Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

More 'wolflike' is the key to coyotes' future

3 posts in this topic

The future of the coyotes that roam forests, cities and suburbs from Newfoundland to Virginia could hinge on the animals becoming the "wolves" of the East Coast. And humans better get used to them.

Coyotes have lived in the East since the 1930s, and recent genetic tests have shown they are actually a mixture of coyote, wolf and dog. That's why Eastern coyotes tend to be bigger than their Western cousins.

And they might be getting increasingly similar to wolves. The hybrid carnivore has expanded its territory and thrived over the past eight decades, and increasingly wolflike traits are making it a larger, more adaptable animal equipped for survival on the East Coast, scientists say. 

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-wolflike-key-future-coyotes.html

5 people like this

I have a pack that passes through every now and then when I'm parked on my winter "landing pad". They don't bother me. I don't bother them. I like listening to them yip, howl, bark and carry on. The alpha female was howling about 30 ft away from me one night when I was catching my last smoke of the day. I howled back. She howled back it was cool as ****. :)  

4 people like this

Yep, we have a pack in my hunting grounds as well. Started seeing them about 5 years ago. I met one face to face on a trail about 2 years ago while bow hunting. He was much bigger then a regular coyote. I saw him before he saw me. We were probably 30 yards from each other. We had maybe a 10 second stare down, then he took off up the hill.

Me and my family often take walks in the woods in the summer. I always bring a gun with me now just in case. Or I bring my two Rotties. I know attacks are rare, but they do travel in packs and I have a 6 year old with me.  I doubt they'd ever attack a full grown man, unless they thought I was threating their pups, but a little kid? I'm not taking the chance.

3 people like this