Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man to launch himself in home-made rocket

Still Waters

8 minutes ago, brizink said:

Seeder, actually the curvature of the earth is not observable from the sea. That curve that you see is the disposition between the surface and the height of you the observer coupled with the lensing effect created by our eye shape. The earth still isn't flat though lol. But I do think cosmology should be questioned until there's no doubt left.

From just 3 m above the surface, you can see the horizon 6.2 km apart. If you are 30 m high, then you can see up to 20 km far away. This is one of the reasons why the ancient cultures, at least since the sixth century BC, knew that the Earth was curved, not flat. They just needed good eyes. You can read first-hand Pliny (1st century) on the unquestionable spherical shape of our planet in his Historia Naturalis.

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/7283/how-high-must-one-be-for-the-curvature-of-the-earth-to-be-visible-to-the-eye

However, you can detect the curve of the Earth from ground level at the coast with a pair of binoculars – just look for distant ships on the horizon and you’ll see that their hulls start to disappear before their masts and other superstructure. Ancient Greek scientists, who spotted this without any optical aids, used this to conclude that the Earth was round.

https://www.quora.com/At-what-altitude-do-you-see-the-curvature-of-the-Earth

• Like 1

Hey Mad Mike, 

You could try climbing the Rockies, they are considerably higher than 1800 feet and will give you a panoramic view of the "flat earth" in all it's mysterious glory. 

• Like 2

The flat earth society makes money off of its YouTube video views. some of the garbage they produce gets millions of hits. They want blind followers, they certainly don't want anybody to prove them wrong and stop the cash flow. That's why rapper BoB couldn't raise any cash to buy a cubesat on his

• Like 3

have everyone seen his parachute, concerned  ?

Will I buy the PPV? Hell no. Will I watch this on YouTube a week later? Absolutely. 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2017 at 3:07 PM, seeder said:

theres a reason.....that even NASA dont use steam powered rockets

NASA does use steam powered rockets. The main engines in the shuttle, and soon in the Space Launch System, burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. The exhaust is about 97% water vapor - i.e. steam.

If this madman were to make it into orbit, how would he explain that!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

NASA does use steam powered rockets. The main engines in the shuttle, and soon in the Space Launch System, burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. The exhaust is about 97% water vapor - i.e. steam.

I have a feeling that he doesn't get quite the same isp as NASA does. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Willis said:

burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.     as you said... BURNING produces the thrust, steam may be the exhaust component but its the power of the BURNING of the fuel mix which gives the initial thrust

example:

challenger-02-The-Space-Shuttle-taking-o

• Like 1

OMG....he already did this before....this vids date is 2015

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

burn liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen.     as you said... BURNING produces the thrust, steam may be the exhaust component but its the power of the BURNING of the fuel mix which gives the initial thrust

example:

challenger-02-The-Space-Shuttle-taking-o

I do know how a rocket engine works. I was actually making a bit of a joke. I can't find any details in the reference, but would imagine the flat earth man is either catalyzing hydrogen peroxide to produce his steam or is using a "hot-roc" I made one of those myself as a university project. Just a small one with about a liter of water. The first flight reached a couple hundred meters. But it blew up on the second try.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I have a feeling that he doesn't get quite the same isp as NASA does. :rolleyes:

I would agree with that. The legendary rocket man Robert Truax made a steam powered rocket for Evel Knievel back in the 1970's. That flight failed, but Knievel survived. I can remember watching it live on TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skycycle_X-2

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

I do know how a rocket engine works. I was actually making a bit of a joke. I can't find any details in the reference, but would imagine the flat earth man is either catalyzing hydrogen peroxide to produce his steam or is using a "hot-roc" I made one of those myself as a university project. Just a small one with about a liter of water. The first flight reached a couple hundred meters. But it blew up on the second try.      

On the same principle as this , but on a slightly larger scale Bell Rocket Belt.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2017 at 3:08 PM, Rlyeh said:

"For his launch at the weekend, which people will be able to see on internet pay-per-view, he plans to reach an altitude of about 1,800ft before pulling two parachutes."

So he spent 20k just to reach an altitude of just over half a kilometre. Does he think he's going to bump into the glass dome?

found this,

the Martin Jetpack was flown to around 1500m (5000ft), and the rocket man will get to  " reach an altitude of about 1,800ft"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seeder said:

OMG....he already did this before....this vids date is 2015

Well, you know what they say, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still end up in a pile of home-made rocket parts."

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

On the same principle as this , but on a slightly larger scale Bell Rocket Belt.

Thanks for the link. I wonder if the legendary geologist Gene Shoemaker actually flew using the rocket belt. His ambition was to go to the moon. He wasn't able to get on the Apollo program, but one of his students Jack Schmitt flew on Apollo 17. Sadly, Shoemaker was killed in a car crash in the late 1990's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Will I buy the PPV? Hell no. Will I watch this on YouTube a week later? Absolutely. 

Or LiveLeak if it's really gory.

• Like 1

Well I'm impressed that he put it together at all, he does not seem to have enough brain power to tie a shoelace.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Well I'm impressed that he put it together at all, he does not seem to have enough brain power to tie a shoelace.

Well neither did einstien but...

Before leaving he should have the best meal of his life....

Doesn't he have a wife to tell him this is not a good idea?

• Like 5

On 11/20/2017 at 7:14 AM, seeder said:

Exactly.... now....this guy went higher for very little money

So that's where Larry went.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Well neither did einstien but...

Einstein had an IQ of 160 yet you are saying he " does not seem to have enough brain power to tie a shoelace.", why?

• Like 3