Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Granddaddy of hornet's nests' removal: video

Still Waters

Hornets built a nest the size of a small refrigerator inside a Patterson, Louisiana, shed, and Jude Verret was called to remove it. His footage of the harrowing process, posted to Facebook, has drawn millions of views.

The wasps audibly pelt the camera lens, sounding like rain, as professional bee remover Verret walks toward the nest. The buzzing activity ramps up as he dismantles what he calls "the granddaddy of hornet’s nests."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/11/hornets-nest-louisiana-removal-video/

• Like 4

I had 2 nests last summer, one inside the wall one inside the chimney... there's something that makes me feel all warm inside about the ones in the chimney suffocating from the smoke

How would you like to have been the first person who accidentally opened up the shed? 

I'd be running faster than Usain Bolt!

• Like 3

If you set up a vacuum cleaner near the entrance - how long would it take to suck up 90%?

Aren't these too lemon-yellow for hornets? The ones we have in Siberia have a slight orange tint. By the by, last summer I've seen a tree with the nest of wild hornets, it looked like a barely noticeable hole in a pine tree. Luckily I've noticed it just in time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom the Photon said:

If you set up a vacuum cleaner near the entrance - how long would it take to suck up 90%?

I got rid of a huge yellow jacket nest with a wet-vacuum. First take out the filter and put a few inches of water and some dish soap in the barrel, then duct tape a length of PVC pipe to the hose and place it about 1/2 inch from the nest opening at night when they are asleep. The next morning turn on the vac and watch the fun! As fast as they come out or try to return to the nest they are suck up, slammed into the inside of the vac and the soap acts as a surfactant which drowns them in about a minute. When virtually none were coming out again I opened it to see the results and there were thousands of dead yellow jackets. It's a safe way to get rid of them (if you are careful) with no poison and doesn't stir up the nest, but then even if it did it would still suck them in. 

• Like 3

That gave me the willies just watching that.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if they have only one queen for a nest that big ? Someone know if some species have multiple queens ? If it's only one, she's prolific !

Little fact my old dad God rest him told me about Hornets if you disturb a nest and stand still they leave you alone, run and they'll have you I tried it then lost my bottle legged it and sure enough I got stung afew times