Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alien Bacteria outside the ISS?

seeder

Am I the only killjoy here who'd be kinda 'meh' about alien microbes? :mellow:

I want me some pics of Pandora so I can watch blue cat people mate with their hair.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I want me some pics of Pandora so I can watch blue cat people mate with their hair.

Then you should get the Blu Ray. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

to be honest, I think if we ever find life locally to our solar system, it will most likely be bacteria.... but hey, thats MASSIVE news and still ALIENZ!!

• Like 4

he said that the microorganisms might have come from outer space.

Bit confused here...if they did not come from Earth then they must have come from space...so whats with the "might have" ? Or could they be floating high up in our atmoshere?

Anyway...still interesting what the tests might show.

• Like 3

Just now, freetoroam said:

Bit confused here...if they did not come from Earth then they must have come from space...so whats with the "might have" ? Or could they be floating high up in our atmoshere?

Anyway...still interesting what the tests might show.

Like I said, a toilet leak. ;) I guess they have to figure out how they got there, and then they know, whether they are from here or somewhere else. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Don’t bring it down to Earth :lol:

Its on its way......

microorganisms will be studied further on Earth.

https://www.rt.com/news/411039-living-bacteria-iss-surface/

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

And this will be how the zombie apocalypse begins.:lol:

We do not need bacteria from outer space to make zombies....we got drugs which already do that. :D

Note to the cosmonauts....please do not smuggle anything back here in your spacesuits.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

If extra-terrestrial microbes are found, it then proves that life exists outside of earth. If we confirm this, we can then start to take the idea of actual alien beings like the ones we imagine seriously. The idea stops becoming a far fetched fantasy.

1 hour ago, Timonthy said:

Don’t bring it down to Earth :lol:

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

And this will be how the zombie apocalypse begins.:lol:

Have we learned nothing?!

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, FLOMBIE said:

Probably just enterobacteria from a toilet leak. 

That's what I was thinking. They are extremophiles. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

If extra-terrestrial microbes are found, it then proves that life exists outside of earth. If we confirm this, we can then start to take the idea of actual alien beings like the ones we imagine seriously. The idea stops becoming a far fetched fantasy.

i have not come across many who say there is no other life forms out there,  but i have come across many who have far fetched fantasies such as greys, lizard people, abductions, probing and visitations in spaceships.....different kettle of fish to bacteria stuck on the side of a spacecraft and possible life somewhere in the universe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

i have not come across many who say there is no other life forms out there,  but i have come across many who have far fetched fantasies such as greys, lizard people, abductions, probing and visitations in spaceships.....different kettle of fish to bacteria stuck on the side of a spacecraft and possible life somewhere in the universe.

Wait. You're telling me you don't believe in lizard people? I thought the evidence was conclusive:D

At present we have no evidence of life existing outside the earth. The point I was trying to make was that it would mean there is a basis for the belief that it is not impossible that aliens as we imagine them - intelligent life -could have evolved in some form, somewhere else. It would be huge, because one would open up the theoretical possibility of the other. That's how I see it at least.

• Like 1

I knew Id read similar before, this NASA link from 2013

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Wait. You're telling me you don't believe in lizard people? I thought the evidence was conclusive:D 

Impossible is more like it. It's contrary to the known laws of biology and evolution.  

• Like 1

Seeder, you do understand this was on TASS / Russia Today?

Yes, those tests are most certainly needed........ Indeed, you'd think a good scientist would have done those tests, which are relatively quick and simple, before making ass-umptions....

If tests conclude these are in fact alien microbes then it would be just incredibly fantastic!  I feel somewhat reserved tho and have my doubts. Terrestrial critters have the most uncanny ability of being found pretty much anywhere and everywhere 

https://gizmodo.com/why-scientists-have-been-scared-of-space-germs-for-almo-1712562498

• Like 3

There was a similar story a few years ago, also from Russian news media. I think that time it might have been algae on the outside of ISS. Anyway, I never heard anything more about it so I guess it was fake news, guess it is this time too.

13 hours ago, seeder said:

to be honest, I think if we ever find life locally to our solar system, it will most likely be bacteria.... but hey, thats MASSIVE news and still ALIENZ!!

Still kinda hoping we'll eventually find some multicellular organisms either below the ice on Europa (or has that been refuted without doubt?) or somewhere in the atmospheres of the gas giants. You know some amoeba, sponge, worm or jelly things

In general I dunno how to feel about this. On one hand; Neat! Aliens! On the other: But it's just bacteria...I want some weird and exciting organisms I can keep as pets/potted plants/a mixture of both. And on the third: Yeah most likely those bacteria came from Earth and hung on to dear life out there because they are very resilient. 

• Like 1

It shoul not be to hard to check if they are alien. They woulb be completely different from all life on earth, no common ancestry so genetically they would be very different from any bacteria. Unless, of course, panspermia is correct. In that case they could share as commin ancestor with Earth life and be much harder to prove they are not local in origin.

• Like 2

This is an old news discovery, i think it was the russians who first notice the build up of plankton or phytoplanktin type organisms, then the nasa sent up a satellite to take some high res photos etc. To dismiss this as impossible or at the other extreme of non terrestrial origin is naive, extremophiles such as the water bear have proven that even earth organisms CAN survive in space and Imo our biosphere extends further than is generally accepted, even the famous tether incident looked to me far more like large amoebas or organisms like a sort of jellyfishlike lifeform etc than