Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Colt Storm

Teen Mental Health is Declining

92 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Colt Storm
Quote

Around 2012, something started going wrong in the lives of teens.

In just the five years between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. teens who felt useless and joyless – classic symptoms of depression – surged 33 percent in large national surveys. Teen suicide attempts increased 23 percent. Even more troubling, the number of 13- to 18-year-olds who committed suicide jumped 31 percent.

http://theconversation.com/with-teen-mental-health-deteriorating-over-five-years-theres-a-likely-culprit-86996

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acidhead

Just as I figured after clicking the link and reading it.. more Marxist crap.. the gap between the rich and poor BS...

Communism is the answer

Get a grip.  You have the best opportunity male or female to get ahead in your life then ever before. Just do it.  Quit complaining.  Go do it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit
5 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Just as I figured after clicking the link and reading it.. more Marxist crap.. the gap between the rich and poor BS...

Communism is the answer

Get a grip.  You have the best opportunity male or female to get ahead in your life then ever before. Just do it.  Quit complaining.  Go do it.

An argument could be made that poor nutrition and less sporting or exercising opportunities exist for poorer families, than wealthy ones.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

I'd rather be more concerned with mental hygiene more than anything else ...

~

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76

Its the drug companies pushing suicide pills on these kids. More and more are being prescribed everyday.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scrunchkruckets

I think its all to do with self worth and esteem. For **** sake build your child up tell them they are worthy show bloody interest in them.. I often see kids just sitting in their rooms all day on computer games no contact with the parents and not even eating.. Also I see them getting angry at the game.. Parents just leaving them to it.. I think Emotional connection and building up is the key personally.. Plenty of good books on how to raise strong happy kids.. Maybe it should be mandatory for parents to do a course on this. Honestly the pressure for teens these days is unreal they need to be prepared mentally and that's the parents job..

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

I remember as a kid that if your neighborhood had other kids in it. All of you would gather after school and play. Or you'd get together are a friends house and just do stuff. I remember when multiplayer meant having your best friend over to play Mortal Kombat and/or Street Fighter 2. Now though, as I drive to work I see where dozen of kids are being picked up for school, yet when I'm on my way home no ones out. It didn't used to be like that. I'm with Piney on this. The internet can be a great source of information and knowledge, but to live your life on  it, base your existence on it. That's tragic. No wonder kids/teens have so many emotional problems. They can't deal with reality. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, Piney said:

Plus the whole "safe space" thing. Adversity is needed for proper social development . Crap! It's what drives evolution!

There is a huge difference in 'weak' people and 'strong' people. Strong people know how to deal with the upsets of life, sure they may not like it but they can handle it. Weak people throw temper tantrums and cry about imaginary oppression (SJW's anyone).

As a kid I was one of the 3 to 5 red heads in school. I got mocked and made fun of all the time. I hated it, but eventually I learned to ignore and tolerate it. Found that if I didn't react to the bullies, they stopped. The more I grew accustomed to this the less I cared, even going so far as to laugh at the joke and encouraging them with "C'mon be creative you can insult me better than that." Which shut them up fast. I do not understand why anyone would end their lives over online bullying. The solution is to shut off all social media and quit living an imaginary life. 

Go outside for at least 2 hours a day if possible. Even if you're reading a book. Feel the air, feel the suns warm, just enjoy it. And if you're going out with friends turn your phone off or on silent. Wait a week to answer emails (if possible) or do as I do and occasionally take breaks from online use. I disappear from UM for weeks even a few months at a time. That multiplayer you play 4+ hours a day is not that important. No one cares about how many trophies you've earned. No one cares if you're ranked no.1 in call of duty. Those achievements might make you feel good, but they amount to nothing in the real world. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, Piney said:

I have no sympathy for anyone who offs themselves over online bullying. It's Darwinism at work. I say the same thing. Shut the damn thing off. Words don't hurt. Trust me. I survived Camden County, New Jersey's school system.

I'm a ginger. So yeah I survived that. Always wonder why most people hate gingers? 

I agree with you, I've so sympathy either. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I'm a ginger. So yeah I survived that. Always wonder why most people hate gingers? 

I agree with you, I've so sympathy either. 

It's Eric Cartman's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, Piney said:

It's Eric Cartman's fault.

Not in my case I was a kid in the 80's, teen in the 90's. It's just a people thing. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Just now, XenoFish said:

Not in my case I was a kid in the 80's, teen in the 90's. It's just a people thing. 

I was a kid in the 70s and a teen in the 80s and in my schools they had mud bloods like me to mock so they didn't bother the gingers. Now being a mud blood is in style.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Hey Piney, what do you mean by a "mud blood"? All I can find are references to Harry Potter! Do people in NJ call those with Native American blood this term, or just any person of any mixed racial background?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
57 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Hey Piney, what do you mean by a "mud blood"? All I can find are references to Harry Potter! Do people in NJ call those with Native American blood this term, or just any person of any mixed racial background?

Any mixed race person in the school or county was a "mud blood". There was a total of 3 of us in the whole school. Puerto Ricans were considered "Spanish"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly
10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Any mixed race person in the school or county was a "mud blood". There was a total of 3 of us in the whole school. Puerto Ricans were considered "Spanish"

I'd love to have done an ancestry DNA on those idiots. Just about all modern humans are of mixed racial background. Basically, those morons are all 'mud bloods' themselves!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced

This thread saddens me, not just because of the subject matter but more because of the replies.   

We are going through unprecedented changes in all aspects of human life and those growing up now will (and do) face challenges we simply cannot appreciate.  You want to blame Facebook and Twitter? Well my generation invented and promoted them, not the youth of today.  The largest group on Facebook are from my generation, aged 35-54.  It is us driving the change in the world, it is us using social media and parenting these children, kids are just expected to keep pace and shut up about it.

In my youth I didn't have access to all of the pornography in the world, I didn't have access to 'legal highs', I wasn't expected to be 'metrosexual', 'new age' or understanding of every viewpoint out there.  I wasn't worried about pedophiles, global climate change or gross overpopulation of the world.  I didn't face globalisation on the scale it is today, I didn't have access to every forum and every dangerous world view and I certainly wasn't left to just fend for myself in such a world. I didn't have to 'take a selfie' everywhere I go just to prove how much fun I was having (when everyone is doing it, try being the one who doesn't). I wasn't bombarded with conflicting and confusing information from every angle and I learnt how to deal with boredom because the world wasn't a 24/7 entertainment fest.

I was allowed to play conkers in school without being slapped with a health and safety warning and I could kick a ball about in the street because there weren't 4 times as many cars on the road.  As a child there was a park with a BMX track at the end of my road, a youth club with a pool table and bowls, a community center and after school clubs - but not anymore, the fields have been built on, the youth club sold to build a supermarket and the community center turned into flats.  If I let my kid kick a ball in the street today i'd have angry parents out telling him to stop it.  Don't ride your bike on the pavement but don't ride it on the overcrowded and dangerous roads either,  don't play in the street but obviously don't play in the non-existent park with the child rapists either! 

Whatever the true causes are, and they will be multitudinous, it is not down to the 'weak kids' of today but rather the weakness (or lack of understanding) of those shepherding them through this brave new world. It is our generation (and up) causing this dysfunction and yet we want to blame the children for the choices they make within it?  Shameful really.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

In my youth I didn't have access to all of the pornography in the world, I didn't have access to 'legal highs', I wasn't expected to be 'metrosexual', 'new age' or understanding of every viewpoint out there.  I wasn't worried about pedophiles, global climate change or gross overpopulation of the world.  I didn't face globalisation on the scale it is today, I didn't have access to every forum and every dangerous world view and I certainly wasn't left to just fend for myself in such a world. I didn't have to 'take a selfie' everywhere I go just to prove how much fun I was having (when everyone is doing it, try being the one who doesn't). I wasn't bombarded with conflicting and confusing information from every angle and I learnt how to deal with boredom because the world wasn't a 24/7 entertainment fest.

 

I was a Redbonz hood rat in the "Crack eighties". I have bullet and stab wounds from when I was in school. There were dope dealers on every corner. We had pedophile cops and firemen and dope dealing coaches who knew they could get away with it. We also had every view out there because that is where all the minorities and trannies fled with their different choices,views and religions. The only problem with the parents is they are coddling them too much and allowing them to play with all that electronic trash. They are also allowing schools to do what parents should be doing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Narcisse

Several replies in this thread show the reason why there's little hope for humanity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced
15 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was a Redbonz hood rat in the "Crack eighties". I have bullet and stab wounds from when I was in school. There were dope dealers on every corner. We had pedophile cops and firemen and dope dealing coaches who knew they could get away with it. We also had every view out there because that is where all the minorities and trannies fled with their different choices,views and religions. The only problem with the parents is they are coddling them too much and allowing them to play with all that electronic trash. They are also allowing schools to do what parents should be doing. 

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here.  So you grew up in a rough area and didn't want to kill yourself ergo the answer is for people to stab and shoot each other and we won't have so many child suicides? Or are you saying these things toughened you up and so all kids should go through this in order to be 'strong'? Or that we should introduce kids to the potential horrors of the world early and forcibly? Isn't all this just the same as saying 'well my dad beat me so I'm beating you!'.

Playing with electronic trash? As you are doing to converse with us here? So the solution to this is just take it away from them even as we demand they spend ever more time in front of them? Schools promote use of tablet, phone and computer and society demands more technologically competent and capable children who can code and design in order to prepare themselves for 'the future'.  There are many more forms of 'screen time' coming in the form or VR and AR and so this isn't going to just go away.

Suicide is on the increase all across the Globe, and not just in children.  In fact the rates for over 65's has also increased dramatically and so maybe we should stop coddling them and take their screens away from them...

https://www.befrienders.org/suicide-statistics

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced
5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

No one cares about how many trophies you've earned. No one cares if you're ranked no.1 in call of duty. Those achievements might make you feel good, but they amount to nothing in the real world

Except they can do these days and the meteoric rise of competitive video gaming will only make this more so.  When you can earn millions every year from being the best at a computer game you can bet that this has an impact on the desirability of a medium.  Hell, if there had been these types of competition around when I was a kid I know for sure what I would have done.

The key to solving all of this is understanding, education and self imposed moderation - things us humans are terrible at doing, especially under capitalism (and yes, its the best of a bad lot).  I don't hold out much hope though as most people seem to think a brisk walk will sort all this out.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.