Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite current shows

Myles

I've been watching Ghosted.   I wouldn't say it is good, but I'll give it some more time.

Same with Last Man on Earth.   The novelty is wearing off.  

Man with a Plan is much better than I thought it would be.  I didn't watch the first season. 

Kevin Probably Saves the World.   It is interesting.  Good family show. 

The Middle.

Designated Survivor. 

The Goldbergs

The Mick

Last Man on Earth sucks now (though the latest episode was hilarious with all the feminism wordplay). You're supposed to wait until season 8 or something before having kids and ruining a show.

The rest of those shows aren't really my thing. I prefer Cable shows like Shameless, The Sopranos, Oz, Ray Donovan, Mr Robot, Westworld, Outlander, etc. Actually, I have seen literally every original show from HBO, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, Starz, FX, AMC and BBC (it actually has some high quality shows -  Line of Duty is absolutely amazing), with maybe a total of 7-10 exceptions. I'm an absolute TV junkie.

I actually went through this list and watched pretty much all the original shows from the past 20 years.

If you like Star Trek then the latest one was actually really good. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's got a good story line and effects. I like the Klingons ,but they used a lot of stuff Gene Roddenberry rejected Including that ugly ship.....and the spore drive....yeah...I don't feel like that much typing.

OZ.....yeah....I haven't seen a movie or TV show yet that portrayed what it's like in prison or how people act correctly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

It's got a good story line and effects. I like the Klingons ,but they used a lot of stuff Gene Roddenberry rejected Including that ugly ship.....and the spore drive....yeah...I don't feel like that much typing.

OZ.....yeah....I haven't seen a movie or TV show yet that portrayed what it's like in prison or how people act correctly

Oz is the best show or film set inside a prison with the possible exception of The Shawshank Redemption. I actually enjoy it a lot more. So much so that I've watched the entire series something like 4 or 5 times.

Regarding Discovery, I also like the Klingons. I have no problem with any changes they've made and in my opinion they're actually more interesting. I was shocked to see Klingon boob in that sex scene though!

Also:

Spoiler

I see nothing wrong with the spore drive and in fact it's great sci fi. People are complaining that the tech is too advanced for that point in Star Trek history but it's obvious that the technology will be lost to The Federation and I suspect that they'll travel to other parallel universes using it, and perhaps this is how it is lost (I think they might already have ended up in another universe in the last scene of the mid season finale. Either that or they materialised inside the space station, destroying it, and that's what has caused the debri).

Actually, my main theory about Discovery is that they will be there for the beginning of The Temporal Cold War. I think the spore drive will end up being a time travel device and Lorca will probably found one of those time travel factions. 

All-in-all it's a great show, with incredible production values, a stellar cast and some really good acting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Hide contents

All-in-all it's a great show, with incredible production values, a stellar cast and some really good acting. 

That's true.

You might be right about the Temporal Cold War too.

• Like 1

@Piney You're Native American, yeah? Have you seen The Red Road, Banshee (which is in my top 3 all-time best shows) or Frontier? Do you have any recommendations for any other shows that explore Native American history or culture?

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

@Piney You're Native American, yeah? Have you seen The Red Road, Banshee (which is in my top 3 all-time best shows) or Frontier? Do you have any recommendations for any other shows that explore Native American history or culture?

The Red Road was based on New Jersey Indians and some of our activities. They used one person from our people as actor and advisor and she's a douchbag and NO I DO NOT LOOK LIKE JASON MOMOA!!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Red Road was based on New Jersey Indians and some of our activities. They used one person from our people as actor and advisor and she's a douchbag and NO I DO NOT LOOK LIKE JASON MOMOA!!!!!

Why not? I've loved him ever since Ronon Dex and his giant revolver (not a euphemism!) joined Stargate Atlantis.

• Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

Why not? I've loved him ever since Ronon Dex and his giant revolver (not a euphemism!) joined Stargate Atlantis.

If you look in Rogues Gallery III, I am built like a smaller version. But I wasn't a pill pusher. That was my mother and stepfather. ....Meh, at least they portrayed the cops as dirty as the Indians.

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

If you look in Rogues Gallery III, I am built like a smaller version. But I wasn't a pill pusher. That was my mother and stepfather. ....Meh, at least they portrayed the cops as dirty as the Indians.

What cops? What Indians?

And he was a drug dealer?

• Like 1

What cops? What Indians?

And he was a drug dealer?

Yeah, he was always going around and around with this cop  and he robbed a chemist. Like I went around and around with the State Police. Just because they don't like me. I do like Dex, I liked his Conan and Dothraki Khan Drogo too and I think I'm gonna like his Aquaman from what I seen.

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yeah, he was always going around and around with this cop  and he robbed a chemist. Like I went around and around with the State Police. Just because they don't like me. I do like Dex, I liked his Conan and Dothraki Khan Drogo too and I think I'm gonna like his Aquaman from what I seen.

He's great in Justice League.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of his shady past but I have one of those myself so I can't judge him too harshly :D 

• Like 1

He's great in Justice League.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of his shady past but I have one of those myself so I can't judge him too harshly :D 

That picture of me in the tank top wearing the radio. I didn't take that. I don't know who took it. Some dick with a telephoto lense.  I like using it so they know I have it, among other things. My whole tribe is shady.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Last Man on Earth sucks now (though the latest episode was hilarious with all the feminism wordplay). You're supposed to wait until season 8 or something before having kids and ruining a show.

The rest of those shows aren't really my thing. I prefer Cable shows like Shameless, The Sopranos, Oz, Ray Donovan, Mr Robot, Westworld, Outlander, etc. Actually, I have seen literally every original show from HBO, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Showtime, Starz, FX, AMC and BBC (it actually has some high quality shows -  Line of Duty is absolutely amazing), with maybe a total of 7-10 exceptions. I'm an absolute TV junkie.

I actually went through this list and watched pretty much all the original shows from the past 20 years.

Agree on Last Man on Earth.   I'm sticking with it for a bit though.  I think it needs a new strong character added to it. 

I'm more a sitcom guy.   Quick cheap easy laghs works for me.   Occasionally I'll get into hour long drama/adventure shows.   Then I binge watch and I try not to do that. 

I'm not a Star Trek person, so I rarely watch any of those types of shows.    Definitely not enough to talk spore drives from the show.   

I have been watching a Star Trek type show in The Orville.  Pretty good.  They mix a little comedy in there.   They do need to add a little more.  

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

Agree on Last Man on Earth.   I'm sticking with it for a bit though.  I think it needs a new strong character added to it. 

I'm more a sitcom guy.   Quick cheap easy laghs works for me.   Occasionally I'll get into hour long drama/adventure shows.   Then I binge watch and I try not to do that. 

I'm not a Star Trek person, so I rarely watch any of those types of shows.    Definitely not enough to talk spore drives from the show.   

I have been watching a Star Trek type show in The Orville.  Pretty good.  They mix a little comedy in there.   They do need to add a little more.  

Yeah, Orville is good, light, fun sci-fi.

If you like comedies you should check out Future Man that was released on Hulu last week. It's hilarious. 

I only really watch a few sitcoms type shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and Parks and Recreation. 

I've gotten hooked on the AMC line of programming since Breaking Bad (because they filmed it where I live).  That includes Better call Saul, The Walking Dead, Fear TWD, Preacher, Into the Badlands (but not so much Man Men or Comic Book Men).  From TNT, I watched Falling Skies and The Last Ship.  And from The History Channel, Ancient Aliens, Curse of Oak Island, Hunting Hitler, but not much more.  I'm not into reality programming but I do make exceptions and I enjoy the history involved in these.  I rarely watch network TV except for local news, although I have been wanting to watch The Brave since it too was filmed here.  There are a few places here in New Mexico that can double for the Middle and Near East.  Shows like Earth 2, No Country for Old Men, Crazy Heart, True Grit, Young Guns, Cowboys and Aliens, and Silverado showcase this state pretty well (the list is getting endless).  When Hollywood collapses, we could end up being the film capital of the world.

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

And from The History Channel, Ancient Aliens, Curse of Oak Island, Hunting Hitler, but not much more.

I do watch Curse of Oak Island.  Not really because I believe any treasure is there, but mostly to watch these morons operate.   They are all over the place. 

Ancient Aliens I cannot stomach.  They don't really do any real research, just make stuff up and present it as if it is true.   Shouldn't really be on the History Channel. 

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I do watch Curse of Oak Island.  Not really because I believe any treasure is there, but mostly to watch these morons operate.   They are all over the place. 

Ancient Aliens I cannot stomach.  They don't really do any real research, just make stuff up and present it as if it is true.   Shouldn't really be on the History Channel. 

I’m not sure I know what you mean by “all over the place”?  There is just so much you can do on a very small Island and produce an hour long weekly series.  They are just following the clues.  That’s what makes it interesting.  What troubles me is how much of this is staged?  I don’t mean events recreated for the camera but is this all a fake and the artifacts are salted?  I’m not sure I trust that Gary Drayton fella.  I still think that the spike found in the swamp is a railroad spike.  It’s still a mystery and I’m hooked on how will it end?

That’s the one thing I don’t like about AA and that is that they push that everything about early man was influenced by aliens.  I believe that aliens exist and that they visited here and that they still might be here and that Man has intermingled with them but Man doesn’t owe his existence to them.  The only research done is that of observation and interviews with SMEs.  The show is about using logic and reason.  It doesn’t resolve anything, but hopefully, it opens the mind.  I think that the one thing that AA has right is that Man’s history needs to be rewritten because we have much of it wrong.  Now, how much are aliens involved in that, I do not know but it’s not a dominant role.  I see aliens as just another people very much how the Native Americans initially saw the first Europeans.

And I swear that if I hear Robert Clotworthy proclaim “could it be true” on either show just one more time, I’m going to find where he lives and burn his house down!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I’m not sure I know what you mean by “all over the place”?  There is just so much you can do on a very small Island and produce an hour long weekly series.  They are just following the clues.  That’s what makes it interesting.  What troubles me is how much of this is staged?  I don’t mean events recreated for the camera but is this all a fake and the artifacts are salted?  I’m not sure I trust that Gary Drayton fella.  I still think that the spike found in the swamp is a railroad spike.  It’s still a mystery and I’m hooked on how will it end?

And I swear that if I hear Robert Clotworthy proclaim “could it be true” on either show just one more time, I’m going to find where he lives and burn his house down!

"A rock that looks like it might be a face"?   "Could it be" that the Knights Templer sailed here, buried treasure and carved a rock on another island to lead them back to the treasure? 

What I meant by all over the place is how, especially in past seasons" would only spend a little time at each possible location.   I understand they jump around to keep the show interesting, but it gets tiresome. 

They seem to make many poor decisions.   Not sure if it is staged or not.  Like the experienced diver.   They had him on a clock, yet left him down there past the time and almost faced a tragedy.  

I'm rooting for them to find something though.

3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I've gotten hooked on the AMC line of programming since Breaking Bad (because they filmed it where I live).  That includes Better call Saul, The Walking Dead, Fear TWD, Preacher, Into the Badlands (but not so much Man Men or Comic Book Men).  From TNT, I watched Falling Skies and The Last Ship.  And from The History Channel, Ancient Aliens, Curse of Oak Island, Hunting Hitler, but not much more.  I'm not into reality programming but I do make exceptions and I enjoy the history involved in these.  I rarely watch network TV except for local news, although I have been wanting to watch The Brave since it too was filmed here.  There are a few places here in New Mexico that can double for the Middle and Near East.  Shows like Earth 2, No Country for Old Men, Crazy Heart, True Grit, Young Guns, Cowboys and Aliens, and Silverado showcase this state pretty well (the list is getting endless).  When Hollywood collapses, we could end up being the film capital of the world.

I'm bored with TWD, but generally AMC has good shows. Halt and Catch Fire was great and I think you'd like AMC's Hell on Wheels, a show set just after the Civil War about the railroads. The Son is another historically set show starring Pierce Brosnan and revolves around fights with Native Americans and the birth of the oil industry. I've only seen the first episode so far but will get to it probably sometime in December. And it goes without saying that Breaking Bad and to a lesser extent Better Call Saul are masterpieces. Also, Rubicon was a great conspiracy show (still worth watching even though it was cancelled after 1 season), The Killing was really well done and TURN: Washington Spies might also interest you, though I haven't been able to get into it yet. They (AMC) also have the licence for The Night Manager and Humans, two really good British shows. Badlands is just okay, due to low quality writing.

Regarding TNT, Falling Skies is decent but not great (the writing is really crap sometimes), but The Last Ship is a great, popcorn-type show. I think Good Behavior is on TNT as well, about a con-woman who ends up with an assassin. I was really surprised by how good the show is, the writing and acting are top notch. And Animal Kingdom, the show on TNT based on the Aussie film by the same name about a family of thieves, is absolutely brilliant. You should check that out as well because it's one of the best shows airing anywhere in the world right now.

But if you want to watch better shows than AMC produce (with the exception of Breaking Bad) from other Cable outlets like HBO or Showtime then I'd be happy to give you recommendations from them.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

"A rock that looks like it might be a face"?

I don’t believe that is a face.  That’s Scotoma.  But I do think markers were left behind, I.e. Nolan’s Cross.

"Could it be"

Now your house is toast!  :ph34r:

that the Knights Templer sailed here, buried treasure and carved a rock on another island to lead them back to the treasure? 

I believe that is very possible that they did.  If you had a treasure (secrets) like what we think the Templars owned and God (pretty much what the Pope was over Europe) ordered your demise, you’d go to Hell to hide it.  At that time, the New World was off the radar of the known world.  We see in works by Charles Mann and Gavin Menzies that many other cultures found their way to the Western Hemisphere.  That sea voyages, although treacherous, were not impossible.  And the Templars were perhaps the most accomplished in many skills and knowledge.

What I meant by all over the place is how, especially in past seasons" would only spend a little time at each possible location.   I understand they jump around to keep the show interesting, but it gets tiresome. 

That’s just timing of cutaways.  It’s a standard part of filmmaking.  Stuff that doesn’t advance the story isn’t included.  Every frame has a meaning.

They seem to make many poor decisions.   Not sure if it is staged or not.  Like the experienced diver.   They had him on a clock, yet left him down there past the time and almost faced a tragedy.  

I won’t call that a poor decision.  You had a professional diver that had probably been through this process many times and a decompression chamber on-site.  It’s a drama that makes for good TV.  But there was no real danger.

I'm rooting for them to find something though.

I think they have already found enough to prove the point.  But yeah, it would be nice to have something solid and tangible.  It would definitely rewrite history.

39 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I won’t call that a poor decision.  You had a professional diver that had probably been through this process many times and a decompression chamber on-site.  It’s a drama that makes for good TV.  But there was no real danger.

So you think they lied to make drama?    I can believe that.  

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm bored with TWD,

It’s just getting good.  What was boring was the “oh, another walker threat”.  The real threat is with the living.  Of course, if they want to go the next level, if a horde reaches critical mass such that it becomes conscious then it can direct its members to open doors and what not to get at the living.  Then you’d see Rick under a flag of truce negotiating with the Queen-collective.

but generally AMC has good shows.

It’s their turn in the sun for sure.  Bringing comics to life is good business right now.

Halt and Catch Fire was great

I watched the first season and enjoyed it.  Wasn’t able to keep up in the subsequent seasons.

and I think you'd like AMC's Hell on Wheels, a show about the railroads, set just after the Civil War.

Loved this series.  I was expecting O’Brien to beam Todd the Wraith into Bohannon’s shack.  The main theme was awesome.

The Son is another historically set show starring Pierce Brosnan and revolves around fights with Native Americans and the birth of the oil industry. I've only seen the first episode so far but will get to it probably sometime in December.

This is a great show.  Brosnan is an all out bast-ard in the way he screws everybody.  But he gets his philosophy from his time as being a captive of the Native Americans.  And his sons are a piece of work, but I think his granddaughter will be the heir-apparent.  This is not Bonanza or High Chaparral.

And it goes without saying that Breaking Bad and to a lesser extent Better Call Saul are masterpieces.

You know, people were still coming by the White residence and throwing a pizza from Venezia’s on the roof.  Just recently, the current owners have erected a fence around the property.

Also, Rubicon was a great conspiracy show (still worth watching even though it was cancelled after 1 season), The Killing was really well done and

Never got to watch these.

TURN: Washington Spies might also interest you, though I haven't been able to get into it yet.

Loved the first season but haven’t had the time to follow it.

They also have the licence for The Night Manager and Humans, two really good British shows.

Again, I’ve wanted to watch Humans but don’t have the time.

Badlands and Falling Skies are decent but not great (the writing is really crap sometimes),

Since Falling Skies was character driven and when it came time to wrap things up, they rushed the end.  How many times does one need to kill the Baron?  But I love the characters, The Widow, Sunny, Waldo, Bajie.

but The Last Ship is a great, popcorn-type show.

Very well researched and written.  Great Navy recruiting tool.  They run into a corner now or then that requires suspension of disbelief.

I think Good Behavior is on TNT as well, about a con-woman who ends up with an assassin. I was really surprised by how great the show is.

I’ve seen the teasers.  It looks interesting.

And Animal Kingdom, the show on TNT based on the Aussie film by the same name about a family of thieves is absolutely brilliant. You should check that out as well because it's one of the best shows airing anywhere in the world right now.

For some reason, the ads turn me off.

But if you want to watch better shows than AMC produce (with the exception of Breaking Bad) from other Cable outlets like HBO or Showtime then I'd be happy to give you recommendations from them.

I don’t get HBO or Showtime anyway.  I have plenty now to keep me busy.  But thank you anyway.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you think they lied to make drama?    I can believe that.  

No, they didn’t lie.  They hyped the situation.  I wish they wouldn’t do that but it’s part of storytelling.

• Like 1

It just popped into my head and I thought I'd post: in Last Man on Earth, the way Tandy says "oooh, farts", absolutely gets me every time. I don't know why but the way he says it is hilarious to me. I always end up laughing.

And this is my favourite scene. Having had 4 brothers it resonates both for the emotional payoff and the joy of 

Smashing your brother in the balls

• Like 1