Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The American Mafia Today

BrooklynGuy

No jail time for getaway driver in home invasion at Mafia leader's residence

A young man who acted as a getaway driver when someone stormed into the Laval home of a Montreal Mafia leader and threatened the mobster’s family at gunpoint will not have to serve jail time for his role in what transpired. Quebec Court Judge Serge Cimon said on Thursday that sending 26-year-old David Cormier to a detention centre would negate the efforts he has made to get his life together since his arrest last year. Shortly before noon on May 6, 2017, a gunman entered the home of Francesco (Chit) Del Balso, 48, and pointed a gun at his wife and two sons while demanding to know where the mobster was. 

Read more: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/no-jail-time-for-getaway-driver-in-home-invasion-at-mafia-leaders-residence

• Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, BrooklynGuy said:

Trump attacks a practice that's brought down Mafia bosses

In an interview with Fox News this morning, President Trump frontally attacked the practice of prosecutors using accomplice witnesses to prosecute and convict other criminals. The President blasted his former attorney, Michael Cohen, for “flipping” on him — and praised another ex-lieutenant with legal trouble, Paul Manafort, for hanging tough.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-thank-god-for-those-who-flip-20180823-story.html

1 hour ago, BrooklynGuy said:

No jail time for getaway driver in home invasion at Mafia leader's residence

A young man who acted as a getaway driver when someone stormed into the Laval home of a Montreal Mafia leader and threatened the mobster’s family at gunpoint will not have to serve jail time for his role in what transpired. Quebec Court Judge Serge Cimon said on Thursday that sending 26-year-old David Cormier to a detention centre would negate the efforts he has made to get his life together since his arrest last year. Shortly before noon on May 6, 2017, a gunman entered the home of Francesco (Chit) Del Balso, 48, and pointed a gun at his wife and two sons while demanding to know where the mobster was. 

Read more: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/no-jail-time-for-getaway-driver-in-home-invasion-at-mafia-leaders-residence

I realize this is Canada but to me it relates a little to what the President said about flipping.  It's Prosecutors deciding who they want to prosecute and what they are going to prosecute. 

What grabs my attention is this seems like a "brain wash" article*.  It starts out with this "young man. "   Then we're told he's just now thought about getting his life together.  Well at 26 bully for him.  Read what he actually did.  Okay, maybe he's high and makes a bad decision to give someone a ride.  Boo Hoo ….  That little bitty wrong decision does not explain why you did a U turn to be ready to pick up the doer when he RAN back to your car.  Then you go on to led the police on over 100 mph chase, (160 kph = 99.42 mph) including running stop signs in a residential neighborhood.  Then you have a dog in the back of the car that gave the police reason to have to shoot it.  (Sic em ?)

If I were him I'd quickly decide on one of those handy dandy treatment programs too.

I know that "flipping" people has been a practice often used in bringing down mafia but, in view of what we are seeing now in the justice system, I'm thinking it gives too much power to prosecutors.  So was this poor, high, young little guy deserving of an treatment program without any of those nasty interruptions for a crime you committed or is he the Police Chief's nephew ?  Want to wager a bet on that ?  

* Take a minute and assess this article for brain washing.  Not only does it identify the "young" culprit right up front.  The first paragraph is dedicated to identifying the victim as a bad guy.  Does this mean we are to thing his family deserved their home being broken into by an armed intruder ?  I think, yes, that's where your mind is supposed to be.  It also has an unusual choice of words in the judge's decision of not sending him to a "detention center."  Now perhaps Canada is different but here prison or jail would be the term I would think of for where a 26 yr. old would go.  But it fits with "young" doesn't it because that's what they most often call juvenile prisons.  Now he's even gotten younger.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Vincennes said:

I realize this is Canada but to me it relates a little to what the President said about flipping.  It's Prosecutors deciding who they want to prosecute and what they are going to prosecute. 

What grabs my attention is this seems like a "brain wash" article*.  It starts out with this "young man. "   Then we're told he's just now thought about getting his life together.  Well at 26 bully for him.  Read what he actually did.  Okay, maybe he's high and makes a bad decision to give someone a ride.  Boo Hoo ….  That little bitty wrong decision does not explain why you did a U turn to be ready to pick up the doer when he RAN back to your car.  Then you go on to led the police on over 100 mph chase, (160 kph = 99.42 mph) including running stop signs in a residential neighborhood.  Then you have a dog in the back of the car that gave the police reason to have to shoot it.  (Sic em ?)

If I were him I'd quickly decide on one of those handy dandy treatment programs too.

I know that "flipping" people has been a practice often used in bringing down mafia but, in view of what we are seeing now in the justice system, I'm thinking it gives too much power to prosecutors.  So was this poor, high, young little guy deserving of an treatment program without any of those nasty interruptions for a crime you committed or is he the Police Chief's nephew ?  Want to wager a bet on that ?  

* Take a minute and assess this article for brain washing.  Not only does it identify the "young" culprit right up front.  The first paragraph is dedicated to identifying the victim as a bad guy.  Does this mean we are to thing his family deserved their home being broken into by an armed intruder ?  I think, yes, that's where your mind is supposed to be.  It also has an unusual choice of words in the judge's decision of not sending him to a "detention center."  Now perhaps Canada is different but here prison or jail would be the term I would think of for where a 26 yr. old would go.  But it fits with "young" doesn't it because that's what they most often call juvenile prisons.  Now he's even gotten younger.  

I agree Vincennes and thanks for the post. I think attitudes are a little different in Canada about some things when it comes to the Mafia, but this guy deserved to go to jail imo. Canada does not have RICO statutes and Mafia members get much lighter sentences compared to the sentences in America.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, BrooklynGuy said:

I agree Vincennes and thanks for the post. I think attitudes are a little different in Canada about some things when it comes to the Mafia, but this guy deserved to go to jail imo. Canada does not have RICO statutes and Mafia members get much lighter sentences compared to the sentences in America.

Interesting :huh: 

I really thought that article was interesting in that it was almost a perfect example of being intended to lead the mind.  Now, as always, there's a possibility I'm all wet in my suspicions of it but it certainly had some hall marks.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vincennes said:

Interesting :huh: 

I really thought that article was interesting in that it was almost a perfect example of being intended to lead the mind.  Now, as always, there's a possibility I'm all wet in my suspicions of it but it certainly had some hall marks.    

I think you are right it was intended to lead us, I think the writer set a sympathetic tone for this young man.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

I think you are right it was intended to lead us, I think the writer set a sympathetic tone for this young man.

Yeah, and when you read what he actually had done there was nothing very much to be sympathetic about.  Running for a job and a "treatment" program for his marijuana problem is a bit of a standard.  Coming to think about that now, that's the drug problem he was supposed to have isn't it ?  Nothing other than marijuana was mentioned !   None of that nasty heroin or fentanyl for that poor young man just a puff or two too often.  

Hey, you're right there.  Believe that and I got this really nice bridge I could sell you  :D

• Like 1

Ex-Gotti lawyer rejoins El Chapo legal team

The slick defense attorney who helped bring a little Teflon to John Gotti’s son is back on the case of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman — following nearly a year of financial wrangling. Lawyer Jeffrey Lichtman will sign onto the cartel leader’s defense team Monday, he told The Post. Lichtman is joining Eduardo Balarezo and William Purpura in Guzman’s defense almost a year after he initially attempting to represent the kingpin, but was foiled due to a murky monetary situation.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2018/08/19/ex-gotti-lawyer-rejoins-el-chapo-legal-team/

Man involved in hit on alleged Montreal Mafioso is denied parole

A Montreal resident serving time for his role in an attempt to murder an alleged influential member of the Montreal Mafia recently told prison authorities he has no concerns despite having been informed his life appears to be in danger. The details of Kevin Rochebrun’s lack of worry about his safety are contained in a recent decision made by the Parole Board of Canada to deny him any form of release while he continues to serve a three-year prison term he received last year. He pleaded guilty to possessing firearms discovered by the Montreal police during their investigation of the attempted murder of Marco Pizzi.

Read more: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/man-involved-in-hit-on-alleged-montreal-mafioso-is-denied-parole

Son of slain Southie club owner rips former Mafia capo in letter to judge

Former Mafia capo Robert P. “Bobby” DeLuca, sentenced to 5 ½ years Tuesday for lying about his role in the burial of slain club owner Steven DiSarro in 1993, “should be held accountable to the greatest extent possible for his actions,” one of DiSarro’s children said in a letter submitted to the judge. The letter from Nick DiSarro, who attended DeLuca’s emotional sentencing hearing in US District Court in Boston with his brother Michael and mother, Pamela, echoed many of the themes Michael touched on when he addressed the court before the 73-year-old gangster learned his fate.

Read more: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/08/29/son-slain-south-boston-club-owner-rips-former-mafia-capo-robert-deluca-letter-judge/QWGBvnSlc7EsQGeoqc4vDL/story.html

Drug dealer tied to murdered Mob-tied loan shark granted day parole

A Laval man who recently admitted he served as the longtime right-hand man to a powerful Mafia-tied loan shark who was murdered five years ago has been granted day parole. He is serving a sentence for cocaine possession as well as the small collection of firearms found when police searched his home.

Read more: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/drug-dealer-tied-to-murdered-mob-tied-loan-shark-granted-day-parole

• Like 1

‘Cadillac Frank’ sentenced to life in prison

A former New England Mafia boss has been sentenced to life in prison for the killing of a nightclub owner in 1993. Eighty-five-year-old Francis “Cadillac Frank” Salemme was sentenced Thursday, nearly three months after he was found guilty of killing Steven DiSarro to prevent him from talking to authorities. His co-defendant, Paul Weadick, also got life in prison.

Read more: https://wtop.com/national/2018/09/the-latest-cadillac-frank-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/

Maurice Benard Cast As John Gotti in 'The Victoria Gotti Story'

Soaps.com has learned that General Hospital's Maurice Benard (Port Charles' Sonny Corinthos) has been cast as crime boss John Gotti in the upcoming Lifetime TV biopic The Victoria Gotti Story. The actor took to Instagram to share the news and his thanks for the role. "Thank you Lifetime and everyone involved 4 a Beautiful opportunity," Benard posted. As the movie is just starting production, very little information about it exists. It appears to be written by Victoria Gotti, daughter of Gotti. It is unknown if the film is about her, or her mother, who was also Victoria Gotti.

Read more: http://soaps.sheknows.com/general-hospital/news/51294/maurice-benard-cast-as-john-gotti-in-the-victoria-gotti-story

• Like 1

Reputed Lucchese crime family associate faces 15 years in plea deal

A reputed associate of the Lucchese crime family faces up to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder in federal court in White Plains, authorities announced today. Vincent Bruno, 34, was among 19 reputed mobsters arrested in a May 2017 sweep that targeted some of the Lower Hudson Valley's most notorious organized-crime figures, including alleged Lucchese underboss Steven "Wonder Boy" Crea of Tuckahoe. Federal prosecutors said it was Crea who ordered Bruno and alleged Yonkers mobster Paul "Paulie Roast Beef" Cassano to kill a crime-family associate in the Bronx in 2012.

Read more: https://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2018/09/14/lucchese-crime-family-associate-faces-15-years-attempted-murder-plea/1304740002/

CHICAGO MOBSTER, CICERO CREW BUTTON MAN PAUL SPANO PASSES AWAY AT 87

Chicago mafia soldier Paul Spano died of natural causes this summer. The 87-year old Spano had been a soldier in the Outfit’s Cicero crew and was the older brother of one-time crew boss Michael (Big Mike) Spano. For years, the Spano brothers owned Flash Trucking, a produce hauling firm and frequent hangout for Chicago mob dignitaries. Paul Spano went down in the 1990 Operation Good Ship Lollipop bust and did two and a half years in federal prison for racketeering and tax evasion. He was released in February 1994.

Read more: http://gangsterreport.com/an-outfit-farewell-chicago-mobster-cicero-crew-button-man-paul-spano-passes-away-at-87/

'Brothers and sisters' of the Mafia, repent, pope says in Sicily

Pope Francis appealed to Sicily’s Mafia on Saturday to abandon a life of crime and violence, saying the island needed “men and women of love, not men and women ‘of honor,’” using the term mobsters apply to themselves. Francis, in the Sicilian capital, said organized crime members - many of whom go to church and worship openly - “cannot believe in God and be Mafiosi” at the same time. In his appeal, he referred to them as “dear brothers and sisters”.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-sicily/brothers-and-sisters-of-the-mafia-repent-pope-says-in-sicily-idUSKCN1LV09N?il=0&utm_source=reddit.com

• Sad 1

Gene Gotti’s release from prison has mob on edge

“Dapper Don” John Gotti’s younger brother, Gene, is back on the streets after serving 29 years in prison for dealing heroin — and the mob is bracing for what it will mean to their rackets, The Post has learned. An exclusive Post photo shows Gene Gotti, 71, outside his family home in Valley Stream, Long Island, following his release on parole from a federal lockup in Louisiana last week.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/gene-gottis-release-from-prison-has-mob-on-edge/

Iavarone family asks to be ‘left in peace’

The family of an Ancaster man shot dead as he walked into his home last week is not speaking with police and is asking to be left in peace. Albert (Al) Iavarone was killed by a gunman who waited in the bushes outside his Sunflower Crescent home around 9:55 p.m. on Sept. 13. His wife and two of his children were inside and called police, drawing officers who found the 50-year-old in the entrance to his home with a gunshot to the upper body.

Read more: https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8907237-iavarone-family-asks-to-be-left-in-peace-/

Buffalo mob playing role in deadly Ontario dispute, sources say

The murder of Hamilton real estate agent Al Iavarone at his home last week suggests that the New York State mob still has considerable influence in the southern Ontario underworld, sources say. “I don’t think anyone knows for certain how this plays out,” said Paul Manning, a former Hamilton undercover police officer who worked on organized crime investigations. “One thing’s for sure, Buffalo will always have a say north of the border.”

Read more: https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2018/09/17/buffalo-mob-playing-role-in-deadly-ontario-dispute-sources-say.html

Organized Crime Associate Pleads Guilty To Attempted Murder

Geoffrey S. Berman, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced that VINCENT BRUNO pled guilty today before United States Magistrate Judge Paul E. Davison to attempting to kill, and conspiring to kill, a Bronx man in 2012.  In May 2017, BRUNO and 18 other members and associates of the Lucchese Family of La Cosa Nostra were arrested and charged in a nine-count Indictment, for their involvement in offenses including racketeering, murder, attempted murder, narcotics trafficking, and gun crimes.  

Read more: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/organized-crime-associate-pleads-guilty-attempted-murder

Hamilton cops release image of vehicle in suspected gangland hit

Hamilton police have released CCTV footage they believe is the getaway vehicle for the gunman who fatally shot a real estate broker outside his home last week. Albert “Al” Iavarone, 50, was gunned down in a “targeted” hit in Ancaster late Thursday. Cops and underworld observers say the slaying has all the earmarks of an organized crime assassination. In a release Tuesday, police said they believe the vehicle is a light-coloured SUV or Crossover-type.

Read more: https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/hamilton-cops-release-image-of-vehicle-in-suspected-gangland-hit

Hamilton man arrested in 2 mob-related slayings

A Hamilton man has been arrested on two counts of first-degree murder and one of attempted murder in a sprawling Mafia investigation that wound through the GTA into the Niagara region and south to the Mexican Riviera. “Organized crime is worldwide,” Hamilton police Det. Sgt. Peter Thom told a news conference Thursday after Jabril Hassan Abdalla of Hamilton appeared briefly in court.

Read more: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/09/20/hamilton-man-arrested-in-mobster-musitano-murder-police-hunt-for-two-others.html

Christopher D. Warren, 58, colorful Philly Mob lawyer Dies

Christopher D. Warren, 58, a prominent and sometimes mouthy Philadelphia defense lawyer who made his name representing mobsters and gangsters, was found dead by his landlord on Saturday, Sept. 8, in his North Carolina home. The official cause of death was an aneurysm, said Laura Feldman, Mr. Warren's ex-wife. Feldman said a memorial service will be held in December because "his friends are from all over the country, and they all want to come."

Read more: http://www2.philly.com/philly/obituaries/christopher-warren-attorney-meek-mill-fumo-philadelphia-20180918.html

THE DON OF SILICON VALLEY

Joe Cerrito died on September 7, 1978, from a heart attack at age 67. He was a successful businessman in the San Jose, California, area, the owner of a car repair center and a large Lincoln-Mercury dealership in nearby Los Gatos. His death didn’t make any major news networks, and earned only a few paragraphs in a half-dozen papers. But for almost 20 years, Joe Cerrito was the head of a small crime family headquartered in San Jose. While Cerrito was small potatoes compared with the larger Mafia families of the Midwest and East Coast, the Sicilian-born racketeer, who moved to San Jose in 1947, was respected enough to have attended the ill-fated Apalachin Summit meeting in upstate New York in 1957.

Read more: https://themobmuseum.org/blog/don-silicon-valley/

Reputed Luchese mobster Datello pleads guilty 

A reputed mobster pleaded guilty Monday to attempting to whack a federal witness whose information helped authorities build a racketeering case against him and a fellow wiseguy. Joseph Datello faces life in prison for his plea, including admissions that he was involved in narcotics trafficking and the collection of debts through the threat of violence.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-metro-witness-guilty-plea-20180924-story.html

How 'Mafia' became 'La Cosa Nostra'

In the early 1960s, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) developed information from multiple sources that indicated the criminal organization commonly known as the Mafia was in fact secretly called La Cosa Nostra by its members. Turncoat Joseph Valachi popularized the new term when he testified at the McClellan Hearings in 1963 about his involvement in the group. 

Read more: http://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/mafialacosanostra.html

Ontario police make arrest in high-profile gangland murders linked to Mafia power struggle

Police are plotting grim landmarks of a sprawling underworld power struggle between Canadian Mafia clans — murders, bombings and arsons that stretch from suburban Ontario streets to a drainage ditch in Mexico. The most public confirmation of the spreading feud came Thursday from a joint police task force announcing the arrest of one man for two gangland murders and an international manhunt for two others who fled to Mexico — at least one of whom is feared dead.

Read more: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ontario-police-make-arrest-in-high-profile-gangland-murders

FEDERAL PROSECUTOR CLAIMS FORMER N.E. MOB BOSS HAS MANY MORE HITS UNDER BELT

At last week’s sentencing hearing in federal court where former New England mafia don Francis (Cadillac Frank) Salemme got saddled with a life prison term for ordering the murder of his business partner, Boston nightclub owner Stevie DiSarro, back in May 1993, U.S. Attorney and famous mob buster Fred Wyshak told Judge Allison Burroughs that the government suspected Salemme took part in at least another half-dozen first-degree homicide conspiracies in his days as boss of the Patriarca crime family.

Read more: http://gangsterreport.com/the-open-case-file-on-cadillac-frank-federal-prosecutor-claims-former-n-e-mob-boss-has-many-more-hits-under-belt/

TORONTO MOBSTER “DARK DANNY” RANIERI MEETS HIS MAKER IN MEXICO AS A FUGITIVE

Canadian mob figure Daniele (Dark Danny) Ranieri was killed in Cancun, Mexico earlier this year while on the run from the law, dodging an extortion indictment out of Ontario in 2015. The 33-year old Ranieri was the Rizzuto crime family’s crew boss in Toronto. He was found in a beachside ditch in February, bound, gagged and shot twice in the back of the head. Royal Canadian Mounted Police officials told the media of Ranieri’s death this week at a press conference.

Read more: http://gangsterreport.com/going-over-to-the-dark-side-toronto-mobster-dark-danny-ranieri-met-his-maker-in-mexico-as-a-fugitive/