Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Man to launch himself in home-made rocket

96 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A limousine driver turned self-taught scientist has announced plans to launch himself over a California ghost town in a home-made rocket.

Mike Hughes, who calls himself Mad Mike Hughes and says he doesn't believe in science, has spent years building his own steam-powered rocket in his garage.

The 61-year-old saved money from his $15-an-hour driving job and has spent $20,000 (£15,000) on the project, including the purchase of a $1,500 motorhome bought on Craigslist which he will attach the launch pad to.

Mr Hughes says he is the only man in history to design, build, and launch himself in a rocket, which he has made using mainly scrap parts.

https://news.sky.com/story/self-taught-rocket-scientist-mad-mike-hughes-announces-launch-over-california-ghost-town-11135430

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

he says he doesnt believe in science....twice in the article......

hmmm,,,

well anyway, best of luck to him, tho I wont hold my breath on his success

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy

What could possibly go wrong here ? :rolleyes:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

I hope Lil Chubby Kimmy doesn't kidnap him ...

~

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Russian Hare

I see gruesome liveleak video in his future...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad the Mighty

I'm sure this is not safe. Isn't this sort of thing regulated by the FAA? I can't imagine for one moment that it's legal.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'm sure this is not safe. Isn't this sort of thing regulated by the FAA? I can't imagine for one moment that it's legal.

 

I wouldnt be to concerned about a steam powered rocket tbh

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh

They need to send him on a trip to the moon with just enough fuel to get there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Can't we just sling shot him out of orbit towards the moon ?

That'll save a couple of more millions at least ...

~

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

theres a reason.....that even NASA dont use steam powered rockets

With luck he will at least get a Darwin award

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh

"For his launch at the weekend, which people will be able to see on internet pay-per-view, he plans to reach an altitude of about 1,800ft before pulling two parachutes."

So he spent 20k just to reach an altitude of just over half a kilometre. Does he think he's going to bump into the glass dome?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

"For his launch at the weekend, which people will be able to see on internet pay-per-view, he plans to reach an altitude of about 1,800ft before pulling two parachutes."

So he spent 20k just to reach an altitude of just over half a kilometre. Does he think he's going to bump into the glass dome?

 

 

Exactly.... now....this guy went higher for very little money

Quote

 

Lawrence "Larry" Richard Walters (April 19, 1949 – October 6, 1993), nicknamed "Lawnchair Larry" or the "Lawn Chair Pilot", was an American truck driver[1] who took flight on July 2, 1982, in a homemade airship. Dubbed Inspiration I, the "flying machine" consisted of an ordinary patio chair with 45 helium-filled weather balloons attached to it. Walters rose to an altitude of over 15,000 feet (4,600 m) and floated from his point of origin in San Pedro, California, into controlled airspace near Los Angeles International Airport. His flight was widely reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters


 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

I gotta give it to him on this one ... for 20K that's one 'ell of a ride ... :lol:

~

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I gotta give it to him on this one ... for 20K that's one 'ell of a ride ... :lol:

~

For 20 grand I would stick him in my Meeting's pumpkin chunking trebuchet. He'd probably get further.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
1 minute ago, Piney said:

For 20 grand I would stick him in my Meeting's pumpkin chunking trebuchet. He'd probably get further.

Well ... he did put his thing-a-ma-bob jig together himself ... :lol:

~

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh

He can achieve a higher altitude in a hot air balloon.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
7 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

He can achieve a higher altitude in a hot air balloon.

He doesn't believe in orbs!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vlad the Mighty
59 minutes ago, seeder said:

theres a reason.....that even NASA dont use steam powered rockets

With luck he will at least get a Darwin award

actually that's more or less how spacecraft maneuvering thrusters work, by emitting chemically generated bursts of steam. it's to do with action and reaction. The question is though, whether it would be able to produce enough thrust to overcome gravity (even to the modest height expected) in non-zero G conditions. Though even he's not hoping to attain escape velocity, at least.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
7 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

actually that's more or less how spacecraft maneuvering thrusters work, by emitting chemically generated bursts of steam. it's to do with action and reaction.

 

But he isnt trying to manoeuvre in space, he is trying to lift off

heres how the rest of the world does it, steam dont burn!!

nn20131108a1a.jpg

Edited by seeder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

well, he may or may not fly as intended, i would not be too sure of either

here is a video of a plane that 13 year old kid build,  before seeing it, i would not believe this was possible with normal configuration plane, yet it is.

and i have been building \flying rc\cl planes since i'm 10, i still do it with kids, hopefully i can get a plan of this one and we can build one just like that

 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
20 minutes ago, seeder said:

 

But he isnt trying to manoeuvre in space, he is trying to lift off

heres how the rest of the world does it, steam dont burn!!

nn20131108a1a.jpg

Steam ejected at pressure gives thrust though....how much thrust is another thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, seeder said:

 

But he isnt trying to manoeuvre in space, he is trying to lift off

 

that is how all rockets take off, a rocket engine is basically a huge  truster. steam rockets are nothing new, they go back hundreds of years, they never caught on, since oxygen and hydrogen mix, or even gun power work a lot better

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh
56 minutes ago, aztek said:

well, he may or may not fly as intended, i would not be too sure of either

here is a video of a plane that 13 year old kid build,  before seeing it, i would not believe this was possible with normal configuration plane, yet it is.

and i have been building \flying rc\cl planes since i'm 10, i still do it with kids, hopefully i can get a plan of this one and we can build one just like that

What does any of that have to do with building and flying a rocket?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy

"He says he has put out enough food for his four cats in case anything goes wrong."

I hope that's one big pile of cat food.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.