Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen Mental Health is Declining

Colt Storm

16 hours ago, Kismit said:

An argument could be made that poor nutrition and less sporting or exercising opportunities exist for poorer families, than wealthy ones.

That's an important point. However, you can exercise anywhere.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm a ginger. So yeah I survived that. Always wonder why most people hate gingers? 

I agree with you, I've so sympathy either. 

Are you kidding? I love redheads! I'm talking about Celtic women and Irish Setters. I don't get the ginger hate.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Are you kidding? I love redheads! I'm talking about Celtic women and Irish Setters. I don't get the ginger hate.

My 2 grandsons are redheads. They get it from their mother. ;)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I haven't hear of many women proclaiming their adoration for a red headed man. I know of only 3. My wife, an African-American girl I knew in high school who had a habit of pinching my butt, and a Hispanic lady who would just blush and stare. 

2 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

My red hair came from my Irish great great granny. Her huband was native American. So yeah. I'm rather odd looking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

i've been told technically i'm a millenial :blink: but this generation 20 and below are some real soft humans!

I think that's wishful thinking on your part. ;) Seriously, American Millennial men and British Millennial women really are weaker than their peers in past generations. Scientific studies show it. They have weaker grips. The men have less testosterone. I linked to related articles in another thread. That was after some folks, more or less, accused me of being a Generation X supremacist. Some Millennial people are among the best people in the world, but many Millennial guys are wimps in all ways.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

My red hair came from my Irish great great granny. Her huband was native American. So yeah. I'm rather odd looking.

Ah, hence the reason of no ID in the Rogues Gallery thread.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

There must be Celts in the woodpile. Western Scotland is the "reddest" region in the world.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Ah, hence the reason of no ID in the Rogues Gallery thread.

I'm not ugly. A few do know what I look like. But the day when everyone does. Not sure when that'll be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I haven't hear of many women proclaiming their adoration for a red headed man. I know of only 3. My wife, an African-American girl I knew in high school who had a habit of pinching my butt, and a Hispanic lady who would just blush and stare. 

They keep it to themselves. They're closet carrot farmers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I think that's wishful thinking on your part. ;) Seriously, American Millennial men and British Millennial women really are weaker than their peers in past generations. Scientific studies show it. They have weaker grips. The men have less testosterone. I linked to related articles in another thread. That was after some folks, more or less, accused me of being a Generation X supremacist. Some Millennial people are among the best people in the world, but many Millennial guys are wimps in all ways.

Not exactly a badge of honor i wear around :lol:

The "old" guys in the football threads were the ones who brought that "technicality" to my attention,they know who they are <_< :lol:..I'm 33 and thought i was the end of gen X,turns out my age group was the begining of the millenial! :w00t:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Look at it this way...at least people don't call you an old fart. :lol:

• Like 4

My greatest joys as a child were found while digging in the dirt and getting grass stains on my knees. When a child’s curiosity is funneled into the internet, then there’s no need to go outdoors and catch fireflies in a jar or chase frogs or pick a bouquet of dandelions to give to your Mom. Life becomes flat and two-dimensional when you’re sitting in front of a screen.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, simplybill said:

My greatest joys as a child were found while digging in the dirt, getting grass stains on my knees, catching lightning bugs in a jar.... When a child’s curiosity is funneled into the internet, then there’s no need to go outdoors and discover real bugs, catch frogs, or pick a bouquet of dandelions to give to your Mom. Life becomes flat and two-dimensional when you’re sitting in front of a screen.

I still let lightening bugs land on my hand and I've never picked up a frog, to this day, without it peeing on me. Stick bugs still catch me by surprise. Skinned knees and dirty clothes were the norm.

I would have been the Michael Jeter character in the movie The Green Mile...making friends with the mouse. :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

But without some form of coaching until you can reach a stage of self motivated goal setting, and have a proper understanding of physiology, the average person would get bored and not exercise. 

Organised sports help initiate a desire to achieve. But they cost money.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Organised sports help initiate a desire to achieve.

This is why so many people, including me, are opposed to the random participation trophies. The desire to win has been taken away by political correctness and personal achievements are being downplayed. It leaves little initiative to be the best you can be. It often happens in classrooms too.

• Like 6

On 22/11/2017 at 6:43 AM, acidhead said:

Just as I figured after clicking the link and reading it.. more Marxist crap.. the gap between the rich and poor BS...

Communism is the answer

Get a grip.  You have the best opportunity male or female to get ahead in your life then ever before. Just do it.  Quit complaining.  Go do it.

I agree 100%. Problem is for many it's easier to complain about what others have and do. Instead of doing them selves. 

Rubbish this is the weakest argument for not getting out I've ever read. Farmers won't shoot anyone. Just don't damage crops. There are public paths and bridel ways in every part of the UK if you look. Every school has training on those fields for a variety of sports. Join a team  No excuse. Other fields with dog walkers. They are public parks for everyone to use, kick a ball throw a frisby. You don't need a park to go jogging. Plus a 1001 clubs, pools and gyms to choose from. Now you could have just said "weather's a bit crap to be going outside here" and that would have been fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Herschel Walker.

Herschel’s commitment to his workouts was religious — he never missed a day. He would crank out his push-ups and sit-ups during TV commercial breaks at night, and did his sprints on the hills and fields near his home 

Then you have the Dynamic Tension Program created and used by Charles Atlas. The thing is, you literally can exercise anywhere and losing weight is a number game. You'd be surprised how many calories you consume just through soda pop, tea, coffee, anything that's basically liquid sugar. Even just doing full body isometrics is good enough in the beginning, plus walking whenever and wherever possible. Most schools have a track and/or football field right? The only excuse is the one you make. Because if you want it you'll get it. Then again, we need to teach kids motivation through rewards. I did that with mine. That's why 2 of them have free rides in college. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kismit said:

But without some form of coaching until you can reach a stage of self motivated goal setting,

You know what did this for me? A toy. When I was a kid I wanted this toy (can't remember what it was). My dad told me that if I did extra chores and saved up my money, when I had earned it we'd come back and get it. So I did that, a few weeks later we went back and I didn't want it. So I saved up a few more weeks and got a NES game. This taught me that if I really wanted something I needed to earn it. It taught me to focus on my goals and make it happen. Now we have quick fix goals. Trophies in games were all you have to do is fulfill a task. I feel that this just fosters instant gratification in a lot of kids/teens, hell even adults. How many of us remember the feeling of finally beating Super Mario Bros or Castlevania on the NES. There wasn't a trophy earned, the ending wasn't even good, but that feeling that was golden. Especially Castlevania.<_< Damn medusa heads.

Even something as simple as working out can be done anywhere. The difference between a goal and a wish is how much energy you put behind them, and the results. You can spend a lot of time wishing and nothing will happen, if you spend the same amount of time acting on your goal it can happen. It's the excuses people make for themselves. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kismit said:

But without some form of coaching until you can reach a stage of self motivated goal setting, and have a proper understanding of physiology, the average person would get bored and not exercise. 

seem like excuses for lack of will\desire, and plain laziness. 

Edited by aztek

12 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

There must be Celts in the woodpile. Western Scotland is the "reddest" region in the world.

'Graubelle Man' ... at 00:54

~

[00.06:56]

~

... 'smooth hands' ....

:yes:

~

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

The "old" guys in the football threads were the ones who brought that "technicality" to my attention,they know who they are <_< :lol:..I'm 33 and thought i was the end of gen X,turns out my age group was the begining of the millenial! :w00t:

Different folks have different beginnings and ends of the age groups. I don't even believe in the concept of generations as pop culture defines them. The oldest Generation X members have more in common with the youngest Baby Boomers, and the youngest Generation X members have more in common with the oldest Millennials. What do people have in common with other people who were college freshmen when they were first born? My theory is that you share a generation with people who are older or younger than you by four or five years. Their labels mean nothing. You all experienced the same things at the same time, and you had the same life touchstones. I'm smack dab in the middle of Generation X no matter how I do the math. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kismit said:

Organised sports help initiate a desire to achieve. But they cost money.

I don't believe that. Kids don't need coaches or teams. They can exercise through play that is not organized. They have been doing so for thousands of years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Herschel Walker.

Herschel’s commitment to his workouts was religious — he never missed a day. He would crank out his push-ups and sit-ups during TV commercial breaks at night, and did his sprints on the hills and fields near his home 

Then you have the Dynamic Tension Program created and used by Charles Atlas. The thing is, you literally can exercise anywhere and losing weight is a number game. You'd be surprised how many calories you consume just through soda pop, tea, coffee, anything that's basically liquid sugar. Even just doing full body isometrics is good enough in the beginning, plus walking whenever and wherever possible. Most schools have a track and/or football field right? The only excuse is the one you make. Because if you want it you'll get it. Then again, we need to teach kids motivation through rewards. I did that with mine. That's why 2 of them have free rides in college. 

We played baseball and football without coaches or teams. Our teams weren't organized. Many professional athletes grew up like that. They first developed their skills in their neighborhoods. They played baseball in sandlots. They played football in local fields. They played basketball on neighborhood courts. Kids don't need constant interference and supervision.

• Like 3