Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs love us...

pallidin

An intruder, sensed by a dog, will be aggressively confronted.

Some dogs are "alert only", whereas other breeds will directly attack anyone perceived to be harming its owner.

Everyone should have a dog. They are loving, they are loyal. They are protective.

• Like 5

I had the best dog ever, and I miss him so much. 

• Like 1

I had a Rottweiler back in the day and when me and my ex wife play wrestled he would nip at her to protect me.  Miss that dog, not the ex.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Some dogs are "alert only", whereas other breeds will directly attack anyone perceived to be harming its owner.

Everyone should have a dog. They are loving, they are loyal. They are protective.

I don't like dogs, just because they are loyal, and you have to take them out to poo. Cats are better, they do anything in their power to annoy you, but they compensate that with purring, and no need to take them for a poo.

Unloyal purring dog programmed to go to toilet would be a good idea.

Edited by Mr. Argon

2 hours ago, pallidin said:

Agree with them being loving, loyal and protective.

I have 2 dogs, the cocker spaniel is all three from above - triple fold, the westie is a lazy little mutt who is all three on his terms.

My concern are the irresponsible dogs owners  who own dogs in areas where dogs are basically pets and are in contact with other people and other dogs.

There is a difference between owning a dog to work and guard and owning a dog because you want a pet. 

My cocker was attacked by a staffy owned by someone who thought it made him look hard, he did not need the dog as a guard dog and knew before he got it that all the dogs on our marina got on together.....but still decided to get a 2 year old staffy which was used as a guard dog which was not in contact with other breed of dogs  and moved him to a community of  friendly dogs.....his dog wanted to attack everything other dog in sight.   Was he being loyal and loving and protective to his new owner?  I am not sure, the owner was never under any threat so where does the protection part start?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

My cocker was attacked by a staffy owned by someone who thought it made him look hard, he did not need the dog as a guard dog and knew before he got it that all the dogs on our marina got on together.....but still decided to get a 2 year old staffy which was used as a guard dog which was not in contact with other breed of dogs  and moved him to a community of  friendly dogs.....his dog wanted to attack everything other dog in sight.   Was he being loyal and loving and protective to his new owner?  I am not sure, the owner was never under any threat so where does the protection part start?

I'm notorious for adopting large, young, full grown dogs that have been used and abused. It takes a lot of time and patience to socialize them. Before you put them in that situation they have to trust you, or should, completely. 

In other words, that guy is an idiot.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'm notorious for adopting large, young, full grown dogs that have been used and abused. It takes a lot of time and patience to socialize them. Before you put them in that situation they have to trust you, or should, completely. 

In other words, that guy is an idiot.

That is the problem....the idiots who get dogs without understanding anything about the different breeds

Well done you, i admire people who take in abused dogs and take care of them. My mother in law works for labrador rescue, she has seen some very sad sights....all because of those idiot humans.

People like you get a whole bunch of thumbs up from me. 

• Like 4

My mother rescued dozens of dogs, big and small, while I was growing up. I fell in love Huskies and Malamutes. I tried to resist a Husky, but had to take her with me when I left home. They have been my passion ever since. :wub:

In the southern US, don't expect them to spend too much time outside in the summer though. :lol:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Michelle said:

My mother rescued dozens of dogs, big and small, while I was growing up. I fell in love Huskies and Malamutes. I tried to resist a Husky, but had to take her with me when I left home. They have been my passion ever since. :wub:

In the southern US, don't expect them to spend too much time outside in the summer though. :lol:

I would love a husky, but not suitable for a narrowboat, poor thing would struggle turning round. :huh::D

• Like 4

Not a dog owner myself, but I take care of other people's dogs and am friendy with all the neighbors' dogs. One day, I was hanging out with a pair of black Labs in the neighborhood, and there were a few household items on their front lawn. Their people had just had a yard sale, and this was what didn't sell. There was a sign that said "Free."

I saw something I could use, so I picked it up, and the dogs immediately snapped into alert. Their response was measured: not menacing, but unmistakably protective. I pointed to the sign, and just as quickly, the dogs resumed being relaxed and friendly. A bit later, I walked off with my new stuff, with no problem.

Of course, the dogs couldn't read the sign, but they knew that their people had made it, and they knew that we humans use such things to communicate. The dogs know that we look at a sign to get the message, rather than smell it. They  took my word for it that the sign said it was OK for me to take something.

That was sophisticated thinking on the dogs' part, balancing their love for their own household with neighborly good will. We have a good relationship :) .

• Like 5

I love Huskies but the hair drives me nuts. I had a black lab when I was a kid and I remember this one day I came home from school and lost my house key and it was pretty cold out. What did I do, I crawled into the dog house and snuggled up to my dog ok my sisters dog really to keep warm.  2 hours later my mom came home and was wondering where I was. When she came into the back yard Buffy yes my sister called it Buffy started to bark. Woke me up and I crawled out saying here I am. I smelled like dog for a week but she saved me sort of so gave her a bath. Black labs love baths. Really, they do.  

Edited by The Silver Thong
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, The Silver Thong said:

I love Huskies but the hair drives me nuts

Tell me about it. I swept and vacuumed every day and it still crept up everywhere. When my last baby died of old age a couple of years ago I decided not to get another dog. It's so much easier to keep the house clean now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Tell me about it. I swept and vacuumed every day and it still crept up everywhere. When my last baby died of old age a couple of years ago I decided not to get another dog. It's so much easier to keep the house clean now.

It's the love they give back that makes it worth all the trouble. Pain in the ass but worth it. I had a friend/roomate that was deaf and she had an aid dog or what ever you call them. It was a poodle and it grew on me. We could go anywhere with the little guy. Walk into the pub with a dog and people would look because she wore a little vest and Denna had a card or licence stating it was a service dog. She could read lips, Denna not the dog. I tried learning sign language but it was as good as me learning how to play the piano lol.  I never really looked at poodles being a service type dog but she did good. It was trained to tell her if the doorbell rang or the phone was ringing and such. I just shot her with elastics to get her attention.  Denna not the dog, the dog could hear. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Silver Thong said:

It's the love they give back that makes it worth all the trouble. Pain in the ass but worth it.

You reminded me of a story, ST. When I had finally gotten my Malamute socialized, and he was no longer terrified of people, I wanted to take him to the fair, where dogs are allowed. My husband complained and said if I wanted to take him I would have to look after him. <_< Rocky was, after a year of tender loving care and healing his wounds, a beautiful, majestic, sweet animal. Talk about a magnet! We attracted so much attention my husband couldn't stand it. :P People were constantly crowding around us. Adults (good looking men) and kids. After a few hours he said that I must be tired and he'd hold the leash a while for me. ;) :lol:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

After having a cat a year and my dogs most of my life.   Dogs are just clearly the best pet.  Dogs don't hate, cats hate!

LOL I had a cat that thought it was a beaver and my leg was a tree. Yes I kicked it, but it was in reflex......  mostly, the cat was like a walking dead Garfield 

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

You reminded me of a story, ST. When I had finally gotten my Malamute socialized, and he was no longer terrified of people, I wanted to take him to the fair, where dogs are allowed. My husband complained and said if I wanted to take him I would have to look after him. <_< Rocky was, after a year of tender loving care and healing his wounds, a beautiful, majestic, sweet animal. Talk about a magnet! We attracted so much attention my husband couldn't stand it. :P People were constantly crowding around us. Adults (good looking men) and kids. After a few hours he said that I must be tired and he'd hold the leash a while for me. ;) :lol:

My so called sisters dog bonded to me and followed me every where I went.  Yes Buffy became mine but I couldn't change her name. She was my guardian angle for years. She liked puddles alot. Dogs are a chick magnet, I need to get another one.  I will leave out the man part out but I have been approached many times and I didn't need the dog. Do I look gay, no really do I ?