Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we seed life through the cosmos?

Waspie_Dwarf

Should we seed life through the cosmos using laser-driven ships?

Our galaxy may contain billions of habitable worlds that don’t host any life. Should we attempt to change that?

Claudius Gros at the Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany, thinks we should. He believes in directed panspermia: deliberately seeding life throughout the cosmos. And to do that, he proposes we use a laser propulsion system that may not be technically out of reach.

arrow3.gif  Read More: New Scientist

• Like 2

Thats a very good question but also a very difficult question to answer. Its my opinion that if humans have to leave the Earth, for whatever reasons, in the deep future it will not happen in a, how I call it, Perry Rhodan fashion. Means, humans will not arrive on a new planet, start farming and breeding as the possibility that there will be a planet thats like a blanco-Earth with the same environmental/atmospheric conditions seems low.

So there are 3 options on hands. The first is that we have to develop further cryogenic technology that will allow to freeze and reanimate humans without any damages. But, as we dont know the environmental/atmospheric conditions on a foreign target planet exactly (yet), a big number of target planets must be targeted to raise the chance for a survival on at least one planet. But this procedure will involve a lot of ethical questions and issues.

2nd option is that we develop a technology that will made it possible to send out fertilised human eggs, or human DNA only, to target planets including a (yet not existing) technology that will act as a kind of artificial uterus plus the needed technical infrastructure that will assist the new borns until they are adults. But that idea involves a very very big amount of equipment and new technolgy and there are the ethical questions and issues as well.

3rt option matches with the idea in the OP: we try to establish Earth based plant life forms on potential habitable planets and monitor the environmental development and conditions until such planet will be habitable for humans, which will take at least thousands of years. Once habitable, option 2 can be processed but ethical questions and issues have to be taken into consideration anyway.

Apart from that question about Life, The Universe and Everything...  I think this is the most interesting question of all...

The cynical part of me says NO, they'll just screw up their planet/s like we have ours, and the likelihood of them getting the hang of sustainability and leaving each planet better than when they arrived... well, if that was happening out there we would have met some aliens by now.  We haven't.....

The other thing is whether we have really 100% checked that the planet doesn't already harbor life of any kind.. If we seeded an already 'occupied' planet/system, that would be bad for a whole pile of reasons..  I already have concerns that we might have accidentally seeded Mars and the Moon.

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Apart from that question about Life, The Universe and Everything...

42, dude, 42.

• Like 1

... it's 54 actually.  Never trust a computer, I say.  And the reason you should never trust them - they were originally built by biological beings, and that's never a good idea.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, toast said:

3rt option matches with the idea in the OP: we try to establish Earth based plant life forms on potential habitable planets and monitor the environmental development and conditions until such planet will be habitable for humans, which will take at least thousands of years. Once habitable, option 2 can be processed but ethical questions and issues have to be taken into consideration anyway.

Correction, should read: Option1.

Nope - Nope - Nope

Not yet anyway.

We could end up creating a Homo Caelestis - close to us but not close enough - and  end up getting our entire little civilization whacked. Admittedly sometime far into the future.

I would like more research before we do anything like the good Mr Gros is suggesting.

Our we 100% certain that such seeding ( autonomous toolkits for life as they are described) would result in 100% homo sapiens as we know them 100% of the time?

Just my uneducated ramblings as far as this field goes.

I think we should do it in hope that something survives. Even if that means we've ruined our planet, dying off in the process. Perhaps something like us will develop on another world/s, better than we are. 

• Like 1

I think it' a good idea don't put all your eggs in one basket as they say

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the world not big enough!