bloody selfish? what do you think the people will say to that? how about "but its my right"

The selfish people I see who are having a negative effect on this planet because they demand the same as the next man, is  - everyone, and there are far too many of them.

Hi F.T.R this is the first sensible answer I've seen on this thread, most of them are taking the P*** and Having A  Laugh, its a case of "pull up the ladder Jack I'm ok", I feel sorry for future generations who will struggle to survive in a polluted world unless we act now but even so it may be too late, maybe people will start realising we're in trouble when we start having acid rain, and fish start becoming extinct due to polluted oceans. Best Wishes S.T.M

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, readerlurker said:

It was bull**** in 1992 and it's bull**** today. Only it stinks worse.

What makes you say that , or don't you care about the environment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, readerlurker said:

It was bull**** in 1992 and it's bull**** today. Only it stinks worse.

Wow, you ripped their arguments apart there...  If it's a choice between 15,000 scientists backed by the same science that allows us to be posting on an Internet Forum, enjoying much longer lives, etc, versus a 16-post-forum-dweller - the choice is clear - Readerlurker for the Presidency of the World. 

• Like 4

On the bright side from Gaia's viewpoint, the anthropocene  may end with a thin layer of plastic debris in a geological eye blink.

In a more serious vein, we are now the adults in the room.  Like it or not, deserve it or not, we are affecting many aspects of the biosphere.  We are clever, but not always wise.   We need to get some wisdom and set our direction in the next few generations if we want humanity to survive in a good way.

Here are a few things we have been able to accomplish in years past:

We ended atmospheric nuclear testing when the bulk of society understood the  consequences.

In the height of the Cold War we began reducing our nuclear arsenals, partially because the concept of nuclear winter took hold in the mind of humanity.

When we figured it out, we replaced CFC's and ceased the growth of the hole in the ozone layer.

There is greed and pushback, but we can do this. It is going to take longer than some people want.  We cannot reset to zero, but we can make things a hellava lot better with awareness that by giving up.  Every other country in the world and about half the big cities in the US are signed up for the Paris accord, that's encouraging.

Here is another encouraging thought.  Maybe some day, humans will be the ones to deflect the comet headed for earth that would have eradicated 90% of species.  That would pay off some karmic debt even if its done purely in self interest.

• Like 5

Science...the new apocalyptic religion...even in the face of 100% failed climate models through the past 25 years they still claim to know the sky is falling.  The earmarks of cultism is palpable.  When the climate models can actually START TO predict the future accurately then I'll START TO listen.  Until then it all looks like doom mongering for the purposes of scaring people into social and political policies that give power and money to the State.  Religions of the world have had a long history of apocalyptic doom mongering, nice to see science finally catching up to the band-wagon.

Edited by Noxasa

1 hour ago, Noxasa said:

Science...the new apocalyptic religion...even in the face of 100% failed climate models through the past 25 years they still claim to know the sky is falling.  The earmarks of cultism is palpable.  When the climate models can actually START TO predict the future accurately then I'll START TO listen.  Until then it all looks like doom mongering for the purposes of scaring people into social and political policies that give power and money to the State.  Religions of the world have had a long history of apocalyptic doom mongering, nice to see science finally catching up to the band-wagon.

I don't think that scientists are scare mongering, have you walked along any beaches lately and seen all the debris and dross washed up, mountains of plastic rubbish , old tyres, wire netting etcetera ,and that's just on one beach. If we don't start acting responsibly the oceans could become barren in the near future all plant and animal/fish life would become extinct and the oceans would be like the DEAD SEA. therefor a lot of humans would starve to death, give it some thought man and act responsibly.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

I don't think that scientists are scare mongering, have you walked along any beaches lately and seen all the debris and dross washed up, mountains of plastic rubbish , old tyres, wire netting etcetera ,and that's just on one beach. If we don't start acting responsibly the oceans could become barren in the near future all plant and animal/fish life would become extinct and the oceans would be like the DEAD SEA. therefor a lot of humans would starve to death, give it some thought man and act responsibly.

We have regular, volunteer clean-ups of those things in our town. It has nothing to do with the federal government. If each individual and community took responsibility we would see some results. I don't go hiking without a plastic bag to pick up garbage. We've been cleaning up our environment for decades, mostly without the feds.

I'm sorry...I'm not very sympathetic of people who blame everything on the federal government.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

We have regular, volunteer clean-ups of those things in our town. It has nothing to do with the federal government. If each individual and community took responsibility we would see some results. I don't go hiking without a plastic bag to pick up garbage. We've been cleaning up our environment for decades, mostly without the feds.

I do much the same, especially when I'm fishing, but folks like you and I cant counteract the actions of industry and that's where government comes in. 

• Like 4

I'm having trouble convincing my roomate to use less water and do recycling even though he knows perfectly well of the severe drought Portugal is going through.

Mankind as a whole is blatantly stupid greedy ahole species, there is no other way to put it.

Having people stating the world is 4k years old and that mankind cant influence the climate because God's crestion is way too"strong" for any human influence etc etc etc.

A few years ago I decided to change my arguments when science fails to convince these people, and it goes something like this:

"Consider this perspectives:

-You (denier) are right, in a few years its proven climate change isnt real or human influence is negligeble, but we go according to scientist claim,we spend a lot of money in research and implementation of"green" energies and as ecological as possible, sustainable economy and society, what do we get in the end? A better environment, better health and better quality of life.

-You (denier) are wrong, climate change is real beyond any plausable denying argument or human influence is the biggest responsable, so we went according to scientist claims,we spend a lot of money in research and implementation of"green" energies and as ecological as possible, sustainable economy and society, what do we get in the end? A better environment, better health and better quality of life.

-You (denier) are right, in a few years its proven climate change isnt real or human influence is negligeble, so we didnt do anything to change our ways, what do we get? Nothing because our system is unsustainable and desteuctive, hey but you were right all along, heres a 50$ clean bottle of water to celebrate you being correct.

-You (denier) are wrong, in a few years its proven climate change is real beyond doubt or human influence is responsible, but we didnt do anything to change our ways, what do we get? Nothing because our system is unsustainable and desteuctive, hey but heres 50$ to buy a clean bottle ofwater bottle, lets savage capitalism, free enterprise and personnal freedoms and no responsability bexause "freedom bitxh"

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I do much the same, especially when I'm fishing, but folks like you and I cant counteract the actions of industry and that's where government comes in. 

After Walter Conkite announced to the world my city was the dirtiest in the US in 1969 the local government was so insulted they stepped up. Now we have an exceptional air quality track record. No feds needed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noxasa said:

Blah blah blah. "I'll only take notice when I get the sort of evidence I want". 

This is a pretty good case for why you're wrong.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Noxasa said:

Please define what you mean by "accurately."  Accuracy is usually defined using two numbers:  the r^2 value (sometimes FIT index is used instead) and the standard deviation.  So how accurate is "accurate?"  And while you're at it, specify which model you are criticizing.

There are over 300 climate models with varying levels of accuracy.  Most are intended for specific purposes, like predicting water levels in the Arkansas River Basin.  That one would not be very accurate in a different basin, like the Amazon.

The current problem with GCMs is an inability to predict convection precipitation at specific points.  In Oklahoma we only get about 33 inches of rain in a year, but you ought to be here the day we get it.  I think the record is 22 inches in one day.  How do you predict that?  One city gets drowned while another 20 miles away sees only a sprinkle.  Yet city planners and highway engineers need to know how much rain the sewer system needs to handle and how much water will be going through the culvert.  We can predict those numbers for the near future by reference to past distribution patterns projected ahead in time, but what happens in a warming climate?  How much water will be coming down the river 50 years from now?

That the climate is warming and precipitation patterns changing is easily proven.  Oklahoma City warmed about 0.558 degrees F. during the 20th century.  That's not a prediction; it's what actually happened.  It's the consequences of that warming that are being debated.

Doug

23 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Ah, the unspoken of, other white meat.

Tastes like chicken?

22 hours ago, Kismit said:

After I create my sustainable rat farm first.

Don't forget cockroaches.  I've read they are high in protein.

Seriously, why we need consumerism?  People need to work so they can eat and take care of their families.  No one NEEDS a new iPhone or Galaxy S every 6 months.  All these help to do is dumb down society. "Look a new amimoji!"  Give me a break!  Until John Lennon's dream of "Imagine" is realized, we are headed for destruction as a race.  Which sort of brings us back around to the first post "Greed"

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Kismit said:

I predict that when the world turns feral, we will all dine on rat. 

It's what will be left.

tumblr_inline_nze2k8zUho1qbiz5t_500.jpgtumblr_inline_nze2k0VGlr1qbiz5t_500.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Seriously, why we need consumerism?  People need to work so they can eat and take care of their families.  No one NEEDS a new iPhone or Galaxy S every 6 months.  All these help to do is dumb down society. "Look a new amimoji!"  Give me a break!

It would be ultimatley the best if we used the design that lasts the longest so we wouldn't have to replace it every couple years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

It would be ultimatley the best if we used the design that lasts the longest so we wouldn't have to replace it every couple years.

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

And the one and only answer is to reduce the Human population to a sustainable level.

I've done my part! My little flip phone is probably twenty years old and works like a charm. I don't have to deal with annoying texts either.

I also made the conscious choice not to have kids!!! :sk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seanjo said:

As long as your not celibate! That would be a sacrifice too far!!

Nope...like all the dogs I've had, I've been fixed. :P

And will these same scientists promote the only solution: curbing the breeding rates in the third world and muslim countries. No, because apparently being PC is still more important than saving the planet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scarlatti said:

And will these same scientists promote the only solution: curbing the breeding rates in the third world and muslim countries. No, because apparently being PC is still more important than saving the planet.

Maybe they actually THINK about what all the real problems are, and focus on those that can be solved, instead of handwaving simplistic claims about high population being the 'only' issue..?

If you honestly believe that..., words fail me.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Maybe they actually THINK about what all the real problems are, and focus on those that can be solved, instead of handwaving simplistic claims about high population being the 'only' issue..?

If you honestly believe that..., words fail me.

The mental gymnastics which are required to maintain this as a political issue are truly impressive. 

On 11/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, UM-Bot said:

Thousands of scientists from 184 countries have issued a stark warning about the future of our planet.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/313309/15000-scientists-issue-warning-to-humanity

Yeah looky here actually plants need more co2 LINK

Oh and we're all gonna drown LINK

Edited by cerberusxp
Added link